multimedia and opensuse - make vlc and plugins work

i googled some scripts that were supposed to make kaffeine and vlc read common multimedia files, videos and dvd’s, but they didn’t work. is there any “standard” approach to solving this problem? i have used suse for four years and am surprised about finding so few tutorials. it would be nice if someone could post a working link. i just recently upgraded to opensuse 11 with kde, which is working excellently else.

best regards
ungua

try here

Restricted Formats/11.0 - openSUSE-Community

you should end up with only libdvdcss from VLC
everything else mutimedia should be from Packman

Thank you very much for your advice! There was some trouble during the installation, if I select “replacement” here, nothing happens and I get the same conflict over and over again:

#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2008-11-05 08:10:57 ####

libxine1-1.1.15-44.pm.0.i686 obsoletes xine-lib < 1.1.15-44.pm.0 provided by xine-lib-1.1.12-8.1.i586

] replacement of xine-lib-1.1.12-8.1.i586 with libxine1-1.1.15-44.pm.0.i686
     ] Ikke installer libxine1-1.1.15-44.pm.0.i686

#### YaST2 conflicts list END ###

… So I chose not to install it. Kaffeine still wouldn’t play any video-files except for .mov. But VLC is now able to play all kinds of video-files. If I try to watch an .avi with Kaffeine, I get this window up that refers me to a page where I am supposed to pay for some codecs. All other moving picture files simply result in an error message.

Best regards
Ungua

The solution here was to select ] replacement of xine-lib-1.1.12-8.1.i586 with libxine1-1.1.15-44.pm.0.i686 .

If that did not work, then add packman repository to your software package manager and then go to Yast > Software > Software management and select xine-lib for removal. But don’t apply it. Then immediately select libxine1 for installation. Then apply the two settings at the same time.

There is guidance here for adding repositories to your software package manager. http://opensuse-community.org/Repositories/11.0

I recommend only OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. No others. None. You can add others ONLY after you learn more about the risks, implications, and how to resolve problems.

Okei, I will try that when I find the time. Sounds more difficult. :slight_smile:

Best regards
Ungua

It worked! Thank you so much for your help! :slight_smile: Something different: I intended to download a torrent with Ktorrent, but even though i went for an older version of KDE, Ktorrent for KDE4 is installed - and not working. I assume I can just downgrade via Yast2, too?

Best regards
Ungua

Assuming you have the 4 repos I mentioned (and only those 4 and no others) then YES, you can down grade via YaST to the packman packaged Korrent for KDE3.

If you have other repositories (than just the 4 I mentioned) then it really depends on the repos. IMHO by far its easiest to follow my recommendation of those 4 repos (OSS, Non-OSS, Update, Packman), and only add more repos when you understand how to resolve these issues yourself.

Thank you for your advice an patience! My repository-listing was a mess, everything was doubled somehow.
(screenshot).

Can I downgrade Ktorrent directly from Yast or do I have to downloaded an older version .rpm? (screenshot).

Best regards
Ungua

Yes. Via Yast - Software Management
filter by repo
select Packman
ans scroll to ktorrent
add or remove what you need

But I just wonder WHY you say currently it’s not working??

I’ll try that! This forum is excellent and fast with advice, are you being paid? :slight_smile:

I though the trouble lay in that I had a KDE4-Ktorrent installed while I do not run KDE4. This is my OS information: Linux 2.6.25.16-0.1-pae i686, System: openSUSE 11.0 (i586), KDE: 3.5.9 “release 49.1”. Starting Ktorrent by clicking on a torrent-file I get the following message in the log provided by Konqueror:

[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 0xb5f246d0 (LWP 10301)]

and

[KCrash handler]
#5  0xb792ab05 in bt::endl () from /usr/lib/libbtcore.so.7
#6  0xb792931b in bt::Move () from /usr/lib/libbtcore.so.7
#7  0xb792b79b in ?? () from /usr/lib/libbtcore.so.7
#8  0xb792bd07 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libbtcore.so.7
#9  0xb792afbf in bt::InitLog () from /usr/lib/libbtcore.so.7
#10 0x0807ad8d in _start ()

Now I cannot even start Konqueror by running it from the menue, before there was an exception about not being able to run something in a folder “KDE4”-something. That’s probably not that helpful. :o

Best regards
Ungua

We are mostly all volunteers. … having said that, I’ve been known to give away a bottle of scotch, or purchase some meals, or buy some beer to contributors who have helped me a lot.

I think it fair to say many of us on this forum consider this part of our contribution to the openSource Free Software movement, where we get incredible applications for free, and an incredible operating system for free. So in turn, we contribute in the way we think we can contribute best.

Some people write code and create neat applications for others to custom compile on their PCs.

Others take that code, and package it for specific Linux distributions.

Others take the packaged applications, and put it on file servers for many of us to access.

Others purchase one or more version, of various Linux distribution(s), to help offset the costs of packaging the Linux distributions.

Others seed (via bittorent) the various packaged distributions.

Others write wiki / documentation …

Many help on the mail lists and IRC chat channels.

And then there are those of us who help on the forums.

Some basic openSUSE Linux concepts are here: Concepts - openSUSE

And some description of the openSource free software movement: Free Software Philosophy - openSUSE

You could remove the duplication. You only need 1 x OSS, 1 x non-OSS, and 1 x Packman. I would be cautious with having nvidia. I would only add it when I specifically need a driver update. The rest of the time I would leave it disabled. The last thing one wants is an unstable driver stopping one from booting direct to X window.

If I read that correctly, you have ktorrent 3.1.4 installed, which I believe is the KDE4 ktorrent. i.e. ktorrent-3.1.4-0.pm.1.i586.rpm

Try selecting ktorrent 2 which I believe is for KDE3. ie … ktorrent2-2.2.7-0.pm.4.i586.rpm

Thank you for all your replies!

Best regards
Ungua