MSI GX600 : Install 32 or 64 Bits ?

Hello !

I’m a future user of openSUSE (after Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Fedora) and i want to install this distribution which like pretty :slight_smile:

But i’ve a little problem, i hesitate between install 32bits and install 64bits with DVD support.
Where is the best performance? in 32 or 64?
Can you help me to choice?

the MSI GX600 is equiped with a Intel Core 2 Duo T7250.
2Go DDR2-SDRAM, HDD 160Go SATA, Wifi Intel, Bluetooth, Screen with max resolution 1280x800.

Thanks ^^

IMO, unless you are doing programming or have more than 3 GB of RAM, you probably won’t notice any difference between 32 and 64 bit. Some stuff doesn’t work without some fiddling in 64 bit, and since you are using 2 GB of RAM, I would recommend using the 32 bit. If you decide to use the 64 bit, be aware that you may run into problems using the java and flash plugins for your browser. They are fixable (search the forums or google for 64 bit flash OR java), but may not work “out of the box”.

Hope that helps, and other opinions are welcome.

You could install both on separate partitions if you have some extra hard drive space. 30 gigs (15 gigs for 32 bit and 15 for 64 bit) should be plenty.

The partitioning can be a little tricky, but it’s a fun project. I would install 32 bit first, and get that working perfectly (be sure to save some space when you partition) before installing the 64 bit version. The reason for getting 32 bit working real good is that you generally lose both OS’s if you have to reinstall the one lower down on the totem pole.

They can share the same swap file, so keep that in mind when partitioning.

Thanks for your adds
My choice will be to install OpenSUSE 32Bits :slight_smile:

Why on earth people install 32 bit distros for 64 bit architectures.Ive never,never understood that.
There is absolutelly nothing that is not functional under 64 and works under 32.
Flash plugin works fine.Just fine.
I think this is clearly a M$ windows way of thinking “32 bit for everything,no matter what…”

I wanted to say “You’re an idiot”, but then decided to hold back.

You are totally misinformed if you believe that ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING
works on 64-bit that does on 32-bit.

And, it has NOTHING to do with Windows, which has 64-bit versions of
both XP and Vista.

Have you ever benchmarked 32-bit Linux vs 64-bit Linux?
I did (on my Sempron 3100 1GB machine), and 64-bit Linux
lost handily.

Enough said.

I found previous 64 bit versions of Open Suse to be noticeably buggier than the the 32 bit versions. This latest one is the best I have seen so far, but people are still reporting some problems.

Also, not all programs are available in 64 bit, and I have used both versions but notice no performance increase at all by going to 64 bit.

That said, I’m going to re-install it today on another partition, but plan to use and compare the 32 and 64 bit versions side by side and see which one I like better. I have installed 64 bit three or four times already, but it never seems to last very long on my system before running into some major problem and I just ditch it and go back to 32 bit.

Gentlemen please keep it civil. No need for name-calling or any casting of aspersions.

Andy

In O.S. 10.3, I was able to install 32-bit libraries during installation of 64-bit suse so 32-bit progs would run.

How can that be accomplished with 11.0 or 11.1?