Minimal Installation

1st post, so hello everyone :slight_smile:

I am planning on getting a Toshiba NB100 netbook to do Python programming with on the commute to work. I have never used SUSE before and have flirted with Ubuntu, Fedora OS X and DSL for a while now. Unlike ‘a few other’ Linux distros, is it easy to remove unwanted packages to get rid of bloatware that I otherwise would not need? If SUSE comes with bloatware at all…

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Suse does have a minimal install exactly what it’s been a while since I tried.

Think it depends how minimal if really minimal then I would of thought something like Arch/gentoo or such like would be better(Maybe Slackware not really tried).

I would say it depends on what you want really. If you still want the distro bits then Suse may fit. If super minimal and configured your way and are competent with linux maybe not.

Not super minimal, that’s more of a pain to configure then use. Minimal to an extent that I can have Python, the default apps such as OpenOffice, FF etc is fine with me, definitly not as minimal as just a boot install without anything.

Think you’re splitting hairs not sure you’ll see much difference between them then. Once you start putting DE’s on you’ll get distro tweaks and deps.

Is kinda of the reason why people go for the user friendly distro’s. The other ones tend to tweak less and have less deps but take more configuring, and tend to be more vanilla.

Take Grub seeming as I’ve just looked. Arch is patching with 8 patches I thought I counted just shy of 20 for suse.

Thank you for the clarification. Arch linux for me is too minimal. I think I’ll try SUSE and see what I can do with it.

Thank you for the responses! Very much appreciated.

Concerning this netbook, you have comparatively lower cpu speed but good HDD space - 120 to 160 GB from the adds I saw - and 1GB memory.

You have to consider what is relevant to you:

1. fast boot
  2. fast app start
  3. fast app response

You’ll hardly get all three in a netbook, so, in my not-so-illuminated opinion/guessing:

1. For a fast boot set your distro with minimal services at startup, and a low-memory footprint DE. Something like DSL, puppy linux, JEOS (that may be an overkill, or rather, an underkill :)) with XFCE, IceWM, whatever.

2. For fast app start (and against fast boot) you can pre-load or autostart the apps you use.

3. For fast app response you’d have to choose light apps, with the (usually) corresponding loss in functionality. Openoffice is great, but not exactly light. The same for firefox. So you may want to try other options, like Abiword, opera, etc.

Of course you may choose to go to extremes such as compiling your own processor-optimized apps, kernel, etc. I wouldn’t, but that’s just me.