Mouse and keyboard trouble after upgrade

Hi
New to opensuse (but not linux). Thought I would try opensuse and liked it. Decided to upgrade to 11.2 from 11.1 via zypper. Everything seems to be ok but I cant use my keyboard or mouse. I can boot into safe mode.
Have looked through forums but cant seem to make anything work. Any help would be appreciated. Like opensuse and would like to continue using it, but it is pretty useless without being able to input.
Thanks

are you using usb or ps/2 keyboard and mouse?

I can use either as I have a USB mouse with a ps/2 adapter. I tried both ways. Neither worked. One thread I found said something about modifying the xorg.conf file, but I as I understand it there isn’t one any longer.
Not sure where to go. I tried adding repos via yast in failsafe mode, couldn’t add repos. I think it is just a matter of modifying something but just not sure where to go with it.
Thanks

Did you look? If you upgraded there may be a xorg.conf. left over from the previous install.

When I try to access the xorg file I get a message about being unable to connect to x server or something like that. But I can ‘startx’ in failsafe mode.
Thanks

??? that does not make any sense

the file is /etc/X11/xorg.conf

it is just a text file owned by root. (so you need to be root to edit it)
try
ls /etc/X11/xorg.*

see if it is there (note capital x in X11)

To edit it log on as root or use su to become root and type

joe /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(joe is a nice simple ditor that I know gets installed by default

But really you just need to rename it. Try as root
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old

then reboot see if that does it If not we may need to create a new one but the old one is broken.

When I try the ‘ls’ command, I get

"cannot access /etc/x11/xorg.conf’.

When I try the ‘joe…’, I get a

“command not found”

I am beginning to think my install is hosed. But am up for further suggestions.
Thanks

To see if joe was installed type “which joe” in a terminal. It should return the program location.

You might also try nano which is another simple editor.

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bk
startx
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Thanks guys. Will post back this evening after work.

***tommyttt

***Ok. Got to my xorg file with nano (I think). A blank page came up with the file at the top and the word “modified” at the top right. Nothing else on page. Joe was not installed, according to the return.

please_try_again

When I run

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bk
startx

It says “Welcome to opensuse…” and I log in again. X starts but no dice on the mouse and keyboard.

With:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

I get a “no such file or directory” reply.

Thanks

Never mind guys. After researching some more I went ahead and did a reinstall.

Thanks