Message "Make sure that cd number 1 us in your drive"

When trying to install linux suse, A message saying “Make sure that cd number 1 us in your drive” appears. I read others threads similar or the same as this but there were not helpful.

Any suggestion ?

Best regards

Agu.

On Sat, 19 May 2012 20:26:02 +0000, agunet74 wrote:

> When trying to install linux suse, A message saying “Make sure that cd
> number 1 us in your drive” appears. I read others threads similar or
> the same as this but there were not helpful.
>
> Any suggestion ?

It would help if you told us which version you’re using and if you did a
media check and checked the ISO checksums.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Right now I’m not usign any version of suse. I’m using windows in one partition. I have another partition waiting for suse 12.1 64 bits. IF I try to o the check media with the installation cd, before I arrive to the check media screen, the screen og “MAke sure that cd numner 1 is on your drive” is displayed.

On Sat, 19 May 2012 22:26:03 +0000, agunet74 wrote:

> Right now I’m not usign any version of suse. I’m using windows in one
> partition. I have another partition waiting for suse 12.1 64 bits. IF
> I try to o the check media with the installation cd, before I arrive to
> the check media screen, the screen og “MAke sure that cd numner 1 is on
> your drive” is displayed.

So the problem is when trying to use the 12.1 ISO. Which one did you
download - live media, DVD?

Did you run the checksum against the ISO before you burned it?

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2012-05-20 00:36, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2012 22:26:03 +0000, agunet74 wrote:

> So the problem is when trying to use the 12.1 ISO. Which one did you
> download - live media, DVD?

View this thread
here

It appears there that the problem is related to the bios.

View this thread
here

There is a suggestion there by oldcpu about ejecting and inserting the dvd
and something more you have to read.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I’ve tried with live cd, and data DVD is all the same.

Maybe the problem is at the bios, but what is the problem there ?

Some people says my new computer maybe is not suitable for this distribution (suse)

I have as basic:
AMD QuadCore FX-4100 de 3.6GHz (64 bits, 4 cores)
4MB de L2 caché, Socket AM3+, 32nm, 95W)
4GB RAM (1 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz)
Hard disk 500GB SATA II
Motherboard AsRock N68-VS3 FX
video card EVGA GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3

any help will be thankful
regards,

agu.

On 2012-05-22 15:16, agunet74 wrote:
> any help will be thankful

Did you try the advices in those thread I pointed you to?


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Yes, but none of those worked.
Thank you ay way carlos.
I think that this distribution maybe does not support SATA disks.

On 2012-05-22 15:56, agunet74 wrote:
> I think that this distribution maybe does not support SATA disks.

No, all my disks are sata, including the dvd.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Then I am totally lost. :frowning: Maybeis something in the partition configuration or something at the BIOS, but I cannot say what is it.

Gracias Carlos igual!! You always are there to help me!

agunet.

On 2012-05-22 16:36, agunet74 wrote:

> Then I am totally lost. :frowning: Maybeis something in the partition
> configuration or something at the BIOS, but I cannot say what is it.

It is a bafling problem, it happens to some people don’t know why.

You could try the Beta release, 12.2, but not yet, when they publish M5. If
that one also fails, you can ask the developers in the factory mail list.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Maybe I should wait for suse 12.2. But I don’t think that solved the problem. Let’s see what happen. But One thing I will not make for sure is installing beta versions that are all inestables.

c-ya

On 2012-05-23 11:26, agunet74 wrote:

> Maybe I should wait for suse 12.2. But I don’t think that solved the
> problem. Let’s see what happen. But One thing I will not make for sure
> is installing beta versions that are all inestables.

But you must.

If you want this issue to be solved, YOU have to try the beta, and if it
fails, report immediately and officially, in Bugzilla, while there is time
for the issue to be solved.

If you wait for release, bear in mind that the ISO will not be repaired
again till 12.3, and you have to wait another 8 months.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

You’re right Carlos. Thank you very much for your advice.

I’m going to download 12.2 and will tell if it works or not.

c-ya

Agustin.

On 2012-05-23 13:56, agunet74 wrote:
>
> You’re right Carlos. Thank you very much for your advice.
>
> I’m going to download 12.2 and will tell if it works or not.

Thanks. Just be careful, after all it is a beta. Ask for advice if you
need, there is a beta forum.

Actually, now that I think, you do not really have to install it, just
attempt to install it to see if it asks about the cd number one…


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

yes, I’m going to “try” the installation to see if the computer asks me for cd number 1 or not. If don’t I wait for the stable release, if yes, I’ll report it on the bugzilla.

Thanks again Carlos. That was a great idea.

On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:56:02 +0000, agunet74 wrote:

> Yes, but none of those worked.
> Thank you ay way carlos.
> I think that this distribution maybe does not support SATA disks.

Do you mean “disks” as in “hard drive”, or as in “optical drive”?

I can tell you that my two most recent systems (one laptop and one
desktop) have SATA hard drives and work flawlessly. I’d have to check if
the optical drives are ATA or SATA, though.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:16:02 GMT, agunet74
<agunet74@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>I’ve tried with live cd, and data DVD is all the same.
>
>Maybe the problem is at the bios, but what is the problem there ?
>
>Some people says my new computer maybe is not suitable for this
>distribution (suse)
>
>I have as basic:
>AMD QuadCore FX-4100 de 3.6GHz (64 bits, 4 cores)
>4MB de L2 caché, Socket AM3+, 32nm, 95W)
>4GB RAM (1 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz)
>Hard disk 500GB SATA II
>Motherboard AsRock N68-VS3 FX
>video card EVGA GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3
>
>any help will be thankful
>regards,
>
>agu.

Hmmm. I have a kind of similar system:
AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz
16GB DDR3 2000
500 GB Hard disk
Gigabyte GA-990FX4A-UD3 mainboard
Some older mediocre ATI video card
All SATA system.

Runs the 12.1 live disk fine.

Maybe your cd/dvd drives are causing problems, though that would be weird
if they are SATA.

Try some other distribution(s) as well. You may be able to install Suse
over the top of another distribution.

?-)

I typically get this problem with an openSUSE DVD using the external USB DVD drive on our GNU/Linux laptop. The solution there is to play with <CTRL><ALT><Fx> settings when the error appears, and keep trying to read the original DVD. Eventually, after some minutes of trying, one of the random combinations of <CTRL><ALT><Fx> together with a retry work. I documented this some time back in one of the milestone-release threads.

On 2012-05-24 07:26, oldcpu wrote:
>
> I typically get this problem with an openSUSE DVD using the external USB
> DVD drive on our GNU/Linux laptop. The solution there is to play with
> <CTRL><ALT><Fx> settings when the error appears, and keep trying to read
> the original DVD. Eventually, after some minutes of trying, one of the
> random combinations of <CTRL><ALT><Fx> together with a retry work. I
> documented this some time back in one of the milestone-release threads.

But this should not happen.

I think that if the problem can be reproduced with the factory dvd, it
should be reported both in bugzilla and in the factory mail list, so that
the devs that know the internals of the installation system say why this is
happening and really solve it.

We can only see the symptoms and play vodoo on it. :frowning:

Maybe something else, unknown, is triggering that absurd message, and
another message with the real problem should be printed instead. Then maybe
we would know what to do.

Similar to the recent problem with the download server: it fails, and you
get a message about IPv6 error, totally misleading. CD #1? There are no CDs!


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)