Missing kernel after package update failure

Hello,

An error occurred while trying to run the kernel update package distributed yesterday. After canceling the update, I look in boot and see that the initrd file, initrd-2.6.25.16-0.1-default, is missing. I do have the initrd link, but since the main file is missing, it of course will not work. So, I have :

initrd -> <missing file>
vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.25.16-0.1-default
vmlinuz-2.6.25.16-0.1-default

Also, the /boot/grub/menu.lst is empty

I saw that others have had similar issues. However, the major difference seems to be that others were able to edit the menu.lst file to point to an older version. In this case, there are no older versions of initrd.xxx available at all.

Does any one know how I can obtain a proper copy of initrd-2.6.25.16-0.1-default? I checked the repositories, but do not seem to be able to find how to extract kernel packages to get that. I would sincerely appreciate any help. At the moment, the primary server for a non-profit is now down. :frowning:

After spending 4 hours of my Sunday night working, I figured out a solution.

In short, there appear to be a number of problems with the latest batches of patches. In my case, I think it has something to do with the fact that this server has the Xen kernel, but was running on the “xxx-default”. The patch crashed mid way through with the initrd missing. Plus, several other patches failed, but now don’g show in the list any more. I will have to look into the patch issue tomorrow. For now, here is a solution to get your initrd back in case it helps others:

• boot with the Suse11 DVD and enter rescue mode
  • mount <your root disk part id> /mnt (example: mount /dev/md0 /mnt)
  • mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
  • mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
  • mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
  • cd /mnt
  • chroot /mnt
  • mkinitrd
  • edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to match the latest initrd and vmlinuz
  • reboot

That should rebuild your initrd and fix the issue. Hope this helps save other from blowing hours of their time off too. :slight_smile:

actually i now have this same problem, but i could use a little more detail on how you fix yours.