Music DVD

I would like to burn a music DVD rather than a music CD, basically a collection of songs of my choice, for the car. Unfortunately K3b only allows me to burn CD’s as a audio medium and not DVD’s. When I try to burn songs on a DVD, I can only do it as a data DVD and that will not be played on the player in the car. A side note here, my car/SUV is a 11 year old Rav4, still in very good condition.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

• silkmaze,

it is one of those formats that never really took off. The only way I know for Linux is
http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/howto.shtml

Maybe oldcpu has more info.

Uwe

On Monday 15 December 2008 03:56, silkmaze wrote:

> I would like to burn a music DVD rather than a music CD, basically a
> collection of songs of my choice, for the car. Unfortunately K3b only
> allows me to burn CD’s as a audio medium and not DVD’s. When I try to
> burn songs on a DVD, I can only do it as a data DVD and that will not be
> played on the player in the car. A side note here, my car/SUV is a 11
> year old Rav4, still in very good condition.

Silly question probably, but your car’s stereo wouldn’t handle mp3’s, by
chance?

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Douglas Adams

silkmaze, I’ve never tried to do this myself. But I think the link Uwe provided appears to cover a good way to do this. If one searches under google for “burn audio dvd in linux” one gets hits like:

None of those links are openSUSE specific, so it will be necessary to search for openSUSE equivalents of the applications being used. Don’t forget to use ‘webpin’ as a resource for searching for precompiled applications: Webpin

Reference dvda-author, I notice from the link Uwe provided, when one goes to the download page: SourceForge.net: Files
and then goes to the latest version, one can download an rpm or a .deb file.

The rpm says this:

dvda-author - dvda-author creates high-definition DVD-AUDIO discs
Version: 08.09-12
Project Page: http://
dvda-author creates high-definition DVD-Audio discs with navigable DVD-Video zone from DVD-Audio zone
Supported input audio types: .wav .flac
EXAMPLES
-creates a 3-group DVD-Audio disc (legacy syntax):
    dvda-author -g file1.wav file2.flac -g file3.flac -g file4.wav
-creates a hybrid DVD disc with both AUDIO_TS mirroring audio_input_directory and VIDEO_TS imported from directory VID, outputs disc structure to directory DVD_HYBRID and links video titleset #2 of VIDEO_TS to AUDIO_TS:
    dvda-author -i ~/audio/audio_input_directory -o DVD_HYBRID -V ~/Video/VID -T 2
Both types of constructions can be combined. 

and it appears to have been created on Ubuntu, but Ubuntu is a debian based distribution and they do not use rpms to my recollection, so its possibly been converted to rpm by some app such as alien:

License: GPL
RPM group: devel
Distribution: linux
Packager: Fab Nicol
Build time: Sat Nov  1 23:41:07 2008
Build host: ubuntu
Size: 270861
Source RPM: dvda-author-08.09-12.src.rpm 

but looking at the directories and file list, and i think this rpm should work (assuming you do not have dependency problems when trying to install):

/usr/bin/dvda-author
/usr/bin/fixwav
/usr/share/applications/dvda-author.conf
/usr/share/applications/dvda-author.desktop
/usr/share/applications/fixwav.desktop
/usr/share/doc/dvda-author
/usr/share/doc/dvda-author/BUGS
/usr/share/doc/dvda-author/README
/usr/share/doc/dvda-author/dvda-author-08.09-dev.html
/usr/share/man/man1/dvda-author.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/fixwav.1.gz
/usr/share/pixmaps/dvda-author.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/fixwav.png 

Failing that, you could download the .deb and convert that to an rpm with alien, or one could go grab the cvs version (on a different link) and manually compile/build from the tarball.

Thanks for the tips, especially OldCPU. Sorry I haven’t been here for a couple of days, I was in St.Maarten for my X-mas shopping. (Where’s St.Maarten you ask, oh, just north of where I live, in the Caribbean, of-course. Merry Christmas everyone.<:)

• silkmaze wrote, On 12/18/2008 02:36 PM:
    > (Where’s
    > St.Maarten you ask

No, I have been there, and I’m envy green now <G>

Uwe (Merry Christmas from cold and rainy Germany)

Frohe Weihnachten wünsche ich (Hannoveraner), dir, aus Antigua.