Mouse sensitivity differences

This is a pretty open question, but I was wondering about this for quite a long time. What creates the difference between the mouse sensitivity in Linux and Windows? When I used Windows as my main OS, I always found the sensitivity in openSUSE very high, and nowadays I find the opposite thing - the sensitivity in Windows feels too low. At first I thought that this was due to mouse acceleration being enabled on Windows. However, if I disable it, the sensitivity in Windows seems to decrease even further (making it less sensitive under Linux even if it is set to the highest setting). The same thing happens when I increase the resolution of my mouse on Windows - it becomes less sensitive. And with high sensitivity and acceleration, the mouse pointer in Windows seems to skip pixels, making it impossible to click or drag on precise pixels, which is annoying when I need to select an accurate window position and such.

So what gives? Why is there such a difference? The mouse here on Linux is sensitive, yet accurate and never skips pixels, so it seems as if there was a whole lot of acceleration applied to it here… Is it just that, or are there any more major differences?

In case you’re wondering, I’m using the Razer DeathAdder, although the same thing should apply to other mice as well (though the DeathAdder is good for having a configuration tool on Windows).

On 09/13/2011 08:36 PM, GreatEmerald wrote:
>
> Why is there such a difference?

because of the different setting built into (as default) each OS and
from the different drivers used…and the drivers ability to be adjusted
by the user…

(i do not know about Windows but) in Linux just set the mouse up the way
you like it; fast, slow, whatever!!

you didn’t say what desktop environment you are using, but if KDE just
go Personal Settings - Configure Desktop > Hardware > Input Devices >
Mouse > Advanced…and depending on the driver in use for your mouse you
may have more settings than you immediately understand…here with a
generic mouse i have: pointer acceleration, threshold, double click
interval, drag start time, drag start distance…AND (down at the
bottom) a HELP button so i can understand what each does…

on the other hand, i just bet your mouse was shipped with a Windows
driver, and no Linux driver…so . . .

DD
Caveat
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

That is true, of course, but I am looking for the specific settings that might be different, since there is only a limited amount of them. I see that by default I have 2x mouse acceleration here on Linux (and yes, I’m using KDE).

I’ve just read a few very interesting articles on how it actually works on Windows. It seems that making the sensitivity higher simply makes the cursor skip pixels, which is exactly what I don’t like. Making DPI higher should be similar to increasing the pointer speed (but without skipping pixels), but there is a glitch that causes negative acceleration at times. There’s also the USB rate, but it doesn’t matter when talking about sensitivity.

Now this makes me wonder, how do I set the DPI resolution here on Linux? For one, it’s not on System settings. It seems to have been possible to define it in xorg.conf, but it’s being deprecated anyway, so is there a better way of changing that? Or finding out what it’s currently running on, for that matter? Also, I assume that Linux does not forcibly adjust the sensitivity of the mouse by skipping pixels or ignoring mouse movement (hence no option for that).