Multimedia and KDE 3 versus KDE 4

Hi,

I instaled OpenSuSE 11.1 RC1 and them made a zypper dup upgrade to the current version.

I notice that under KDE4 both Amarok, Xine, Kaffeine and other multimedia apps that need the special codecs run with no problem.

But under KDE 3.5 sessions things like mpg3 files and dvd movies are not able to play …
I wonder if I am the only one under this situation.

Regards,
Pedro

That is not my experience.

Mind you I did not update with zypper dup.

I did a fresh install. I setup up 4 repos: packman, oss, non-oss, update. And in installed packman versions of amarok, libxine1, and kaffeine (to replace the crippled Novell/SuSE-GmbH provided versions). I also installed libffmpeg0 from packman, as its dependencies provide needed codecs. I also find Packman packaged vlc and smplayer (which picks up MPlayer), and also mplayerplug-in (for surfing) with flash-player work well.

I had no problems with either KDE3 nor KDE4. It was all simple and fast to do.

Hi,

Maybe this is the problem … I also have the ususal repositories but the Amarok and kaffeine where installed from the dvd … I will try to install amarok, libxine1 and kaffeine from Pacman’s repository…

I also installed libffmpeg0 from packman, as its dependencies provide needed codecs. I also find Packman packaged vlc and smplayer (which picks up MPlayer), and also mplayerplug-in (for surfing) with flash-player work well.

I had no problems with either KDE3 nor KDE4. It was all simple and fast to do.

In my case in KDE4 everything runs smoothly, the problem is that I think this multimedia packages where build thinking in KDE4 … hence the problems … or maybe not, I can not know if this was a problem up-grading from zypper, quite frankly I did not have time to test these apps under 11.1 RC1 …

Oh! Apart from this and the Bluetooth 11.1 Rocks!

Regards,
Pedro