Multiboot with Opensuse 11.2, Linux Mint and Windows 7

Hi,
I am using Opensuse 11.2 for the last few days, and I absolutely love it!! I have a dual boot system at the moment, with OpenSuse 11.2 and Windows7. However, i want to make space for another Linux OS for testing purpose.

More precisely, I have 750 GB hdd space. Windows 7 in C Drive (40 gb ntfs) and OpenSuse has like 30 GB for itself. Rest of the partitions hold data. I want to use one of the empty partitions for another Linux distro. Presently for Linux Mint. This partition may be rotated with other distros later, but i intend to keep Opensuse permanently.

My Question is, if i install Mint now, will its grub configure Opensuse and Windows7 into the loader automatically or will i need to manually change something? I do not want to lose my OpenSuse installation, neither Win7. :frowning:

Also, is it necessary to have a common /home partition, or can the 2 distros have their own /home partitions? Please help me out. I’ll proceed with the install only after i get a go ahead from here (with instructions :stuck_out_tongue: ) :slight_smile:

~ Karen

Please open a terminal and become su -
Post result of:

fdisk -l

So we can see your partitions.

Mint will take control of booting with it’s grub, which is different to openSUSE, Mint uses grub 2.

I would make a different /home for Mint
But a default Mint install will not create a separate /home anyway. It puts everything in one partition. You have to use custom settings during install to create a separate /home

Be careful.

Dear Caf,here is the result :

http://i46.tinypic.com/9surg0.jpg

For some reasons, my 120 gb external hdd is not showing in the result(?) :S

If mint takes control of the booting, i’m okay with that as long as it registers Opensuse into the loader. Or will i have to manually modify its grub file to include opensuse?

Also, i do not have any idea about this, but just thinking, if i make a separate /home partition for Mint, will there be any conflicts,since there is already another /home partition (that of Opensuse)? I mean, will the two distro recognize their own /home partitions ?

Finally, is there any disadvantage of letting Mint make its /home directory in its root partition? I may not keep it for too long anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

TIA :slight_smile:

Have you any idea which HD you want Mint on? And if so, which partition can you use/loose/re-size?

Just letting mint run with home and / all in one is fine if you are just experimenting.

No conflicts would result should you choose to create a /home for Mint.

Even if Mint doesn’t pick SUSE up during install
Post install just do this:

sudo update-grub

Editing Grub 2 is quite difficult.

I have a blank 40 gb partition which i intend to use for the second linux distro. However, it is still formatted with NTFS and from this list, it is impossible for me to guess which one is it.:stuck_out_tongue:

What I plan to do is, I’ll format the empty partition with ext3 using a partitioning software in Windows. That way, when i begin installing linux, it’ll recognize any linux partitions that are already there.So that negates the chance of wrongly formatting any other partition that holds data.

Just letting mint run with home and / all in one is fine if you are just experimenting.

No conflicts would result should you choose to create a /home for Mint.

Maybe I should divide the 40gb partition into 2 parts of 20 gb each. One for / and another for /home ?

Even if Mint doesn’t pick SUSE up during install
Post install just do this:

sudo update-grub

Thanks a bunch for that!!! :smiley:

Err, so should i go ahead with the install? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, as to going ahead, it’s up to you.
I do know I would NOT use windows software to format. And you want ext4 really.

It should be easy to determine which partition is empty.

My choice of tools for the format would be Parted Magic. It will let you browse all your partitions to see what is on each. There is a mount unmount tool. I say this because you must unmount your partitions before using the partitioner.

I would just let Mint have the partition as it is, don’t split it up. But you will need to use Custom settings to select it. It will automatically use any swap partition you have on any of the HD’s.

Finally - It is prudent to backup important data. Whilst I can advise as I have above. Ultimately what you actually DO is out of my control. So as I say, be careful

Using Parted Magic an Introduction - openSUSE Forums

Can you show us your fstab as well?

cat /etc/fstab

And output of

df -h

Oh yes! What i meant was, I’ll reformat the ext3 into ext4 while installing, just like i did while installing Opensuse. I had made this ext3 linux partition (and swap) long ago, using Partition magic. Opensuse recognized the linux partitions while installing, and formatted it using ext4.
I hope Mint does it too. Or i’ll manually get it formatted to ext4.

I would just let Mint have the partition as it is, don’t split it up. But you will need to use Custom settings to select it. It will automatically use any swap partition you have on any of the HD’s.

Finally - It is prudent to backup important data. Whilst I can advise as I have above. Ultimately what you actually DO is out of my control. So as I say, be careful

I’ll keep that in mind,Caf. :slight_smile: I’ll post what happens once i finish the install. Keeping my fingers crossed for now. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be back in a short while. :slight_smile:

I’ll be back in a short while. :slight_smile:
I hope so…

Thanks for your reply, Knurpht. :slight_smile: Here is the output :
http://i47.tinypic.com/2pen6.jpg

And output of

df -h

http://i49.tinypic.com/rw42gg.jpg

From this output, i see it is /dev/sda6 (/windows/E) where i’ll be installing Mint. :stuck_out_tongue:

sda6 should be OK

Dear Caf, the install went smooth ! :smiley: The installer in Mint recognized Opensuse and Windows 7. While on the Partition page, I chose custom partitioning to divide sda6 into 2 halves of 20 gb. Chose / mount point for the root and /home for the home partition and formatted it with ext4. That was it. :slight_smile:

Currently replying from Mint. :stuck_out_tongue:
http://www.imgx.org/thumbs/small/63530_mrvlz/Screenshot.png](http://www.imgx.org/view/full/63530_mrvlz)

One thing i noticed about Mint is that it boots up really fast. Within 15 seconds! Though i find it a bit spartan compared to OpenSuse. And the thing i miss the most is YAST!! I’ll fiddle around with this Mint for a while, but i’m coming back to Opensuse anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again to you and Knurpht. :smiley:

The Software centre is probably you key for installing what you want, it can look up and install stuff easily.

Remember, after a kernel update in openSUSE,you will need to boot Mint and do:

sudo update-grub

Keep to hand the Mint install disc. You may need it for a grub repair one day.

Happy it all went well. We aim to please friend;)

^Thanks for that tip, Caf. Have learnt a lot from you in the last few days, and I hope you wouldnt mind if i bother you with more silly questions in future. :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep up the great work!! You rock !! :smiley:

• Karen :slight_smile:

You are most welcome and can visit me with your questions/problems any time.
FYI: I have worked with Ubuntu and Mint and have written articles based on them.
I usually trial all major distros for a time in a testing partition, currently PCLinuxOS 2010.

Best to you Karen.