My user experience with OpenSUSE 11.2

Like previous versions of OpenSUSE, the install was painless and fast. The overall experience is very polished. Application installation is a breeze. The only hitch I’ve encountered are a few one-click install games didn’t work for me. Alien Arena being one. Other than that, I love this release. If running 11.1, I definitely think it’s worth upgrading to 11.2.

Without a doubt, I consider OpenSUSE to be the best Linux for the no-fuss user. It’s like comparing a Mac to a PC. It’s a system that looks great and just works. However, I think it would benefit to simplify it’s defaults.

Now for my soapbox speech:

There was quite a controversy about choosing Firefox over Konqueror as the default browser. There’s the OpenOffice vs KOffice debate. And the Gnome vs KDE wars rage on. Here’s my 2 cents on said issues: As a Linux distribution, stop trying to stand in the middle. Choose a side and let other Linux distributions pick up the slack.

OpenSUSE should build it’s distribution around KDE. Stop spending so much time trying to sway Gnome users. Gnome is great and all, but dividing resources to build up two desktop environments seems a waste to me. Choose one as a default that defines the distribution (KDE), make the other(s) available as options. Don’t bother “branding” the others. Just provide them as is and focus on providing a premiere experience with KDE. Why KDE? Because OpenSUSE already does the best job at providing a KDE desktop. Stick with what you’re best at.

As for Office apps, make KOffice part of the default install. Sure OpenOffice is better, but KOffice integrates well with KDE. It makes the system look complete. It’s smaller and faster and a general good choice for most basic user needs. KOffice is small and fast enough. It should just be part of the default install.

Stick with Konqueror. Firefox is a great web browser. I use it exclusively when doing web development. But for general browsing, I use Konqueror. It’s faster, looks good, and like KOffice, it integrates well with the KDE environment.

So that’s it. I really like OpenSUSE 11.2. It’s a polished system. My only con is the feeling that OpenSUSE is divided on what it’s defaults are (ie: what defines an OpenSUSE system). I would rather see OpenSUSE put a stick in the ground. Choose one desktop to build it’s extreme user experience around. And make it extreme! Choices are nice, but they can also dilute the system. To me, choices are what you add to a default system, not what defines the default system.

Yes but for many KDE4 is a bad thing, a lot of KDE3 users/lovers (like me) still think KDE4 needs a lot more work.
Gnome I think is a great option for those who dislike KDE4

As for Office apps, make KOffice part of the default install. Sure OpenOffice is better, but KOffice integrates well with KDE. It makes the system look complete. It’s smaller and faster and a general good choice for most basic user needs. KOffice is small and fast enough. It should just be part of the default install.

But Koffice is still beta quality at best, plus open office still does things koffice cant do, like import .docx

Stick with Konqueror. Firefox is a great web browser. I use it exclusively when doing web development. But for general browsing, I use Konqueror. It’s faster, looks good, and like KOffice, it integrates well with the KDE environment.

But Konqueror is not a very widely used browser, nor does it have the features firefox does.
Also it does not have as many web pages that support it

Webpages/servers should not support browsers. They should conform to the standards. Web browsers must render, etc. conforming to the standards. And then the fit together.

As with any choice you give up some features, in exchange for others; Firefox doesn’t have all the features of Konqueror either.

I like both, but I am mostly using Chromium now, which, in my opinion, makes Firefox look very dated.

Regards,
Barry.

Let him decide if KDE4 is good or bad for him, will you?
I can say the same for GNOME. Many find it **** and there is no earlier GNOME to fall back on, unlike with KDE4 -> KDE3 which still can be used on 11.2 with a bit of work on adding repos and stuff

1. Firefox lets you view 99.5% of the pages perfectly where as Konqueror will have a hickup every now and then.
    Standards compliance aside, it’s the end result that matters for the end user and Firefox clearly renders more site as intended by its creator. (note I did not mention correctly - although I’m quite sure that’s the case as well)
  2. It isn’t faster for me at all, sure it might start up faster but Firefox renders the page itself faster and it’s javascript performance is on a completely different level.
    Chromium as mentioned before would make a better candidate, but that integrates worse than Firefox does (especially now).
  3. I don’t think changing what most likely is the most used application to something else will go without people raising hell…
    Not to mention I can’t even figure out trough which hoops to jump to have Konqueror use the mouse thumbbuttons for backwards/forwards, and it’s autoscroll capabilities awkward compared to that of Firefox.
  4. Hello Windows users, I’m quite the majority of people dual boots and if they’re using addons they’d like to use the same ones under Firefox… sure they can install it - but like I mentioned before, hell will be raised.
  5. I doubt it will ever be as good by just taking the number of developers on it into account - Firefox is one of the biggest opensource projects on its own.
  6. People aren’t expecting browsers to look like a regular application in the first place, they have deviated from normal standards for ages and so even more with each release. Take for example the addressbar, going by normal application logic it should be under the tab as it changes the url when you switch a tab. Also popular as of late is dumping the menus in favor of more screen estate for the pages themselves. (IE7/IE8/Chrome/Safari and there were plans for this for Firefox as well)

OpenSUSE should build it’s distribution around KDE. Stop spending so much time trying to sway Gnome users. Gnome is great and all, but dividing resources to build up two desktop environments seems a waste to me. Choose one as a default that defines the distribution (KDE), make the other(s) available as options. Don’t bother “branding” the others. Just provide them as is and focus on providing a premiere experience with KDE. Why KDE? Because OpenSUSE already does the best job at providing a KDE desktop. Stick with what you’re best at.
It’s not only a topnotch KDE distro, it’s also a topnotch Gnome distro and that’s one of the strong points of openSUSE, it offers users the choice between excellent desktops - a lot of other distros don’t do that.
Don’t think Novells SLED customers would appropriate it either, so I don’t see that happening.

As with Firefox - It’s compatible with things, sure you might like it - Hell I like it! But OpenOffice does a lot better with .doc’s… sure in the ideal world we’d all be using nice open formats en have all office suites rendering documents the same way. But in reality we need something that works with Microsofts formats and OpenOffice does a better job at it.
Also similar to Firefox is the number of developers behind it pretty much guarantees that will always have an advantage over kOffice. Unlike with Firefox however I can see how this could be an option in say 5 years. (in the hope that open document formats rapidly become more popular)

Feh on chomium, I dislike not having a integrated version of chrome for linux.

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 22:46:01 +0000, microchip8 wrote:

> Let him decide if KDE4 is good or bad for him, will you?

I saw nothing in Taralkeda’s post that suggested otherwise. There’s
nothing wrong with the opinion that was expressed.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

I’m going to install OpenSUSE tonight after using Ubuntu for the last two years. As a GNOME user (ex KDE user, switched after the 4.0 release) I’m glad to hear that this distribution supposedly supports KDE and GNOME equally well. I remember back when I used Kubuntu it kind of seemed like KDE was just tacked on so they could appeal to the people who didn’t like Gnome.

Not so much a peeve with 11.2 but with kde 4. I was very resistant to using it at first but am now using it exclusively. Just a couple of things that really annoy me though: networkmanager should not be the default connection app, because, basically it is broken, every which way. It has not worked for me on my box or laptop in any release of KDE4. It is an area which needs a complete rebuild.

The device manager is pretty rubbish as well, it doesn’t actually do anything, nothing useful any way. What happened to automount and icons just automagically appearing?

Much as I understand that kDE3 is yesterday, and K4 is the way forward, KDE4 just doesn’t have the same feeling of usability that KDE 3 had.

Woo, one hundredth post. I’ll be up with OldCPU before I know it.rotfl!

openSUSE 11.2 seems to run and do alright, except for some creeping issues that I can’t find a resolve to.

1. I noticed that when a window is over the desktop panel (top - left) of the screen, and I move the mouse over task bar, a small square of ttansparency appears through the window showing the desktop. It doesn’t go away until the window is moved or some change is done in the window. I’ll find it someday and fix it but it bugs me
  2. windows like to suddenly minimize or programs close when you go to minimize or close a different window. Also an annoyance

stable otherwise

Network World posted an article about a free monitoring tool