Mouse Capture In VirtualBox

Installed OpenSUSE in VirtualBox to try out. Boots ok but can’t capture mouse! I installed with all defaults and using Gnome. Host OS is Ubuntu. I’m running XP fine in VirtualBox and wanted to test drive OpenSUSE.

Any ideas and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you installed the ‘guest additions’?

No. Can you walk me through that. I can’t control mouse to open terminal and, as you can tell, I don’t know enough to open/run terminal without the mouse.

You can switch mouse control between host and guest, usually with the right ALT key. The guest additions come with your download, the best way of installing them is to mount the .iso file as a CD drive in your guest.

The Sun help is pretty good for VBox. Read it.

From Sun’s VBox Help:

Your mouse is owned by the VM only after you have clicked in the VM window. The host mouse pointer will disappear, and your mouse will drive the guest’s pointer instead of your normal mouse pointer.
Note that mouse ownership is independent of that of the keyboard: even after you have clicked on a titlebar to be able to type into the VM window, your mouse is not necessarily owned by the VM yet.
To release ownership of your mouse by the VM, also press the Host key.

May not have described problem very well. When I click inside the VM window, while the machine appears to capture my mouse, the machines mouse will not respond. I can “un-capture” by pressing the “ctrl” key on the right side of my keyboard but I can’t control the mouse on the OpenSUSE desktop.

This was a no brainer with Ubuntu. Maybe I’m wasting time with OpenSUSE?

Thanks for the help.

It is exactly the same. Both are Linux and both act the same way in this case.

You need to install the addon drivers. Then the mouse will just work. Without the drivers it is as you describe.

Hmm, it just works for me without any addons. When you click in the guest OS’s window, the mouse cursor will disappear because in the guest OS it won’t be at the position where you clicked. But it’s somewhere on the guest desktop and if you wave the mouse around you will see it.

The addons allow auto change so the mouse just changes as needed you don’t need to press the right ctrl.

That is exactly how it works with XP in VM and how I expected it to work with OpenSUSE in VM. I can in fact see the mouse cursor on the OpenSUSE desktop but it does not respond. As I understand it, the add-ons will make the mouse change seamlessly but until I get the mouse to respond at all, I can’t install the guest additions etc…

Does anyone know if the problem might be related to using Gnome instead of KDE? Just a thought.

Thanks.

golfnut324 wrote:

>
> ken_yap;2156662 Wrote:
>> Hmm, it just works for me without any addons. When you click in the
>> guest OS’s window, the mouse cursor will disappear because in the guest
>> OS it won’t be at the position where you clicked. But it’s somewhere on
>> the guest desktop and if you wave the mouse around you will see it.
>
>
> That is exactly how it works with XP in VM and how I expected it to
> work with OpenSUSE in VM. I can in fact see the mouse cursor on the
> OpenSUSE desktop but it does not respond. As I understand it, the
> add-ons will make the mouse change seamlessly but until I get the mouse
> to respond at all, I can’t install the guest additions etc…
>
> Does anyone know if the problem might be related to using Gnome instead
> of KDE? Just a thought.

Sounds like you are using the Sun version of VBox but I have one question:
what kind of mouse are using? I use both PS2 and USB mice on different
machines and the USB variety caused me all sorts of consternation when I
allowed the VM to grab the link module - that was with XP as a guest - and
once it got hold of the wireless module school was out. The only way to
get the mouse back to Linux was to unplug and re-insert the wireless module
when I switched back. This was with a couple of different Logitech
mice/modules but it might be a clue for you. I’ve never seen the issues
you have but then I haven’t tried all that many different VMs and never
from anything but a Linux host.

Will Honea

Thanks for that clue Will. I do in fact have a wireless Logitech mouse set up on my laptop. Maybe that’s the problem? Just to clarify, I am using Ubuntu 9.10 as the host and Sun’s VirtualBox with XP installed as guest(working fine) and OpneSUSE installed as guest(no mouse control). I’ll try to run without wireless mouse and see.

Thanks for the tip!

Craig

You might look at the xorg.conf files in Ubuntu and see how the mouse is defined. I had to make a xorg.conf for myself for some other oddities with my Logitec wireless going through a KVM switch. But that had to do with Mozilla products, Vbox always worked ok I think.

golfnut324 wrote:

>
> Thanks for that clue Will. I do in fact have a wireless Logitech mouse
> set up on my laptop. Maybe that’s the problem? Just to clarify, I am
> using Ubuntu 9.10 as the host and Sun’s VirtualBox with XP installed as
> guest(working fine) and OpneSUSE installed as guest(no mouse control).
> I’ll try to run without wireless mouse and see.
>
> Thanks for the tip!

There is a simple fix for this particular loss (and a related one with a USB
keyboard): do NOT let the VM aquire the mouse/keyboard USB port. It then
uses a virtualized kbd/mouse driver that runs using the services of the
Linux drivers - problem solved. This works especially well with the Guest
Additions installed.

Will Honea

I had the same problem with a VM, and I don’t think this thread is ending the a satisfied END :slight_smile:

After reading the whole thread carefully you end up don’t knowning if the last advice helped. But I can confirm that the last advice helped:

Go into Vbox window of the guest and click:

Machine -> Disable Mouse Integration ;and then click inside the guest window.

You can get out again by the Host Key (left ctrl).

After that you may install the AddGuestSW and obtain fully mouse integration.

Jan

on the bottom right corner of the vm You see the host key mainly it is right ctrl key when you hit that key the keyboard and mouse are captured in the vm and make sure you have extention pack installed of the virtualbox as it sorts the problem related to the usb 2.0
or you can try to mount the mouse by the VM window simply go to devices select usb devices and select your mouse it will be captured

if you have installed the OS then to go to terminal you just have to do this
press Alt+F2 the run command dialog will open type terminal and do what you have to