My system is ruined? :(

I’ve updated my 11.4 Tumbleweed desktop today.
Changed repos to “current”, disabled old 11.4 repos.

zypper ref
zypper dup

Two hours, almost 900MB and 1500 packages downloaded and installed, bo problem encountered.
Hooray! I’ve got 12.1!

Restart and … it won’t boot anymore, hangs soon after starting X.
no GDM, no XFCE, just suse background, mouse pointer and that’s all.
Network problems on runlevel 3, zypper can’t connect to repositories.
Reinstalled Catalyst 11.11 using the hard way - no effect.

It seems like I will have to reinstall whole system :frowning:
Soon before restart my desktop started to look like a Windows 95. Thank you gnome3 developers for this ****.
I know you probably cannot help me, every system is different.
And I cannot give you more information, as systemd didn’t give me anything interesting and I’m already back on 11.4.

Seems like my Tumbleweed is not rolling anymore :frowning:

Anyone succeded?

Hmm. Proprietary drivers are not recommended for use with Tumbleweed, but you probably knew that already. :slight_smile:

I’m running the opensource radeon driver right now and experienced no issues with the desktop after the upgrade (kdm/KDE in my case). Painful as it is, you may want to try switching over temporarily before you give up. Once you’ve got an upgraded system with a working desktop using the recommended drivers, you can veer from the safe path and give Catalyst a try again.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 20:26:03 +0000, sobrus wrote:

> I know you probably cannot help me, every system is different.
> And I cannot give you more information, as systemd didn’t give me
> anything interesting and I’m already back on 11.4.

That’s generally not a good assumption - while every system is different,
someone could probably have advised you on how to recover the system.

Having rebuilt the system, the only thing anyone could do is guess as to
what might have gone wrong since there’s no chance of getting diagnostic
information out of the system if you’ve reverted to 11.4.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I simply cannot have my computer down tomorrow.
I’m trying one more time with almost all repos disabled.

Only OSS, Non-OSS and Update (all 12.1 versions) repos are active at the moment and it’s updating. This should give me normal 12.1 in theory.

Tumbleweed is disabled too, will be back once I manage to boot to the 12.1 desktop.

I don’t think it’s a Catalyst issue. 11.11 should work with new suse, and new kernel was NOT installed, as I already have 3.1.1 (even if it was, ATI kernel module should be recompiled automatically).

Maybe it’s login manager fault, as GDM is not showing. It seems like my computer is trying to boot XBMC or something else (but not xfce) automatically. I’ve uninstalled XBMC - it didn’t help.

Twice pressed CTRL+BACKSPACE should give me GDM, but I only see suse background and “busy” mouse pointer.

Only 3 core repos and it didn’t work. Something is messed in my system :frowning:

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 21:56:03 +0000, sobrus wrote:

> I simply cannot have my computer down tomorrow.
> I’m trying one more time with almost all repos disabled.

In such a case, having a test system is almost certainly a very good
idea. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I tested fresh 11.4+Tumbleweed update a few times with 12.1 RC/RC2 version on Virtualbox.

And none of it worked, as far as I remember they didn’t boot just like my system now.
But since updating Tumbleweed with RC version isn’t probably good and supported idea, it didn’t report it.

All of these installations were xfce desktops - maybe this is the problem? Many underlying components were changed due to gnome3 inclusion.

This probably isn’t Tumbleweed fault - i just simply cannot upgrade to 12.1.

I think I will try one more last time today. I will revert my OS back to vanilla 11.4, and then update it to 12.1 using offline DVD upgrade.

It don’t think it will work, but I will try anyway.

I simply cannot have my computer down tomorrow… I think I will try one
more last time today. I will revert my OS back
to vanilla 11.4, and then update it to 12.1 using offline DVD upgrade
…It don’t think it will work, but I will try anyway.

so, looking at your “I simply cannot have my computer down tomorrow” i
have to ask:

When you have installed 11.4, why not just use it…it works perfect
here and it is supported another 304 days!

and, 11.4 continues to be light years ahead of the operating system in
use by about 95% of the earth’s desktops!!

so, what is the rush to undependable?

DD Google Plus has shutdown and here is why | Gplus.to
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a government server :wink:
But sometimes other family members use it - and today it was needed.

I could use 11.4 but I have Tumbleweed - and I cannot update system any longer now. So support is gone.
Of course I installed Tumbleweed intentionally, because I don’t like to reinstall my OS every few months. Rolling release is best suited for me.
I hope this is the first and last time it failed (again, it’s not Tumbleweed fault, something probably went wrong with 11.4->12.1 update).

I agree that 11.4 is excellent. Unfortunately, it is probably much better than 12.1, unless you use KDE (which I really don’t like).
Both gnome and xfce suffer from gnome3 inclusion. But this is the future, you can’t stay on gnome 2.32 for years.

On 11/17/2011 01:36 PM, sobrus wrote:
> for example new notifications are UGLY.

to me, it sounds like you are giving looks and stability the wrong
relative priority…

that is, an ugly notification you can depend on coming and being correct
is far better than a beautiful, blinking, see-though, 3D magic
notification which may or may not come, or when it does may be wrong, or
freeze the display…

of course, ymmv.

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

No, there is no real advantage in having ugly notifications in xfce now (xfce4-notifyd), instead of nice “slider” themed gnome notifications used in 11.4 (notification-daemon).
Did you encounter any problems with them?
The only reason is that probably gnome3 notification system isn’t compatible with xfce anymore.
The same goes for gnome volume control applet (removed from gnome3), maybe even for gnome bluetooth applet.

I will install 12.1 anyway and check.
I’m not telling new system is worse overally. It’s great to see for example systemd in suse. Should boot much faster now.
I just don’t like some of the changes. Some things can be fixed for sure.
And I know it’s not suse fault at all, that gnome developers did something strange with this DE. Every distro has problem with it.

Hi, i’ve had a very similar problem, updating from 11.4+Tumbleweed.

It resulted in zypper and yast being unable to connect to any online-repositories which gave me a completely unusable package system.

/var/log/zypper.log showed that aria2c (using curl didnt work either) got an “–http-proxy=<my last proxy setting>” argument, although the PROXY_ENABLED option in /etc/sysconfig/proxy was set to “no”.
Setting HTTP_PROXY="" at least made the zypper/yast part working again (in my case lots of updates were still missing, i’ll see if i get an usable system after completing the updates)

Just wanted to let you know, as that’s probably the solution to the “zypper can’t connect” part of sobrus’ first post.

Lirrec

Thank You for this information.
I’m downgrading to 11.4 at the moment, I will make sure that proxies are disabled (my server is a squid proxy).
I’m also burning 12.1 DVD to make offline upgrade :slight_smile:
I guess this is my last chance before “format c:” … or rather I should say “mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb2” :smiley:

I had to do clean 12.1 install. Now it works.

It is nice, but it’s nowhere as good as 11.4.

Compiz is unusable (crashes on both open source and catalyst drivers). Expo crashes. Animation crashes. Workspaces not working. I wonder if anyone tested it before releasing.

And notifications… they are simply beatiful :wink: You can always render them correctly in your imagination using XML tags :wink: Still I must admit they look much better than in RC stage.

http://i43.tinypic.com/15pjvpw.png
#767675 its ermmm … almost gray!

I know I cannot complain, since suse is free. But 12.1 is regression… big one…and I’m only using it for one hour.
You can also see one workspace visible instead of four available.

I had an identical situation with my upgrade…no gui…no ethernet…but found the system WOULD boot in “safe mode”…finally found by installing sysvinit-init and letting it remove the systemd-init then rebooting everything began working as it was supposed to. I have not found so far a way to get systemd working as it should be.

I had similar problems (known bugs) after updating/upgrading which I solved by simply using System Shut_down which should turn the computer off. Then I start it up again, and all was working fine. In my experiences with all software updates & system upgrades it’s best to Shut-Down the computer/system and start it up, before trying to run or fix anything. With Kernel updates, after the system restarts, I preform a shutdown / Start-up one more time.