more dependency woes.. liborc?

OK now i’m getting a GUI popup prompting me with a list of updates. So when I click on OK it gives an error telling me there are dependencies missing (liborc?), so I have to close it, leaving the package manager icon lingering in my systray.

So I went to the CLI -

kermit:~ # zypper lr
#  | Alias                          | Name                              | Enabled | Refresh
---+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+---------+--------
 1 | Contrib                        | openSUSE-Factory -Contrib         | Yes     | Yes    
 2 | Packman                        | Packman                           | Yes     | Yes    
 3 | Packman_(non-essential)        | Packman (non-essential)           | Yes     | Yes    
 4 | download.opensuse.org-Extra    | openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra | Yes     | Yes    
 5 | download.opensuse.org-standard | Main Repository (Contrib)         | Yes     | Yes    
 6 | google-chrome                  | google-chrome                     | No      | No     
 7 | google-talkplugin              | google-talkplugin                 | No      | No     
 8 | repo-debug                     | openSUSE-11.4-Debug               | No      | No     
 9 | repo-debug-update              | openSUSE-11.4-Update-Debug        | No      | No     
10 | repo-non-oss                   | openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss             | Yes     | Yes    
11 | repo-oss                       | openSUSE-11.4-Oss                 | Yes     | Yes    
12 | repo-source                    | openSUSE-11.4-Source              | No      | No     
13 | repo-update                    | openSUSE-11.4-Update              | Yes     | Yes    
kermit:~ # zypper ref
Repository 'openSUSE-Factory -Contrib' is up to date.
Repository 'Packman' is up to date.
Repository 'Packman (non-essential)' is up to date.
Repository 'openSUSE BuildService - KDE:Extra' is up to date.
Repository 'Main Repository (Contrib)' is up to date.
Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Non-Oss' is up to date.
Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Oss' is up to date.
Repository 'openSUSE-11.4-Update' is up to date.
All repositories have been refreshed.
kermit:~ # zypper up
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

The following package updates will NOT be installed:
  cln gstreamer-0_10 gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs gstreamer-0_10-plugin-hal gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad 
  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-lang gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good 
  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-lang knemo 
  libgstapp-0_10-0 libgstbasevideo-0_10-0 libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 libgstphotography-0_10-0 libgstreamer-0_10-0 
  libgstsignalprocessor-0_10-0 libgstvdp-0_10-0 libv8-3 libvpx0 mjpegtools 

Nothing to do.
kermit:~ # 

Further -

kermit:~ # zypper lu
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
No updates found.
kermit:~ # 

Anyone want to give me a brief explanation of what is going on here? Why am I being promted to install packages that it can’t install, when a different package manager command is telling me there are no updates available anyway?

Have a look here, it is a similar problem:
Cannot install gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad

OK the dependency problem is due to an error in the repo. I understand that.

What I don’t understand is why the GUI package manager is saying that I have updates to install, and “zypper update” agrees; while “zypper list-updates” says there are no updates to install.

Sorry if i’m overlooking something obvious here, i’m not familiar with SUSE/zypp yet.

I had the problem with the liborc dependency. So I checked in Yast, and liborc’s level as installed met the condition (>=) expected by several packages (gstreamer? can’t remember). It’s some kind of packaging error, so I took the option to ignore the dependencies and installed the packages. However the fact that I couldn’t get amarok working with MP3, until I switched the KDE phonon backend for xine above that of gstreamer, may be related to problems with gstreamer packaging in packman factory repo.

I also had problems with that silly test version of the openSUSE updater applet. I ran it once as it said it had important update. It also uninstalled some packman packages and installed openSUSE versions, so I had to reinstall the packman packages, and then it kept telling me there were new updates i.e. those same ones I had just replaced! I should have known better than to bother with it. :frowning:

You may only be overlooking the fact that it’s a bit rough around the edges as an RC1 release. :slight_smile:

See also:

tag packagekit
Search Results - openSUSE Forums
and
openFATE #305394
Move KDE software updates notifications to upstream infrastructure
https://features.opensuse.org/305394
and
http://forums.opensuse.org/search.php?searchid=474876
and
Thread: [opensuse-factory] PackageKit, zypper and friends… Multi-repositories!
[opensuse-factory] PackageKit, zypper and friends… Multi-repositories!](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2011-02/msg00555.html)
and
Thread: [opensuse-factory] two update applets
[opensuse-factory] two update applets](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2011-02/msg00556.html)

And yes, it is only a release candidate.

Regards
Martin

A) Is package management in SUSE normally this labyrinthine or is it just with pre-release builds? And why are there so many conflicting and single-package repos anyway? Isn’t this just asking for trouble?

B) I still don’t understand why “zypper lu” is saying my system is up to date, while “zypper up” is saying that there are loads of updates ready. Surely this is the same program, reading the same repo indexes isn’t it?

Thanks. I’m not criticising for the sake of criticising here, I just want to understand.

Cancel point B). Sorry, I should’ve read the man pages better.