Mycomputer

I’m new to entire linux field … Want ask one think where is mycomputer> drives(c:, d:, e:,) how can browse them. Here it is all new to me:( but want to learn really

regards and thanks

Which desktop environment you are using?
If its KDE, you can see your partitions and data in Dolphin, Konqueror.
In Gnome it will be Nautilus.

Linux does not use drives; everything is in folders. So, for example, on my dual boot computer, all my Windows files are in a folder named ‘windows’. All your personal files and preferences are in a folder called ‘home/<user>’ which means that, when you upgrade or re-install, all your personal preferences are saved. Most of the other folders are system folders, organised according to the function they perform, not their location on a drive. As a new user you can assume that YaST will put all the programs you decide to install in the correct folder without you needing to know anything about it. As you grow more familiar with Linux, you may want to adjust certain things in the system folders but you only rarely need to know on what drive these folders are. So now forget about the physical location of things and see what you have in your /home/<user> folder.

What john_hudson says is correct, you are no longer in the Microsoft world. There are good reasons for the way Linux works. First of all security of your system (if a predatory piece of software were eventually able to find it’s way to Linux, the underlying structure would be difficult to guess since most infections rely on a drive based point of reference to name just one), Secondly, performance. physical drives are referred to by the computer bios as (for want of a less technical term) drive1, drive2, drive3, drive4 … and each of these has 4 partitions numbered 1,2,3,4. It’s a bit more complex than that but you get the drift I hope. In the system you are leaving, (Windows) drive are given letters C,D,E,F… So if you have 1 drive and only one partition it will always be C: . Add a second drive it will be D:. A third will be E: It gets scary if you started with one drive but several partitions as they would be named
c: d: e: … and you add a second drive. Suddenly, your drives become c: e: f: on the first drive and d: for the second. Anything installed before you added the second drive and that required files to be on other drive partitions would fail. Linux, handles all your drive organizations for you by setting up mount points (these appear to be simple folders but are actually access points to the physical drives and partitions).

As you become more familiar with Linux you will find, it will be easier to work with than what you are leaving behind. If you have Windows installed in a dual or triple boot scenario, you will find you can access those partitions and drives from with-in Linux by looking at the mount points /mnt /media /local
or /windows. Lets say you are using openSUSE since that is the Linux flavor here and you have 2 windows drives C: D: they will likely be found by looking
at /windows/windows_c and /windows/windows_d

hope this helps get you started and welcome to the forums.

because i tried mandriva 2010 spring, it has well defined mycomputer and drives(maybe not good). Just like that , I could able to play any video and .mp3 without confusion and more over 3d effects are good in that (the way max…min…etc) so where to adjust it. I tried desktop effects and i couldn’t find it. I had another installation of this(suse11.3) copy with genome desktop there 3d effects right away. thanks.

regards