My config/tweak notes for openSUSE Tumbleweed (and other Linux stuff)

I like being able to reproduce my set-up from scratch, and I keep notes that let me copy and paste things into Terminal to do it. High-quality mpv, various gsettings, kernel options, Firefox stuff, tweaks, etc; if it sounds interesting and proves useful, I note it to repeat later :stuck_out_tongue:

I have over 200 pages of mostly Linux-specific notes (sitemap), but here’s a few I’d like to feature:

My notes are self-hosted with full details on everything.

1 Like

@Espionage724 Nice set of info, for your change of the cpu governor all that is needed is cpupower frequency-set -g performance :wink: Perhaps you can add some notes about the Nvidia tweaks, how you find the info on if it’s available for the card in use etc?

I think on Fedora cpupower required a kernel-tools package, and I didn’t want to install it if I didn’t need it :stuck_out_tongue:

The NVIDIA tweaks don’t look generic and I got those with overclock testing on Windows. I think GPUPowerMizerMode=1 might force the highest clocks without power-saving, and power-limit could likely be maxed safely if a higher limit is reported through nvidia-smi. I like the way I do it for AMD to just grab the max for that card and set it vs hard-coding.

I updated various notes over the last few days and I’m currently using Xfce (couldn’t get used to Plasma 6, and GNOME was still unstable last night).

Here’s how I handle CPU power modes and laptop brightness with udev rules. I find this more reliable than the power profile thing in Plasma 6 settings (it never auto-switched the performance profile between AC/BAT).