MSI Wind U230-086US netbook and LXDE SuSE? (esp hardware acceleration)

Hi, I want to install a lite linux on my Newegg.com - MSI Wind12 U230-086US AMD Athlon Neo MV-40(1.60GHz) 12.1" 2GB Memory 320GB HDD Netbook like LXDE SuSE but wanted see if anyone else has tried this, especially for multimedia. I would like to us my netbook for XBMC and HD playback but am a bit worried about drivers for this in linux as I have heard ATI driver support for linux is pretty bad. Any thoughts/comments etc on linux on this netbook or linux and driver support for ATI cards (ATI Radeon HD 3200 in this case) would really be appreciated!

Cheers,

-Gaiko

The Radeon HD 3200 driver will work fine with openSUSE-11.3 with both the radeon open source driver, and the higher performance proprietary ATI Catalyst Driver (where in the case of the proprietary ATI catalyst driver, both v.10.9 and v.10.10 should work fine). I note that netbook has an AMD Athlon Neo CPU. That cpu together with the 2GB of RAM means LXDE is ‘over kill’. Relative to Gnome and KDE, I find that LXDE tends to ‘shine’ more on older PCs with less memory (say 512MB RAM). I think with 2GB of RAM and the AMD Athlon Neo CPU you will find that both Gnome and KDE work fine and you won’t need a light weight desktop.

Before buying you may wish to check out Linux compatibility with the 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN and the Linux compatibility with the Integrated Sound Card . I can not tell what make wireless is on that netbook, nor can I tell what audio hardware is present, and if it were me, that is where my efforts would be focussed (and not on the ATI card).

Is there any chance of you laying your hands on one of these netbooks before purchase and booting to a liveCD as a test?

A bit of research here: MSI Wind12 U230 [LinLap - Linux Laptop Wiki] suggests an atheros wireless, which should work fine in openSUSE-11.3.

Audio compatibility refers to hda-verb which is “new” to me. But when I search the alsa web site, I get many hits for the hda-verb which suggests sound should work ok with kernel “as is”, and there should be no need to download extra hda-verb packages. Thats assuming that the audio IS an hda-verb.

Hi OldCPU, thanks for such a fast response! I found out that the audio is RealTek ALC 888S-VC2-GR and the wifi is either Atheros or something else (msi Wireless Lan? The site and tech support weren’t clear).

Cheers,

-Gaiko

There IS linux support for the ALC 888S … I don’t know anything about the “VCR-GR” nominclature, but my guess is the sound should work.

It reads like if the wireless is not atheros, it could be a RaLink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe. This thread refers: HOWTO build the RaLink RT3090 driver on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)

If that is the case, then I don’t think the RaLink RT3090 wireless will work ‘out of the box’ on openSUSE. But I do note a build service user has packaged the wireless driver for openSUSE: software.opensuse.org: Search Results for RT3090 … as to whether their packaged wireless driver works well, I can not say for certain.

It may be worth while figuring out if this is an atheros or the RaLink RT3090, and if it is the RaLinux RT3090, surf if you can find any openSUSE users who have successfully used this wireless device on their opensUSE install (with the noted driver).

A surf on our forum suggests an openSUSE-11.2 user was successful with some ( ?? ) version of the rt3090 driver: RaLink RT3090

and a warning of a possible bug you could encounter: Wireless driver initialized with NetworkManager, but not ifup

Wow good stuff, thanks for the info. At this point i won’t cry if i can’t get the wifi working right away as i plan to be using it with my wired network (streaming 720/1080 vid would be a bit rough over wireless); for me the sound is critical and hardware acceleration support are probably the most important as I will be using this with XBMC so playback is important (and will use for torrents/podcasts etc but I don’t foresee problems with that kinda of stuff). Its also nice to know that it shouldn’t have a problem with KDE, i was just thinking that in order to maximize its HD playback potential I wanted to have the lightest linux i can stand (and I like SuSE too much to change to another flavor).

Cheers,

-Gaiko

You may have a problem with 1080vid, and possibly 720 (not sure). The specs will need to be looked at further for that HD video requirement.

Note ATI, while they provide reasonable 3D/Special desktop effect driver support for Linux, do not provide much in the way of HD video support for Linux. The MS-Windows OS (win7) that comes with it, thou may support HD video with the ATI Radeon driver for MS-Windows driver. I think the HD 3200 likely provides AVIVO support for MS-Windows (but NOT for Linux).