my plastic lenses are corrupt

Gee, i had a second pair of glasses which i stored in my car in the
eyeglass compartment. They lay there for a couple of month.
Today i wanted to use them and now the lenses are crystalist or so it
seems. Anyway, they are not useable anymore.
I am getting pretty fed up with plastic lenses. My new ones already
have scratches, even though they are only light scratches.

My question to my fellow eyeglass user is this. Are you using still
glass for your lens or do you use the more expensive version of plastic
for the lens.

I wouldn’t be so upset if they were really old, but there were a mere
of 2 years old.
Anyway, i think i may buy glass lenses next time.

But i like to hear from my fellows and get some insight. Oh, not sure
if you can get rimless lenses with glas (the ones that have only a
nylon wrapped around).


Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using KDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)

Are these lenses a 64 bit install, or a 32 bit install. And is this from 11.4 or 12.1?

I’m using plastic lenses from around 5 years ago, and they are still doing fine. I’m guessing that there was too much heat in the car, and somehow that caused problems.

I stuck with glass for a long time. But I do have to admit that plastic is a lot lighter. If you switch to glass, they will feel heavy, particularly if you are seriously myopic (thick lenses).

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:06:03 GMT
nrickert <nrickert@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Are these lenses a 64 bit install, or a 32 bit install. And is this
>from 11.4 or 12.1?
>
>I’m using plastic lenses from around 5 years ago, and they are still
>doing fine. I’m guessing that there was too much heat in the car, and
>somehow that caused problems.
>
>I stuck with glass for a long time. But I do have to admit that
>plastic is a lot lighter. If you switch to glass, they will feel
>heavy, particularly if you are seriously myopic (thick lenses).
>
>

Haha, i did had to laugh. I really did… :slight_smile:
I think they are 64bit.

Anyway, my vision is not that bad, meaning i don’t have very thick
glasses. I used to have glass lenses before (which was in germany and
is about 12 years ago).
Here everwhere i go, its only plastic.
I do grant the benefit of being lighter, but it made me really angry
since these supposed to be my backup glasses. Now they are gone.

btw. how do you clean your glasses. I usually have them under water and
use then soap.


Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using KDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)

I sometimes use soap and water. But most of the time, I breath on them to coat with a mist of condensate, then I wipe that off with a clean handkerchief. The trouble with soap and water, is that there is a lot of water to try to dry off.

My glasses are pretty thick.

I sometimes use soap and water. But most of the time, I breath on them to coat with a mist of condensate, then I wipe that off with a clean handkerchief. The trouble with soap and water, is that there is a lot of water to try to dry off.

My glasses are pretty thick.

On 2011-10-31 22:35, JoergJaeger wrote:
> I am getting pretty fed up with plastic lenses. My new ones already
> have scratches, even though they are only light scratches.

True, they get scratches very easily. I clean them with special wet tissue
that comes in plasticized envelops in boxes of 30.

Mine area about two years old, and filled with scratches, although I’ve
been very careful.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I am not really sure whether I have glass or plastic lenses. I would say they are glass. They are rimless around the lower part, so seems like that it is possible to have rimless glass lenses (given that they are actually glass lenses).

:slight_smile: Yes, and also did you use a good quality plastic for the lenses, and did you burn at the lowest possible speed? >:)

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 01:46:02 GMT
steffen13 <steffen13@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>I am not really sure whether I have glass or plastic lenses. I would
>say they are glass. They are rimless around the lower part, so seems
>like that it is possible to have rimless glass lenses (given that they
>are actually glass lenses).
>
>

You did not happen to remember that you ask to get glass? Because
everytime i get glasses they tell me, ah only plastic, is better,
safer. Well…

but if you knock them gently you can hear if its plastic or glass.
Glass sounds different.


Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using KDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)

On 10/31/2011 11:06 PM, JoergJaeger wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 01:46:02 GMT
> steffen13<steffen13@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
>>
>> I am not really sure whether I have glass or plastic lenses. I would
>> say they are glass. They are rimless around the lower part, so seems
>> like that it is possible to have rimless glass lenses (given that they
>> are actually glass lenses).
>>
>>
>
> You did not happen to remember that you ask to get glass? Because
> everytime i get glasses they tell me, ah only plastic, is better,
> safer. Well…
>
> but if you knock them gently you can hear if its plastic or glass.
> Glass sounds different.
>
> —
> Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
> using KDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
> Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)
JoergJaeger;

The choice between plastic and glass depends at least in part on how
hard you are on your glasses. For me plastic lenses do not hold up and
I always use glass. Although you can scratch glass it is a lot harder
to do than with plastic.

I suspect the heat build up on the inside of your car partially melted
the lenses. If you are in the habit of leaving your glasses in a hot
car, glass is most likely a better choice for you. A slow burn may be
good for a DVD but not so good for your glasses.

It seems to me that at onetime I was told you could not have a “sun
sensor” lens in plastic. That may have changed, but is an important
consideration for me.


P.V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you” Red Green

On 10/31/2011 5:06 PM, nrickert wrote:
>
> Are these lenses a 64 bit install, or a 32 bit install. And is this
> from 11.4 or 12.1?
>
<snip>
>
>
A plastic lens is almost always 1 bit. Glass lenses can become 64 bits
or even 128 bits, it just depends on the distance they fall.


P.V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you” Red Green

On 2011-11-01 05:35, PV wrote:

> A plastic lens is almost always 1 bit. Glass lenses can become 64 bits or
> even 128 bits, it just depends on the distance they fall.

ROTFL!


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Must be the WEP version, easily cracked…


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop
up 23:52, 4 users, load average: 0.23, 0.18, 0.15
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 285.05.09

I’ve been wearing Plastic lenses for as long as they’ve been readily available and have never had scratching problems ex. once when a piece of hot molten steel shot at me from a nearby welding operation and imbedded itself in the lens, secured in place by a little crater of rapidly molted and recooled plastic. When I showed the lens to the eye doctor he told me that, had it been glass. it would likely have shattered and pieces of glass and/or hot steel imbedded in my eye.

I think the reason I have so little scratching problem, despite living a very active like in a very “eyewear unfriendly” environment is that I never clean them in a single operation. The vigorous wiping required to clean sweat, skin oil, etc. off the surface is enough to cause any little particle of abrasive material… dust, dirt, sand, etc. to act like a piece of grind itself into the lens forming a scratch.

Before wiping the lenses with anything I rinse them in a stream of clean water to flush the surface, or, if that’s not possible, I wipe very lightly with a very clean clean, soft cloth. The tail of an all cotton tee shirt is my personal favorite (NOT a cotton polyester blend). Then, and only then do I vigorously wipe the surface with a different part of the cloth.

I have had pretty good luck with plastic and a coating that drastically
reduces the fine scratches. The coating is a thin film similar to the
polarization coatings for glare reduction and costs a small amount when you
purchase the lense.

On cheaper lenses, I find that common toothpaste (not the fancy gel variety)
and a small amount of water with a soft cloth will polish out most of the
fine scratches.

Some one in another reply mentioned using his under shirt to clean with
and I second that suggestion. Anything with polyester will eventually
scratch your lense - even a glass lense.

JoergJaeger wrote:

> Gee, i had a second pair of glasses which i stored in my car in the
> eyeglass compartment. They lay there for a couple of month.
> Today i wanted to use them and now the lenses are crystalist or so it
> seems. Anyway, they are not useable anymore.
> I am getting pretty fed up with plastic lenses. My new ones already
> have scratches, even though they are only light scratches.
>
> My question to my fellow eyeglass user is this. Are you using still
> glass for your lens or do you use the more expensive version of plastic
> for the lens.
>
> I wouldn’t be so upset if they were really old, but there were a mere
> of 2 years old.
> Anyway, i think i may buy glass lenses next time.
>
> But i like to hear from my fellows and get some insight. Oh, not sure
> if you can get rimless lenses with glas (the ones that have only a
> nylon wrapped around).


Will Honea

The new pair I’m wearing is the first one I’ve had with the coating, and I agree it’s very good. I think it’s anti-static too, because a lot of the dust and grime that used to be hard to remove now rinses off without effort, so there’s much less likelihood of a scratch.

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:46:03 GMT
caprus <caprus@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Will Honea;2399536 Wrote:
>> I have had pretty good luck with plastic and a coating that
>> drastically reduces the fine scratches. The coating is a thin film
>> similar to the polarization coatings for glare reduction and costs a
>> small amount when you
>> purchase the lense.–
>> Will Honea
>
>The new pair I’m wearing is the first one I’ve had with the coating,
>and I agree it’s very good. I think it’s anti-static too, because a
>lot of the dust and grime that used to be hard to remove now rinses off
>without effort, so there’s much less likelihood of a scratch.
>
>

Someone like to share what type of plastic you guys are using? There
are different types. I was reading that there is a better material that
lets more light true the lens, ergo a much better vision.

I will end up again with plastic, i am sure, since my lenses are for a
rimless frame.


Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using KDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 12:49:05 GMT
malcolmlewis <malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>

>Must be the WEP version, easily cracked…
>

Mm… i think it was kernel panic.


Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using KDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)

I think mine are a polycarbonate, used because that has a higher refractive index. And it is coated, as others have mentioned.

I had a pair of those and they lasted well without getting to scratched up. My last pair was scratch resistant plastic and after about a year they are so bad things look blurry even when clean. So I wore them another year and a half of course, cause why would being able to see be a top priority? Especially when you drive for a living? Finally got a new pair and went with plastic again. I just use spray glasses cleaner and a cloth, mostly cause I end up using the cleaner on everything else I have including this computer. Eventually they all get scratched up and usually by that time you need a new script anyway.
That’s my reasoning, anyway, which rarely makes sense to anyone but me.