mmcheck anomolies on 11.4_64 system

I am running 11.4_64bit/KDE4.7.
I decided to clean up a bit and ran mmcheck V2.35.

I have two differences from the mmcheck results that I believe are OK:
libdvdcss2 now appears in packman, which I assume is good as well

Step 4

4 . Show the libdvd* Packages are Installed for DVD Movies ...              

Command: rpm --query --all --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} -> %{VENDOR}
' '*libdvd*'

libdvdread4-4.1.3-15.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE
libdvdplay0-1.0.1-2.pm.2.1-x86_64 -> http://packman.links2linux.de
libdvdread-devel-4.1.3-15.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE
libdvdcss2-1.2.10-2.pm.3.1-x86_64 -> http://packman.links2linux.de
libdvdnav4-4.1.3-11.1-x86_64 -> openSUSE

You should expect to have 4 libdvd* packages installed,  1 from Packman.
----------------> libdvdplay0 <-------------from the Packman Repository.
----------------> libdvdread4 <----------- from the openSUSE Repository.
----------------> libdvdnav4 <------------ from the openSUSE Repository.
----------------> libdvdcss <----- from VideoLAN or openSUSE Repository.

If you have installed libdvdcss from openSUSE, you do not need libdvdcss
from VideoLAN. So having no files from VideoLAN is OK, but if you do, it
should only be the package libdvdcss.  In the future we suggest that you
switch to using only openSUSE and to remove the VideoLAN Repository.    
Only openSUSE 11.3 is supported at: http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.3/

Step 6:
mplayerplug-in is no longer in packman, I do have gecko-mediaplayer from Packman installed which I picked up from the forum as the proper alternative

6 . Show if mplayer2 or Mplayer Packages are Installed from Packman ...     

You only need to install one combination or the other (mplayer2 or MPLayer), but not both.

Check for mplayer2: 

Command: rpm --query --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} -> %{VENDOR}
' mplayer2 mplayer2-as-mplayer

package mplayer2 is not installed
package mplayer2-as-mplayer is not installed

You can expect to install 2 ---> mplayer2 <-- packages installed from Packman.
----------------> mplayer2 <--------------------- from the Packman Repository.
----------------> mplayer2-as-mplayer <---------- from the Packman Repository.

Check for MPLayer: 

Command: rpm --query --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} -> %{VENDOR}
' MPlayer mplayerplug-in smplayer

MPlayer-1.0rc4_r33996-1.pm.1.1-x86_64 -> http://packman.links2linux.de
package mplayerplug-in is not installed
smplayer-0.6.9+r3599-1.pm.3.1-x86_64 -> http://packman.links2linux.de

You should expect to have three -> MPLayer <- packages installed from Packman.
----------------> MPlayer <---------------------- from the Packman Repository.
----------------> mplayerplug-in <--------------- from the Packman Repository.
----------------> smplayer <--------------------- from the Packman Repository.

mplayer2 is a fork of MPLayer, its newer and when installed replaces all of the older MPLayer files.

I have not done extensive testing yet, but have not seen any issues.
Any other thoughts out there?

I have not done extensive testing yet, but have not seen any issues.

Hello cmcgrath5035. If you are having no problems then you are doing fine. The libdvdcss file location has gone back and forth, but right now it is not located in Packman, but it does not matter from where it is installed as you can still get it from VideoLAN. In any event option your four test looks fine. As for mplayer, this is another area that is in flux. Again, I see nothing wrong with your results. At such time I get an authoritative statement as to what we should look for with mplayer, I guess I will make no changes to mmcheck at this time. Now, if you do have your multimedia configured properly, why not go here and look at some movie trailers and let me know if it works:

iTunes Movie Trailers

I consider this to be the ultimate test to play the movie trailers in full screen with stereo audio going strong. I can’t get this to work right in Windows 7 on the very same computer, not that this is a surprise I guess.

Thank You,

Thanks for comments and the test site.
I ran a few of the trailers - they look good.

I am, still having some issues playing DVDs, but am still tweaking the player settings.

Are iTunes in mp4?

Thanks for comments and the test site.
I ran a few of the trailers - they look good.

I am, still having some issues playing DVDs, but am still tweaking the player settings.

Are iTunes in mp4?

So what kind of DVD problems do you have? What player are you using? I am not sure of the movie trailer format, but they are being played by Totem.

Thank You,

I have been having issues playing both hi-def (hi res) movies that I authored (DeeVeeDee, ManDVD2) and a standard res DVD authored by a friend on a Mac.
I believe my hi res issues are just CPU limits - System Monitor showing the PC maxed out.

I just verified that a commercial DVD plays just fine full screen in Kaffeine, so I need to do some additional settings checking for the others. I probably set the bit rate too high in the transcoding process (the hi-res stuff came from a DSLR as a .MOV file)

](http://forums.opensuse.org/members/jdmcdaniel3.html)jdmcdaniel3: since you are obviously into Multimedia - what are your "favorite" authoring and playback tools? There are so many to choose from, so many knobs and switches to master......

I have been having issues playing both hi-def (hi res) movies that I authored (DeeVeeDee, ManDVD2) and a standard res DVD authored by a friend on a Mac.
I believe my hi res issues are just CPU limits - System Monitor showing the PC maxed out.

I just verified that a commercial DVD plays just fine full screen in Kaffeine, so I need to do some additional settings checking for the others. I probably set the bit rate too high in the transcoding process (the hi-res stuff came from a DSLR as a .MOV file)

jdmcdaniel3: since you are obviously into Multimedia - what are your  "favorite" authoring and playback tools? There are so many to choose  from, so many knobs and switches to master......                 

So, when we talk about Multimedia I am simply a movie crazy person. There are just a few things you will find me doing when not at work or partaking of sleeping or eating. Number one is trying to help others on the openSUSE forum, number two is trying to write some sort of useful bash script, if that is possible, Number three is watching movies in Dolby Digital 5.1 (I own a couple of hundred DVD’s at least) using openSUSE Linux and the DVD player Kaffeine/KDE3 and number four is taking and editing pictures. Of late, those pictures have been of my two grand children. For that purpose of editing pictures, I uses Digikam which I highly recommend. I have done some DVD authoring work, but not much and I was using the Windows program Pinnacle Studio 12 for my last project. So, I do love to watch DVD movies with lots of sound, but not much of my own work, except for still pictures. I have two of those electronic LCD picture frames running with Grand:son/daughter pictures all of the time.lol!

Thank You,

Thanks for info - I really like Digikam as well.
It is so hard to keep all this digital media organized!

Thanks for info - I really like Digikam as well.
It is so hard to keep all this digital media organized!

Being organized is just a delusion I use on myself to feel like I am in control. Have just one hiccup or reload an OS without a proper backup and then see just how organized (and prepared) you really are. What about when those relatives show up and want to look at the latest pictures, from last Christmas. Humm, now what camera did I use? I just love it because everyone has a camera, but let someone else take that picture you want and see how long it takes to get to you. Well, I know one thing, when we get really old, You are going to have trouble finding that shoe box of old pictures to look through, that is for sure.

Thank You,