Monitor turns suddenly off

hi

I have a problem with my screen.

I have installed FreeBSD and after that I had a lot of problems.
The openSUSE bootloader was gone and repairing didn’t help.
I installed openSUSE new and the openSUSE bootloader didn’t show FreeBSD, the screen freezed sudddenly (during starting KDE and so on), the WLAN card didn’t see any rooters anymore and the monitor suddenly goes into sleeping mode (during booting, in the BIOS, just suddenly).

After getting crazy, I deleted with gparted everything and installed openSUSE new, but the problem with the sleeping mode stayed.

After killing few times the PC I checked if the grafic card was set in right and it was ok.

I believe the problem appears, because the grafic card needs more energy than the power supply can give, but I use the card for months and I had never any problems like that.

I also checked the cable, but it doesn’t have a break.

Grafic card: ATI Radeon HD 4830
Monitor: LG FLATRON L1715S

“Never change a running system”

It sounds more like an out of range issue.

Does your install complete OK because it sounds like you managed to install. If it has installed why not try this:

Pause the boot by moving the down arrow, then back up to the default boot. But now press backspace, it should delete any text where you can see VGA=.
Remove all text and now type just the number:
and hit enter

at the login type your user name and then password
now type:
su
then the root password

now type this:

sax2 -r -m 0=vesa

(N.B. the 0 is a zero not a letter)

now reboot
if you don’t get a gui login
login as user and try this at the cli

startx

This will give you a basic graphics to log you in and from there look at installing the ATI driver

STS301 adjusted his/her AFB on Saturday 02 May 2009 09:46 to write:

>
> hi
>
> I have a problem with my screen.
>
> I have installed FreeBSD and after that I had a lot of problems.
> The openSUSE bootloader was gone and repairing didn’t help.
> I installed openSUSE new and the openSUSE bootloader didn’t show
> FreeBSD, the screen freezed sudddenly (during starting KDE and so on),
> the WLAN card didn’t see any rooters anymore and the monitor suddenly
> goes into sleeping mode (during booting, in the BIOS, just suddenly).

The BIOS bit is a bit of a give away here, if the system “is” crashing in
the BIOS then it is definitely a hardware issue.

is the hard-drive detected correctly in the BIOS?
sometimes if the drive is on the way out it can cause these types of
symptoms, check the cables and/or use new ones.

Also you suspect the power supply, if you can get in the BIOS have a look at
the system health section and see if any of the voltages are reading low.

what wattage is your power supply and other hardware details please?

HTH

Mark

Nil illigitimi carborundum

thanks for your answers:

@caf4926: I don’t this would solve the problem, otherwise I installed the VGA driver and after that the problem occurred again.

I disabled ACPI and I could start the PC once without problems (after that I had to go)

@baskitcaise: The hadware detection makes no problems. The system doesn’t crash, it is mostly the screen or in this case the monitor.

check the cables and/or use new ones.

I also thought about that, but why does it work after a restart?

the voltage of the power supply is 350W.
The CPU temperature in the BIOS is 36°C, M/B Temperature 41°C, CPU Fan Speed 2812 RPM.

Mainboard : ASUS K8N4E - Deluxe
CPU : AMD Sempron Processor 3300+ (not overclocked)
Grafic card: ATI Radeon HD 4830
requirements: 450 Watt or greater power supply with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

The fan of the grafic card still works.

edit: Now I have the problem, the PC does start in 1 of 5 tries, in the other 4 tries, it just makes some “beep” noises and doesn’t start at all, I hear it is doing something, but I don’t know what.

Your video card or power supply may be shutting down due to power requirements. It may be intermittent, depends on a lot of variables. I’d change the power supply to one with at least the required 450 W, preferably more, as these ratings are usually “optimistic”.

yes, but it worked for months this way without problems and the problem occurred after installing FreeBSD (not that FreeBSD is a bug, but it happened after that)

Well, I have a system that worked for years with onboard video. Then I installed a nvidia card to use two monitors. It worked months without issues, then started to shut off spontaneously a few minutes after starting cold. After turning it on again it would stay on, but after a few weeks it wouldn’t turn on anymore.

Guess what: changed the power supply and it’s working OK now.

Oh, and the old font is also working nicely in a sempron I built for my daughter.

Fact is, hardware is not either 100% or bust, it degrades with time, behaves differently with different payloads, component tolerances change, etc. Even your graphics card energy saving settings (like powermizer in nvidia) may set trigger a protection circuit in the card or in the supply.

But suit yourself, it’s your box after all.

well I thought about that and friend also told me, that during summer he can’t overclock his CPU so much as during winter.

Thanks for help and I’ll try to get a new power supply.

:wink: