Need fax Help!

Hello List, Moderators,

I’m after something simple to use similar to the XP fax client/fax printer. Hylafax seems an overkill.

HPlip app seems to expect an HP printer/scanner or fax machine. Is it true that hplip is an HP exclusive?

I’m using opensuse 11.2 with kde 4.3.1, but I would consider gfax. Gfax is not on my DVD. The docs for that on the hylafax site stop at 2008. Is an up to date Gfax a possibility?

I see most of the hylafax posts in the archive get redirected to the hylafax website. I’ve been thru most of that stuff, but much it’s out of date. Hylafax seems to be the basis for other apps.

I’m signed up for the Hylafax-user list, but I didn’t see any hylafax archives to browse thru.

If you are still with me here, I have an opensuse 11.2 with a dial-up internet. From the DVD I installed from I installed hylafax-4.4.4-19.3.i586 and client.

That install load a bunch of fax tools at places the hylafax docs don’t expect. Besides that their docs only go up to opensuse 10.2, tho there is some stuff or enterprise suse.

Let me leave this post here and see how well it is received! Heboland

heboland wrote:
> Let me leave this post here and see how well it is received! Heboland

i see it has been over 48 hours with no response…i can guess that
is because so few folks around here use FAX anymore…

i know i’ve not sent one in five or six years (maybe more) because
most anyone i would want to send to also has email and the ability to
view text, docs, images, pdf etc etc etc…

i know that doesn’t help you but it might point you to the way you
have to go…and, that is alone (unless someone else can answer
your questions)…

as far as you noting “docs stop at 2008” and “their docs only go up to
opensuse 10.2” i guess the documentation for steam railroad engineers
ended sometimes in the 1950, and for telegraph key operators even
earlier… :slight_smile:

good luck…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

At least fax has more users than floppies. lol!

Seriously, your best chance is to get hold of the last stable version of the sources and documentation and start from there. It should work, fax standards haven’t changed, only the number of users who also have computers have plunged since email and PDFs.

Thank you ken_yap, DenverD,
I thought this thread was a goner!

The rationale for wanting fax capacity is that financial or legal communication don’t trust email. Some form are not avialable in a database format.

What I was hoping to establish with this post was a connection with someone that has a fax program working.

For simple, low usage intentions maybe hplip or gfax could be make to work, but the doc trail is skimpy and old.

Hylafax is reported to do most everything, but it is one size fits all. Linux is a newcomer to hylafax, so it’s necessary to know if say opensuse 11.2 is like UNIX system V or like free BSD.

There’s no gui with hylafax, but several java clients exist. The seem to expect that hylafax is already working.

Hylafax has so many utilities that it’s a loose bundle of commands with no top level manual.

Following some old hylafax instuctions that actually end with a command, the result looks like this:

frank[2940] sendfax -n -D -d 503-392-3425 testfax.txt
request id is 1 (group id 1) for host localhost (1 file)

So where did this “fax” go? Why didn’t it dial?

I won’t get into the daemons, but but for now a working fax may be the fist Linux app I couldn’t get to work! Heboland

What FAX/modem card are you using? I suspect that it may be a configuration problem.

Figure out what sendfax is doing and trace the progress of your job. Did it put it in a queue somewhere? Does it have a log file you can examine? Same procedure as with any service. Sorry, no experience with fax for about 15 years I think so my trail is cold and I can only give you general debugging advice.

Thanks again guys,
My faxmodem is a USR 2976 PCI HW modem on ttyS4. One thing I feel confident of is that the modem is configured.

Yes, a queue would be a likely place for the fax to disappear into. The literature “speaks” of a faxq which is another of the daemons.

It doesn’t show up in the sysconfig runlevels list, but the OS kills it on shutdown.

Without the help from someone who has conquered this beast, I this thread is a waste of all our times.

Before we drop this thread does either of you have any information about Gfax? It’s apparently a gnome gui client for hylafax.

I added a gnome app repository, but Gfax isn’t on any repository I have configured.

I joined a gfax list, but it’s pretty quiet so far. They have a tarball and source rpm.

Except for Gfax info I’m ready to end this thread! Heboland

I’m going to throw my 2c worth in. I haven’t used fax utilities with Linux since suse 10. IIRC, I used efax and was able to set up a virtual printer (with efax-gtk), such that I could print to fax (much like in M$ Windows).

The efax package is still available for openSUSE 11.2

Webpin

Ubuntu faxing info

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/printing/C/faxing.html

The efax-gtk GUI front-end may be useful to you, but I couldn’t locate an openSUSE RPM for it. Maybe MalcomLewis :slight_smile: or one of the other package gurus could make a suitable package for you. Otherwise, you will have to install via tarball.

This might be helpful with respect to setting up a fax printer. Then faxing is convenient from any app.

Re: [opensuse] openSUSE and faxes

1. Create a fax printer. The easiest way is:
    as root:

/usr/sbin/lpadmin -p FaxPrinter -E -v socket://localhost:9900

Thank you deano_ferrari, I will look into this.

Building from tarball or source rpm shouldn’t be a problem for me. What I’ve seen so far is that eFax is not a free program, but they have a free trial package available.

Your links look interesting. I’ll post back after I check them out. Heboland

heboland wrote:
> I’ve seen so far is that eFax is not a free program, but they have a
> free trial package available.

i remember using WinFax in Win3.1, it wasn’t free either…

as you have found there are plenty fax thingies which are free–but
maybe “overkill” for your needs…i don’t know how it might be
overkill except in hard drive space (which is very cheap these days)
or setup time and complexity…

so, think how much it might be worth to you, if eFax saves you four
hours (or days) of fiddling and scratching your head while . . .

CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Hi
efax from the contrib repository is free (GPL). If you want me to
package up the latest efax-gtk I can do that for you?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 17 days 5:45, 5 users, load average: 1.24, 1.39, 1.46
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15

http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.2&p=1&q=efax-gtk

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 17 days 7:10, 4 users, load average: 0.46, 0.58, 0.68
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 195.36.15

Building from tarball or source rpm shouldn’t be a problem for me. What I’ve seen so far is that eFax is not a free program, but they have a free trial package available.

@heboland: eFax is NOT related to efax utility (as already mentioned by Malcolm).

Hi
efax from the contrib repository is free (GPL). If you want me to
package up the latest efax-gtk I can do that for you?

Thanks Malcolm, you’re are a star! :slight_smile:

I’m sure this will be appreciated by others who want to send/receive faxes. The efax and efax-gtk front-end provide the simplest way to get this functionality in Linux.

Now heboland should easily be able to send faxes with efax-gtk GUI (or within an app via fax printer). The only caveat is making sure he has his modem is correctly setup.

Thanks deano_ferrari, malcolmlewis, DenverD,
Deano, malcolmlewis, yes there is a free gpl version of eFax. I installed the latest version, but so far I’ve just read the man page.

Also I downloaded the eFax-Gtk tarball and the opensuse 10.x rpm. Neither of the -Gtk downloads is at the latest rev level of the repository eFax I installed.

Thank you malcolmlewis, for the offer to build a package for me, but I would like to try this first on my own. If I am successful, can I contribute my results to you?

I may be back again to ask for your help with this. Heboland

Deano, malcolmlewis, yes there is a free gpl version of eFax. I installed the latest version, but so far I’ve just read the man page.

Also I downloaded the eFax-Gtk tarball and the opensuse 10.x rpm. Neither of the -Gtk downloads is at the latest rev level of the repository eFax I installed.

Read carefully: What do you mean by eFax? Can you provide a description or link to the software?

I’m taking specifically about the free open source efax utility. I strongly suggest you install the openSUSE 11.2 RPMs (secifically for your openSUSE OS version). Malcom has kindly built an efax-gtk RPM for openSUSE 11.2 (after my request). Add the repo, he has pointed to here

Software.openSUSE.org

and efax from here

Index of /repositories/openSUSE:/Factory:/Contrib/openSUSE_11.2

Otherwise, I can’t help you any further.

Once efax and efax-gtk are installed (preferably via software manager), then a virtual printer can be set up via CUPS (taking advantage of the efax-gtk socket server) and configure efax-gtk as explained in the following references

man efax-gtk - GUI front end for efax program / Commandes destinées aux utilisateurs

Setting up fax using eFax-gtk setup using hsfmodem (Conexant) and open office. - LinuxQuestions.org

I’ve had this working way back with suse 10 and 10.2, so I know it works well.

heboland wrote:
> I would like to try this first on my own. If I am successful, can I
> contribute my results to you?

i like your attitude…stick around…and, when finally successful
consider contributing a new thread named something like “How to easily
add fax” to our community how-to at
http://forums.opensuse.org/information-new-users/unreviewed-how-faq/

and/or http://en.opensuse.org/SDB

oops, had you seen this:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Setting_up_a_Fax_Printer_with_Hylafax

hmmmm…i wonder, does efax/eFax (or Hylafax) also receive, and do you
need that also?

CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

hmmmm…i wonder, does efax/eFax (or Hylafax) also receive, and do you
need that also?

Yes, they are both capable of sending and receiving faxes. However, efax is easier to configure, and simpler to use.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Efax looks to be just the right size for me. I’ve installed some older versions, but I want to upgrade to the latest version before I go to efax-gtk for help.

Moderators please give me an opinion on this technical question:

Is ndesk-dbus-glib-devel the same as dbus-glib-devel in the opensuse 11.2 environment?

The build wants this - dbus-glib-devel. My package manager got me this - ndesk-dbus-glib-devel.

If they are equivalent in the opensuse 11.2 environment, I can edit the spec file accordingly.

If there is a difference, can you tell me where to get dbus-glib-devel?

Remember that I’m a dial-up user, so if I contribute an rpm and/or srpm I’ll have to send it somewhere. I can’t host it myself. Heboland