My little message to the Apple Community!!

I don’t think the open source community is nothing but sick of these stupid lame a## excuses of patent charges. If Apple and your so called enemy/best friend Microsoft didn’t have the patent trolls and the patent wars( Steve Jobs, Steve Ballmar sitting in a tree patent trolling because they are loosing!!!) Shouldn’t have messed with HTC, my AT&T contract is up and guess what I’m droid all of the way. I can’t believe people follow a company that makes so stupid and impracticable decision to release an iPad for $400 starting out… no thank you i’ll stick with my Linux powered notebook. Wow how brain washed does a community have to be, to see that Apple is no different than Microsoft I’f nothing else you are worst, at least you can buy a windows PC for $3,000 cheaper!!! Oh yeah security don’t give me that if you want security and stability like so many ex Apple usr’s I see in the Linux forums are doing!! Steve Jobs I challenge you… you little patent troll I’ll buy a ipad and install Linux on and tell you which OS runs best!!! Drop the stupid patents and fight fair or wait are you scared that you will loose!!! you will!!

I posted this in apples little forum after I seen the topic from Google searching HTC!!

Congratulations on making Linux users look like trolls again.

My main complaint about Apple is the price for a laptop is much more than I want to pay, but their quality is excellent and I know from personal experience having owned a 1st generation G4 in 2000 - 2003.

Couldn’t agree more.

@TuxAttack: picture yourself being a satisfied, paying, happy Apple user, that’s confronted with your own writings.
Open source is a choice, not a matter of right or wrong, atmost a belief. All personal. Leave people that make other choices with your full respect and they will respect your choice, might even become interested in what that choice is. Words like ‘stupid’ simply do not fit in. All this IMHO.

Indeed - I use open source where I see it gives benefits, for example all my servers (apart from Exchange) run Linux. My desktops run mixed OSX/Linux/Windows and many of the daily applications in my use (like the Chromium I’m writing this message on) are Open Source.

That doesn’t mean Apple is **** or Windows is total fail - they both work in their respective things well as does Linux and Open Source.

Knurpht,
You have hit the nail on the head.
The trancendence gifted to us by linus and the thousands of others here will dissapate our frustration with our computational shortcomings.
The others will notice our utopian manner and wonder and ask.
Can I do that too?

> My main complaint about Apple is the price for a laptop is much more
> than I want to pay, but their quality is excellent and I know from
> personal experience having owned a 1st generation G4 in 2000 - 2003.

I’ll say this, my wife replaced her Windows PC that sounded like a leaf
blower and still overheated requiring a ‘cool pad’ to keep the screen
from ‘going plaid’. Her new MacBook is dead silent 90% of the time and
when the fan does engage it is whisper quiet…Jobs does know a thing
or two about end user experience which is sorely lacking in the PC
community. IMHO, it is why Apple succeeds and manages to go beyond
PC geek acceptance.

ZDnet’s Linux and Open Source Blog points out various other people having a go at Apple today, Including the EFF who got holder of Apple’s iPhone developers License. The best quotes are from Tim Bray–who says he “will probably go on using” Apple products despite his irritation:

The iPhone vision of the mobile Internet’s future omits controversy, sex, and freedom, but includes strict limits on who can know what and who can say what. It’s a sterile Disney-fied walled garden surrounded by sharp-toothed lawyers. The people who create the apps serve at the landlord’s pleasure and fear his anger…Apple apparently thinks you can have the benefits of the Internet while at the same time controlling what programs can be run and what parts of the stack can be accessed and what developers can say to each other.

See Tim Bray Joining Google

You’re more or less forced to defend your patents actively if you want them to have any value in court.

And software patents are some silly idea from the US… and they approve the most idiotic things like ‘bounce scrolling’.

Even though I don’t plan on purchasing a single apple product (don’t like their if you want our software pay for our hardware approach - and I don’t want to support a company that’s locking down something like the AppStore) I still wont blame apple for defending their patents.

I just hope the US realises sometime soon that they should
a) Get rid of software patents
or
b) Get rid of trivial patents

Sadly it’s more likely that other places (the EU) copy this obviously flawed system. The only ones gaining anything from it are those that grant the patents and the lawyers that get paid once **** hits the fan.

http://www.dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/60000/7000/200/67292/67292.strip.gif

for almost the same price

Thinkpad > MacBook :wink:

Hmmm… Micro$oft wants money from you, Apple is ok company but I want to have free software than paying $500 for software.

I do like Apple’s Mac OS X, it is simple, user-friendly OS, but I choose Linux.
Linux is very customable OS, you can change themes look and feel.

As is true with all products, your mileage may vary. I have a 2008 macbook 4.1. I don’t travel with my macbook and it rarely leaves the house, yet I’ve had the the plastic in the bezel and palmrests break and pieces fall off, the lid has a spiderweb of cracks around the apple logo, the inverter board burned out, and the LCD has become blurry with random dark splotches. I never had any of these problems with any other laptop I owned. Perhaps my macbook was really an apple/lemon hybrid, but I doubt I will buy another macbook. For some reason those thinkpads look really good to me (they are solidly-built and look nice in their own way).

That being said, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with how much apple charges for their products. As consumers we don’t have to buy them. There are plenty of alternatives. Despit this, many consumers still purchase the apple products, which is a tacit acknowledgment that the price is right.

As for software patents, I think what probably needs to happen is for some good clearcut cases to make it to a higher court and for the judges to make good clear decisions that limit the sorts of things that are patentable. I don’t think linux will become mainstream in the US until the corporate patent/extortion racket gets sorted out.

If you think about it, fears concerning patents and intellectual property are probably the best weapons that Apple and Microsoft have against free software. If you can’t beat them, sue them. If you can’t sue them, buy more patents. It’s the new american way. :slight_smile:

Here in Alberta Canada, there was a news story today about those apple istore cards. A Lady got one as a gift, and when she went to use it to buy an ipad app, instead of the purchase coming off the card her credit card was charged. When the card is bought there is a little fine print saying login to apple istore for terms of use. Apparently, in Alberta, these types of card must clearly state their limitations if any or it’s not legal to sell them. Saying to go to a website for rules is unfair business practice as not everybody buying from a store has full Internet access. Apple has been given 30 days to refund all purchases to Albertans, or remove the restrictions, and all future card sales must clearly state their restrictions which apparently is 14 type written pages long according to the news. The ipads are now under examination as to whether they can be sold he now.

I don’t have one, never will, a laptop is all the portability I need.

In a related story, China announced they have almost the same thing as the Apple ipad available. The name of their product escapes me right now but the story is that it will run only Linux any flavor, and will be priced at about 1/3rd the cost of an ipad. Release date in China is beginning June 2010 but will not ship outside of China right away.