my first production server using Tumbleweed

last weekend, i install Tumbleweed on my customer new server . before that i have did test install on vbox , i have expect some problem but surprising everything ok.

the server provide

1. database (maria db + automysqlbackup)
  2. web server ( apache + laravel)
  3. vpn (openvpn + generate 30 client)
  4. file server (samba4)
  5. ftp server (vsftpd + ssl)

using Tumbleweed installation dvd , I choose minimal installation (text mode) . enable ssh and disable firewall (only enable firewall after all done) .
installation process went very fast . the rest of the installation i done using zypper via ssh (with MobaXterm from my notebook).

it took hours to install and setup for the rest of the services .

to my surprise , I didn’t encounter any strange problem. everything is working and i roll out for my customer to use . it been 3 days and nothing go wrong . should I be worry ?

I am realy amazed that you use Tumbleweed for such a thing as a “production server”.

Why not a stable supported version like 13.2?

Probably not, if you are being paid to maintain it. If so, your customer should be worried!

Bear in mind this is an unusually quiet period for Tumbleweed as it waits for the GCC 5 upgrade to build for all Tumbleweed’s many packages. :wink:

On 2015-07-01 12:56, kobolds1 wrote:

> to my surprise , I didn’t encounter any strange problem. everything is
> working and i roll out for my customer to use . it been 3 days and
> nothing go wrong . should I be worry ?

Well… if you were working for me, on my expense, you’d probably be fired.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

On 2015-07-01 16:18, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2015-07-01 12:56, kobolds1 wrote:
>
>> to my surprise , I didn’t encounter any strange problem. everything is
>> working and i roll out for my customer to use . it been 3 days and
>> nothing go wrong . should I be worry ?
>
> Well… if you were working for me, on my expense, you’d probably be fired.

And if you asked why, you’d be fired again — ROTFL! ;-p

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Please tone down. You made your point already (after it was made by others).

On 2015-07-01 16:46, hcvv wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2717616 Wrote:
>> On 2015-07-01 16:18, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Please tone down. You made your point is already (after it was made by
> others).

Sorry, it was intended as humour.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

and I thought OpenBSD experts could be caustic - jesus!

On 2015-07-03 03:56, BSDuser wrote:

> and I thought OpenBSD experts could be caustic - jesus!

I’m sorry, I was excessively caustic.

It doesn’t matter what one does as experiments, even if risky, even if
on work time and on somebody else’s money (if they know). After all,
many Linux developers and contributors are working for somebody else and
doing things for the community, that doesn’t pay them.

But if a client is affected, he must be aware of the risks. It is a
serious issue. The bread of families is at risk.

I should have been able to say this in a milder tone, though.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

kobolds1
From the Tumbleweed page:

Due to the Linux kernel being updated very frequently, users who rely on proprietary graphic drivers should not use the Tumbleweed distribution unless they are familiar with updating these drivers from source on their own.

Does this apply to your customer? are they aware of this?
If this was your home PC at your house I’d say nothing here, because that’s what I’m doing. However it’s just me here so if something does go wrong & it has at least twice for me, no one loses but me.
You OTOH my friend have placed IIRC a business on this? If that should happen to a business it’ll suffer you’ll suffer and Opensuse and perhaps even SUSE will look REAL BAD EVEN LINUX!! If this is the case I think your client would be better served using SLES here’s the prices plus you get a 60 day free trial check here:

Please tell us you meant a home server in your House right?!

Lastly if it is really a business & free is all your client can afford Please in the name of all the money your client hopes to make!!!
PLEASE! Take Tumbleweed off of there and INSTALL Opensuse 13.2 use the KDE Desktop and get kmymoney!! OK!?!

On 2015-07-03 06:26, Sagemta wrote:
> Lastly if it is really a business & free is all your client can afford
> Please in the name of all the money your client hopes to make!!!
> PLEASE! Take Tumbleweed off of there and INSTALL Opensuse 13.2 use the
> KDE Desktop and get kmymoney!! OK!?!

Or 13.1. It is a Long Term Support version (aka Evergreen), it probably
will last longer than 13.2.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2015-07-01, kobolds1 <kobolds1@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> the server provide
> 1. database (maria db + automysqlbackup)
> 2. web server ( apache + laravel)
> 3. vpn (openvpn + generate 30 client)
> 4. file server (samba4)
> 5. ftp server (vsftpd + ssl)
<SNIP>
> to my surprise , I didn’t encounter any strange problem. everything is
> working and i roll out for my customer to use . it been 3 days and
> nothing go wrong . should I be worry ?

No. The unnecessarily scathing remarks in the responses to your perfectly legitimate question suggest that the unstable
nature of rolling releases inheritantly precludes their use as a server for the rather straightforward services you list
above. This is nonsense. Ask any proficient Arch/Gentoo server administrator.

On the other hand, it’s worth asking yourself if there’s anything to be gained by using Tumbleweed rather than
Evergreen? If not, then you may be subjecting yourself to unnecessary headaches. The trouble with rolling releases is
that can be tricky to maintain and when things break, as they sometimes do, you need to have a backup (stable) option
immediately available. If it turns out that the unstable platform confers no additional benefit, then the maintenance of
a rolling release is unlikely to be a good investment of your time. For this reason, it may be better for you to adopt
Evergreen rather than Tumbleweed.

Oh, after that pontification comes the disclaimer:

On the other hand, it’s worth asking yourself if there’s anything to be gained by using Tumbleweed rather than
Evergreen? If not, then you may be subjecting yourself to unnecessary headaches.

Then the cracks appear:

The trouble with rolling releases is
that can be tricky to maintain and when things break, as they sometimes do, you need to have a backup (stable) option
immediately available.

Mmm, backups, maybe snapshots and Btrfs - sounds good for rolling releases. I can hear the income increasing already. :wink:

If it turns out that the unstable platform confers no additional benefit, then the maintenance of
a rolling release is unlikely to be a good investment of your time.

You could be having that discussion with your customer on a regular basis, unfortunately with or without additional benefit.

I doubt whether you would install Evergreen as it’s close to end of life. 13.1 is a candidate right now, though it could be out of support around year end or a bit later. 13.2 is a possibility or wait for openSUSE 42 which will be based on SLE 12’s source code and yearly service packs.

On 2015-07-03, consused <consused@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
> Oh, after that pontification comes the disclaimer:

This statement is pejorative and does you little credit.

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 17:09:14 +0000, flymail wrote:

> On 2015-07-03, consused <consused@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
>> Oh, after that pontification comes the disclaimer:
>
> This statement is pejorative and does you little credit.

Everyone, CALM DOWN.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I recall that I selected openSUSE as my primary OS in large measure because of the absence of harsh tone in this forum, so, in light of this thread and a very few other recent ones, I encourage my fellow members to please heed the advice of the ALANON program which suggests that it’s members “Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don’t say it mean.”

Carlos,
I forgot that 13.1 was the LT Yhanks for the reminder.

Unfortunately sometimes one needs to be… rather straightforward if the message doesn’t seem to be getting through.

As for the actual thread, whilst it may seem tempting to use bleeding edge software to gain the ‘latest and greatest’ performance enhancements, you’ll notice that when you get into “big business”, you don’t have the latest and greatest because stability > performance, always. I would not use Tumbleweed on a production server, even using 13.x sometimes makes me shiver because I know I need to upgrade it every few years and the number of things that can (and will) go wrong are intimidating even for a vet at this job.