Mkinitrd installs evere ata driver you can think off

Running mkinitrd you see the drivers from sysconfig/kernel and then a hole lot off ata drivers at least 20 off them
During boot grub stalls at the screen before gfxboot screen i think in finding out wich ata driver to use

Question: how to get rid off those ata drivers ???

from /var/log/Yast2/mkinitrd.log

07 08:57:43 [MODULES] 11-block.sh: pata_cmd64x pata_pdc2027x pata_via sata_sil24 sata_qstor pata_piccolo pata_it821x sata_inic162x sata_promise sata_uli pdc_adma pata_pdc202xx_old pata_efar pata_cypress pata_sc1200 pata_oldpiix pata_a$

07 08:57:43 [MODULES] ‘modinfo -k “2.6.34-12-desktop” -F supported’ returned with an error.

This from a clean install 11.3 x86_64

So for what it is worth, I looked at my /var/log/Yast2/mkinitrd.log and I see the exact same thing as you on my system. It is even the same after upgrading to kernel 2.6.35. My question is, what kind of problem is this causing you? Is it using memory you do not have or taking too long to load? In general, not knowing all of the facts perhaps, I do not see this as any sort of issue, but you can set me straight right here with more information.

Thank You,

The problems are: when i put a dvd in the tray and close it the lamp in the dvd drive is on but device notifier dont see it
and i cant mount the dvd

So there are a couple of possible problems reading DVD’s, not associated with Mkinitrd. First off, I would ask that you read a thread I have on Optical drive names:

Multimedia Optical Drive Naming (ie /dev/dvd & /dev/cdrom) Howto in opneSUSE

Once you know and understand how Optical drive names are assigned and have looked at yours, then the next thing to check is permissions. Open YaST / Security and Users / User and Group Management. On the Users Tab, Select your name and pick the Edit button at the bottom left. Next go to the details tab and check: users, cdrom, and disk. Other things can and will be checked based on previous changes that have been made here. Say OK, saving your changes.

With this done, now let us try to open the DVD with say Kaffeine, if we can assume it is a movie you are trying to view and see if it will play now. The device notifier does not work properly with all applications because of device naming issues and because of permission requirements. Also once you have found a player solution that works for you, consider that not all players will work, but then how many solutions do you need besides one?

Thank You,

Changed th udev rules like you said

see this error in dmesg when i insert a dvd in the drive

Info fld=0x23101c
866.038321] sr 3:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: No seek complete
866.038324] sr 3:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 23 10 1c 00 00 02 00
866.038329] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 9191536

The next question I must ask is do you dual boot your system with Windows or any other version of Linux by chance? Why I would ask this question is to wonder if the drive works with anything else? Optical drives do go bad and they do fill up with dust and they work until suddenly they stop working, when you least expect it. I have had to use the old can of dust spray on more than on CD ROM drive and I have had more than a couple of drives go bad on me. It is worth considering.

Thank You,

No dual boot here only x86_64 linux

Dit some more testing result: the dvd drive died in +R and +RW disks the -R and -RW are ok.

So tomorrow a brand new dvd burner sata connected and a reinstall Suse 11.3

At the moment 11.3 with the 11.2 kernel because still to much “freezing” for a few seconds (even K3b burning)

I have downloaded 11.3 iso yesterday

Will burn it on the new drive to a DVD-R