"Mode not supported" message

So… i tried to install opnsuse leap 15 on a new pc (and new hdd). i booted from the optical drive (opensuse dvd), chose the option “install”. it said the kernel is loading, then a screen with the green loader at the bottom shows up. after this loader screen there came a short screen with some text on it and… the screen went black! the monitor displaying “message: mode not supported H:95.5 KHZ V:60.1 HZ”. i restarted the install process over and over again with the same result.

system:
Motherboard: MSI- B450 TOMAHAWK (UEFI)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
HDD: WD-Blue 1TB

i wonder if this has something to do with the graphics card, which i transfererd from the old pc. nVidia GeForce GT 630. But then again, it worked until that part of the installation.

any ideas?

found a similar image of the message displayed… looks something like this https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF4hNLXJWmco_aQgN25q2cdb426UKoTSeIzukX1CIxoMsN7bA_

I’m assuming you’re using the open source driver to drive the graphics adapter currently. It may be better supported with the nvidia driver. Examination of /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be needed to see what “incompatible” display mode was set. It’s not a common occurrence, as usually the monitor EDID is used to determine supported display modes. You could switch to a virtual terminal (eg CTRL+Alt+F2 to get to VT2) to examine the Xorg log. It may be necessary to construct a minimal manual Xorg configuration to set the display mode explicitly. For example, using cvt to generate a modeline for 1024x768 @60Hz (a conservative display mode to start with)…

# cvt 1024 768 60
# 1024x768 59.92 Hz (CVT 0.79M3) hsync: 47.82 kHz; pclk: 63.50 MHz
Modeline "1024x768_60.00"   63.50  1024 1072 1176 1328  768 771 775 798 -hsync +vsync

then a minimal xorg.conf file…

# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
  Identifier      "Configured Video Device" 
EndSection
Section "Monitor" 
  Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
 # 1024x768 59.92 Hz (CVT 0.79M3) hsync: 47.82 kHz; pclk: 63.50 MHz
 Modeline "1024x768_60.00"   63.50  1024 1072 1176 1328  768 771 775 798 -hsync +vsync 
EndSection 
Section "Screen"  
  Identifier      "Default Screen" 
  Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
  Device          "Configured Video Device" 
  SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1024x768_60.00" 
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Restart the X-server, and see if that works. Higher display resolutions can be tired/used if you know what the monitor supports. Some experimentation may be needed.

Since you are new to linux, if the above method seems too complicated, as a first attempt, you might try using a monitor that has a different resolution than the one you’re currently trying to use. Your display driver is not correctly recognizing the screen resolution. Alternately, it might also be a problem with the Ryzen chip, as I understand it, linux support for those chips is not as good as intel chips. You could also try installing Tumbleweed since it has a newer kernel and might have better support for your hardware.

I have multiple displays that produce the same frustrating message under various conditions, most often when trying to use a VGA cable instead of DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort cable.

The timing of that message in your case is the point at which KMS engages, switching from whatever mode was initialized by the DVD’s bootloader before loading the kernel and initrd.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Linuxrc lists various available installation options that can be typed in at the DVD’s boot menu using the e key (edit) while the highlight is on Installation, among which is XVideo=. It may be that using XVideo= to specify whatever your display’s preferred mode actually is would allow you to proceed. e.g. XVideo=1600x900 or XVideo=1366x768. The kernel provides a video option for the framebuffer, video=. e.g. video=1920x1080 or video=1280x800. It too might help, or using both XVideo= and video= together.

The same Linuxrc page also lists options for disabling KMS, among which is nomodeset. Disabling KMS is a crutch to work around bugs that cause trouble like your display’s black screen with out of range message. It’s typically best to not try it first, because when it does work, it usually remains engaged in the installed system, crippling or even preventing use of graphical display modes until you remove it from bootloader configuration.

AMD Chipset on that Motherboard is OK for that Ryzen.
Ryzen 5 2600X implies: a Linux Kernel version of 4.15 or later: therefore, the only openSUSE variant which currently supports these CPUs is – Tumbleweed …

Hi
Can always switch to kernel:stable as well… adding the iommu=soft grub boot option may also work ( a couple of forum users report success with this option).

Note that iommu settings maybe changed in the BIOS also. I had to do that with current MB to get USB to work

hi there!

thank you all for your kind help. i tried out some of the things you’ve mentioned above (didn’t understand most of them), but without success…

i bought a new graphics card and it worked just fine. seems like it was some sort of incompatibility of the old graphics card with the motherboard.

thanks! :slight_smile: