My Clock is 1 hour behind

Hello All,
My system clock is hour our slow.
When I go into the “Adjust Date/Time” dialog, the values set are:
TimeServer: “Public Time Server (pool.ntp.org)”
“Set date and time automatically” is CHECKED
Time Zone is set to “America/Los Angeles (PDT)”

I tried changing the time server to “time.nist.gov” and I am asked for the root password (which I provide). But when I do I get an error stating: “Unable to Authenticate/execute the action: 6,”

If I simply adjust the time, everything is OK until I log out or shut down. Then the clock goes back to being one hour slow.

Any ideas on why I am unable to set the time properly? The hardware clock is set correctly. But I’d like to use the NIST time servers since some software I run uses that server internally and I’d like for my system time to match as well.

Thanks,
-tomas

Start Yast - System - Date and Time. That will allow you to configure NTP as per your needs.

On 2012-05-17 16:26, dadkind wrote:
>
> Hello All,
> My system clock is hour our slow.
> When I go into the “Adjust Date/Time” dialog,

Where is that dialog? Are you using YaST? If not, use it.

> Any ideas on why I am unable to set the time properly? The hardware
> clock is set correctly.

Do “hwclock --debug” and copy it here - inside code tags (advanced editor,

button).

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Elsewhere in the archives of this forum I initiated a thread that evolved into describing all the different ways that time is configured when a Desktop is installed on Linux (the issues aren’t specific to any specific Desktop or openSUSE).

In a nutshell, IIRC

• Time must be set properly on your hardware (usually sync-d with the OS but might not be)
  • Especially if not sync-d with hardware (normally recommend sync), OS time must be set properly
  • Time must be set properly in the Desktop (eg KDE or Gnome)
  • Time Zone must be set properly
  • Be certain that the Desktop isn’t set to a non-default profile

I might also add…
Be aware if you multi-boot, each OS might modify your system clock when you change OS.
You can try to avoid this problem (but YMMV) by forcing a time clock update with each boot.

HTH,
TS