Multicore Requires OS Rework, Windows Architect Advises

With chip makers continuing to increase the number of cores they include on each new generation of their processors, perhaps it’s time to rethink the basic architecture of today’s operating systems, suggested Dave Probert, a kernel architect within the Windows core operating systems division at Microsoft.

Awwwww poor baby, can’t take on all the cores??? Good thing Linux can so GTFO! :smiley:

Multicore Requires OS Rework, Windows Architect Advises > Comments

They’re gonna do it: linux under the hood, a closed source desktop on it :wink: :slight_smile:

I am not surprised, after all linux was ahead of windows with multi core support.
To have a whole OS re write is what MS gets for tying everything into the kernel.

According to an article in a hardware magazine I read months ago, there is a efficiency issue with the number of cores. IINM 8 was a practical limit. Going to 16, for instance, wouldn’t yeld even 10% increase in performance. The limiting factor is the core/memory management overhead, it seems to increase faster than Moore’s law.

So I’d guess that 4-core processors will be the mainstream norm for many years to come.

Really? That’s why Intel just released a 6-core CPU (and AMD is following soon) which offers amazing performance. I don’t know what you read in this article, but have a read at this. :wink:

IBM’s 8-core POWER7: twice the muscle, half the transistors

AMD Following soon? They’re already shipping 8 and 12 cores!.

Really. Apparently with current MAINSTREAM technology (45 nm die imprinting, I think), the losses in longer paths (to access all processors) start to offset the advantages with more 8 processors or so.

Of course with a change of paradigm this is unpredictable. In an unspecified number of years we may well have 64+core organic processors, or quantum processors, of whatever.

Also note that what AMD has developed is not a 12-core processor, but two 6-core processors joined at the hip, so to speak. That’s probably fine for high performance servers, render farms or supercomputers, but I think you’ll find that the power and cooling requirements will keep it away from most desktops.

Anyway, that’s just my not too uninformed opinion, always risky in this field.

And there is a lot of hype in these announcements. Most will be in, say, 2 years from now, abandoned or only good for a laugh. You have only to grab a couple of “serious” computer magazines to see that (the 5 GHz Pentium, the holographic computer, etc.)

Mind you, not that they are impossible, just that they never got mainstream.