Microphone and Skype

Hi,

I finally gave up on 11.1 and reinstalled 64-bit 11.0. What a relief that almost everything works again :beat-up: But I’m still faced with the lengthy and daunting task getting the mic to work.

No playback sound is produced in either Skype or KRecord, but the time-length of playback does seem to reflect the length of my recording; that is, there’s no sound at playback but the start-to-stop ‘static’ varies according to how long I spoke into the mic.

I’ve installed the following (64- and 32-bit wherever possible):

alsa
alsa-oss 
alsa-oss-32bit
alsa-utils
alsa-devel
alsa-plugins
alsa-plugins-pulse
libasound2 
alsa-tools

I ran alsaconf and set all alsamixer levels. And I tried all input devices in Skype. Does anyone have a suggestion as to why this doesn’t work?

Thanks!

I do not use Skype nor KRecord, so I can NOT help you with those two apps. I typically use the very basic “arecord” to test.

To use arecord, try to record from a simple terminal command as such:
arecord -d 10 myrecording.wavand then play back “myrecording.wav” with a nominal player. The “-d 10” specifies a 10 second recording.

I know you stated you checked your mixer, but if that does not work, do a screen dump of your mixer settings and post it here. Sometimes users forget to properly populate their mixer.

You could also give me a complete text output of your mixer settings. One way to do that is to copy and paste into a terminal:
amixer > amixer.txt && curl -F file=@amixer.txt nopaste.com/athat should paste your mixer settings to a pastebin site. Then simply post here the URL. Just the URL.

Thanks, but without knowing the version numbers, its not enough to work with.

If “arecord” above could not be made to work by tuning your mixer then you need to provide more information (so that we can determine if this is “more” than a mixer problem). To do so, with your PC connected to the internet, open a terminal or a konsole and copy and paste the following into that:

wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh 

that will give you a URL (with your h/w and s/w audio configuration) when it is complete. Post here the URL. Just the URL.

Also, wrt installed rpms and other aspects, please post here the output of:
rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Hi oldcpu,

sorry for the delay. My system seems to be screwed-up pretty badly. Switching down from 11.1 to 11.0 seems to have damaged my file systems, so I can’t boot-up. Thus, I can’t test the mic yet.