My freedom is really taking a hit this year.

This is my last year at college. I’m studying Electrical Engineering. In all of my courses this semester, we have to use proprietary programs that only run on windoze. It’s the same way for all of the classes I have to take this final year. Because of all the windoze-only programs I have to use (PowerWorld, “Power Systems 1”, Excel, MS Project 2007, and more), I didn’t have enough hard drive space to install all of them on my laptop and keep my Suse installation. So I had to wipe out Suse and just keep Windoze. So I’m chained to windoze this last year. I have to use it at home and at school, and the worst insult of all was when I had to install windoze on my own laptop, which I had planned on installing Suse on. I swear, as soon as this school year is over, I’m going to wipe Windows off first thing right after they hand me my diploma.

I feel for ya. I’m studying Computer Science, and so far the only proprietary program I had to use was Visual Studio for my Data Structures class.

It really was a nice IDE, but I had it installed in a VMWare virtual machine, and the performance hit on my 3.5 year old laptop was sometimes very aggravating.

Now I am doing my C/C++ on Code::Blocks, and Java on Eclipse (as always).

The sad reality is that sometimes we can’t do without Wincrap.
I am doing a lot of much needed DVD backing up and encoding, and I need apps like CDRoller and DVD Flick. I can’t find anything even remotely resembling them in Linux (even if DVD Flick is made out of open source components).

Once you get out of the Windows gaol, you’ll really appreciate the freedom.

What freedom?

You mean like in Freedom Fries? Because all the wincrap-winbl0wz-zomg-l0lz sounds pretty childish to me - much like those fries.

It’s just an OS - get over it.

In general, I agree that Windows (and also Mac, even though you don’t mention it) have an edge over Linux for DVD creation.

Those are nice apps that you mention, but after my doing a quick cursory look at their features, i believe I can do everything they provide, but I can do it in Linux. I may not have one all encompassing gui based program that does it all, but I think it can be done. Are there specific features that they provide, that you must have, and that you have not found a Linux program that can do? … or is it a more “user simplicity/friendliness” observation?

I decided to use the word “Wincrap” this time (after some doubts) because I am particularly annoyed how many hard freezes I am getting (and Windows has nothing like Alt+PrtScn+REISUB).
But you should look at the actual message: I have work to do and I am forced to use an OS I don’t like. And not just because it is proprietary, I am not much of an open source purist. More because it is an ugly OS.
OS X is proprietary (at least partially) but it is not ugly.

Ahhh … I feel for you there. Every day at work I am forced to use WinXP, … and if there ever was a " klutz club " for users with pathetic WinXP user level knowledge, I would most definitely qualify for membership. lol!

Well, I am not aware of a Linux app which does the same work as CDRoller (recovering badly damaged CDs and DVDs).
As to DVD Flick I suppose you could do what it does (converting all sort of files to DVD) in Linux, but I suppose it wouldn’t be really difficult, while DVD Flick makes it so nice and easy for you.

My Win XP knowledge ain’t supreme either :slight_smile:
But they don’t encourage you to learn, everything is “hidden”.

Edit to post #9: “it wouldn’t be really difficult” should be: “it would be really difficult”

I’ve never tried to recover data off of a damaged CD/DVD before. I suppose if I had to, I would look at “dd” or “ddrescue”. For example this blog:
decio: il blog: How to recover files from a damaged CD/DVD

However having typed that, my speculation is the MS-Windows program you mention is likely much more user friendly than trying to crawl one’s way thru dd or ddrescue.

Again, and as you note, I suspect DVD Flick puts all the conversions in one easy package. In Linux one might have to use various packages. Avidemux is pretty darn good at conversions to different formats. It is often compared to MS-Windows virtual dub, but avidemux has long since gone in its own direction, and IMHO it is now a much different (and more useful) program (and no longer comparable to virtual dub). There are also many other linux conversion programs, from the command line mencoder, transcode, and ffmpeg, to more user friendly programs such as tovid.

I often wish we would have more forum discussion on this multimedia conversion subject.

I forgot to include a ddrescue link:
dd_rescue

Thanks for your links and suggestions, oldcpu, I’ll have a closer look later (after a good rest :))

I’m currently forced to use MS Outlook 2007. I hate it. It’s slow, the GUI is overloaded and the spam filter doesn’t work. I can’t use the web interface, because I have to react quickly to every incoming mail.
Whoever put this thing called a network up (only 100 MBit/s, broken DHCP, useless insecure firewall and the main server with Windows Server 2008 installed takes ages to boot up, over 15 minutes!) deserves an eternity of pain in the deepest pits of hell >:(

Good thing I have VirtualBox.

BTW, have you tried ManDVD?

Its a sad fact that there is a lot of software that is not available for linux.

> Its a sad fact that there is a lot of software that is not available for
> linux.

its a happy fact that Linux CAN do millions of things well…very
well…with stability, reliability and security…

just one example: at least 426 of the worlds 500 top fastest
supercomputers on the June 2008 list use Linux…check it out:
http://www.top500.org/

Operating System Count
Linux 378
MacOS X 2
UNICOS 2
Super-UX 1
AIX 23
SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 7
UNICOS/Linux 4
CNK/SLES 9
SUSE Linux 2
Redhat Linux 5
RedHat Enterprise 4
Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 2
UNICOS/SUSE Linux 3
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 7
SLES10 + SGI ProPack 5
UNICOS/lc 1
CNL 6
Windows HPC 2008 3
CentOS 2

Totals 500

source: http://www.top500.org/stats/list/31/os

and, as far as i know ALL the OSes listed are some Unix/Linux
variant–except for the FIVE running windows–don’t get me laughing

i can’t get too excited about not being able to run M$-Something
natively!!

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

I don’t think your freedom is being at all abridged. No one is telling you that you have to use Windows or face legal or life and death consequences. You’re confusing your unwillingness to accept the consequences of your free choice to not use Windows (failing your classes and not finishing your degree) with loss of freedom.

You are choosing to give up your perceived freedom by enrolling in these classes. In fact, the real die-hard free (as in freedom) software folks might be expected to ask why you don’t change majors or transfer to a different schools in order to not abrogate your responsibility to promote software freedom. To some (not I, you need to do what you need to do - there are more effective ways to make a stand - perhaps taking it upon yourself to port the functionalities of one of these software packages to Linux) you’d be “selling out”.