Mouse half working in plasma

I have opensuse 13.1 with kde 4.11
The mouse navigates to all positions but will not activate icons on plasma, though it works correctly in firefox and other programs. This can be corrected for a short while by logging out and in again.
Does anyone have an idea of what to do to fix it

Did it work in the past and just stop? or is this a new install/upgrade?

Mouse type/how connected?

Video card/chip and what driver if any?

And do you have any network drives/shares mounted?

From your description it seems that Plasma (the desktop) is hanging/frozen. This is a common problem if you have unreachable network mounts.

The mouse is connected via usb, It does have a network share.
It has been running ok for a couple of years and I think it started after an update, about 2 weeks ago…
I have seen a thread about using xdotool to cure this behaviour, but am not sure how to implement it.

So, try to disable the network share and see if it helps.

If yes, you could disable some KDE background services to prevent the problem, see here:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/507819-Several-major-issues-with-Plasma-5-other-issues?p=2713290#post2713290
That thread is about Plasma5, but the same applies to KDE4 as well. The settings module is named slightly different though, “Service Management”, or you should run kcmshell4 instead of kcmshell5.

I don’t think your problem is hardware/driver related, if the mouse still works fine inside of applications…
Also it would probably not work at all then, and not stop working some time after login.

I have seen a thread about using xdotool to cure this behaviour, but am not sure how to implement it.

Hm?
I only remember a thread about how to “disable” the screensaver with xdotool…
Can you point to this thread?

This is the thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153359I now see from the article, how to invoke xdotool and have done so. Will see how it works.

I used “xdotool mouseup 2” and it has worked - no sign of problem in about 4 days.