mgetty doesn't start from inittab after upgrade to OpenSUSE 12.1

I had OpenSUSE 11.4 installed and mgetty + pppd properly configured. So, my computer worked as dial-in server just fine.
Last week something happened (I guess it’s due to the upgrade to OpenSUSE 12.1) and my computer stopped responding the incoming calls.

I spend some time and found that mgetty doesn’t start automatically anymore, though the corresponding line still exists in the /etc/inittab.
If I try init q – nothing happens. I can start mgetty from terminal by issuing the same command as printed in inittab, and it works fine (receives incoming calls).

I have no idea what’s wrong. I need help!

As the startup seqeunce is move to the new systemd method, /ec/inittab is not realy functioning anymore.

Might want to look at this blog which might be a place to run your script.

systemd and using the after.local script in openSUSE 12.1 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

On 2011-11-24 13:36, vlad2011 wrote:

> I have no idea what’s wrong. I need help!

Boot using systemV - F5 at the grub prompt. If that works, report in Bugzilla.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thank you for this information! First of all, I booted with F5 - systemV and mgetty autostarted no problem!
Then, following openSUSE 12.1 Release Notes, I switched to systemV permanetly.

Thanks also for the above link to blog, but that information looks like a workaround. I did not find official guide on how to implement the inittab functionality with systemd. It would be nice, if things like inittab were converted automatically when moving to systemd in the future releases of OpenSUSE!

On 2011-11-25 10:46, vlad2011 wrote:
> Thank you for this information! First of all, I booted with F5 -
> systemV and mgetty autostarted no problem!

Then please report in Bugzilla. Do not forget.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)