Mount Windows Drive in Write Mode

Hi, I am a new player in this Linux world. This is also my first post. So please excuse my ignorance.

I have install 11.2 version with dual boot option with WinXp. During installation I selected to mount the windows drive in /windows/C folder. Now the mounted drive in read only if I login as a regular used. from command prompt I can login as root and write on the drive. What needs to be changed to make the drive writable for regular used. I could not find that option in the /etc/fstab file.

I would appreciate any help on this and thanks in advance.

I do not know which editor you have, I will use “mcedit” for the example (you can install “mc” from YaST).

open terminal, and type:
#sudo mcedit /etc/fstab

find a line where your windows partition is mounted (you will see the line where near end, it is writen “ntfs-3g”).

After “ntfs-3g” you will have bunch of parameters, and at the end you will have " 0 0"
Change bunch of parameters to “default”, so your line, after “ntfs-3g” looks like “default 0 0”

Save it and reboot. You will now have write access.

Isn’t it ‘defaults’?

[Welcome, by the way!]

Your fstab should look like the below. If it does not, then update and reboot.

You can reach fstab like this – go to Yast2 – open Partitioner – dual click on NTFS partition – click on Edit – click on fstab options at the bottom (your “mount partition” should be checked).

fstab options for ntfs in partitioner:

users,gid=users,fmask=113,dmask=002,locale=en_US.UTF-8

I tried the Yast2 way and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the great help.