I’ve been having some issues with mouse settings (acceleration or flat) intermittently defaulting after having set the speed and acceleration according to how I want them.
A logout / login solves the problem but whilst in my KDE the problems occurs again. I prefer slower cursor movement and it’s rather annoying to discover that the cursor suddenly speeds up.
I am running X11 Plasma according to the login screen.
I’ve tried a hack to xorg.conf :
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
# set the following to 1 1 0 respectively to disable acceleration.
Option "AccelerationNumerator" "2"
Option "AccelerationDenominator" "1"
Option "AccelerationThreshold" "4"
But no joy.
Don’t ask me why but I also tried the same thing to libinput for Wayland :
Did you try, in the KDE Plasma System Settings → Hardware → Input Devices → Mouse section – to setup the Pointer speed and Acceleration profile settings?
The Acceleration profile can be either “flat” or “adaptive”.
What’s interesting is, the value of the parameter “AccelerationProfile” – that doesn’t change – it remains with the value “Adaptive” being set …
[HR][/HR]I really don’t know – when, in the KDE System Settings, I change the Acceleration Profile from “Adaptive” to “Flat” and, reduce the pointer speed somewhat, I get a Mouse Pointer behaviour which is for me, quite sluggish and slow.
The complete ‘kcminputrc’ section “Mouse” settings, for a slow, sluggish, Mouse Pointer on this machine, set by the System Settings Mouse settings, are:
Yeah. The other way around :). Can you imagine me setting up and using a Archlinux system (which I did couple of years back).
Being a GUI guy I am intrigued to manually configure config files as long as they’re aren’t too many. But it’s definitely interesting to see what happens behind the GUI curtains.
Therefore, assuming that, you’ve not messed around with the default openSUSE RPM dependencies, you should have a “libinput” configuration file located in the system’s X11 configuration directory tree and, that default configuration will cause that, X11 and Wayland use “libinput” by default for the Mouse and, the Keyboard and, whatever else that’s available as input devices …
To be perfectly honest, what other distributions do regarding the configuration of input devices is often, counterproductive to the openSUSE/SUSE « do as much as possible automagically
» approach to configuration …
libinput supports global file /etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks. It is not strictly speaking configuration file, but sometimes it can be used when frontends do not offer necessary option. E.g. I use it to disable trackpoint (but leave its buttons enabled).
Of course downside is that these quirks are not really documented so you would likely need to check sources what they do.
As root I haven’t touched anything so it’s weird to me the libinput settings were empty, but yeah, it was a risk and pretty desparate move to use another distribution’s settings for this issue. On openSUSE forums I couldn’t find anything closely related than mouse settings reverting to default after reboot so it was sort of a last resort to copy and paste.
Since this little hack seems to work, it looks to me libinput wasn’t used by Xorg.
That configuration file would have been ignored as there is no device with the Identifier “My Mouse”…
X11 would use libinput’s default configuration matching your mouse with the “catchall” section of “/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf”. Any changes you make to KDE’s settings (System Settings → Input Devices → Mouse) would over-ride the defaults.
If you want to experiment with your “/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf” you first need to change “My Mouse” to “USB OPTICAL MOUSE” as that’s how it’s identifying itself.