menu.lst script ?

Is this not working?

title openSUSE 11.2
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00FMA0_WD-WCAJ91558414-part6 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00FMA0_WD-WCAJ91558414-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Partially. It starts to boot into openSUSE, then hangs after the Starting HAL daemon…DONE point. So some success but incomplete.:frowning:

Yes…it seems to understand and locate part6. Also tried with sda6 and hda6 but the best results were with part6. :expressionless:

It doesn’t sound like the menu is incorrect, rather that you have damaged your system or corrupted it somehow. If you installed SUSE with a DVD you can use it to help you repair the install.
Have you changed anything in your hardware setup since SUSE was installed? You could pickup the failsafe arguments from the SUSE menu and add them in, see if it will bot then.

This is openSUSE-LXDE-11.2. It is a live CD. I’m not so sure that anything on the drive is damaged. The other OS’s all boot just fine. Someone earlier in this thread suggested an incompatability between GRUB 2 which CRUNCHBANG uses and GRUB 1 which openSUSE uses. I’m still hopeful a solution will be found.rotfl!

Crunchbang uses GRUB 1. The format of the GRUB 2 menu file is nothing like what you have posted.

Well that’s good news. one less thing to fret about.

HAL doesn’t sound like a GRUB issue, but perhaps a missing kernel parameter. Are you able to use the failsafe entry to boot? Do you have a failsafe stanza for openSUSE in your Crunchbang menu.lst?

I eliminated that failsafe stanza in the section option of the bootloader options during installation. I will copy it and enter it into the /boot/grub/menu.lst. stay tuned.:\

There is an easy way to find the info. Go to the SUSE partition and to /boot/grub/menu.lst

The info you need will be there

Since I did not load grub during the installation, there is no /boot/grub/menu.lst in openSUSE partition. Thanks though, hey if you like maybe you could post that info and I’ll copy it from there.

Are you just telling me that, or did you actually look?

I find your skepticism a bit annoying. Yes, of course I looked.

Whatever…
The failsafe arguments are:

apm=off noresume edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 x11failsafe

I wonder where Crunchbang got this from:

title openSUSE 11.2
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00FMA0_WD-WCAJ91558414-part6 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD800JB-00FMA0_WD-WCAJ91558414-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd

have a trust issue do we ?:wink:
that was gleaned from the installation process. when asked to make changes before finalization, I went into booting; clicked other; scrolled to /boot/grub/menu.lst; and found the entry there. I then copied it and added it to crunchbang’s menu.lst. satisfied ?

Sorry but you are just not making any sense to me. And it’s not a matter of trust. How am I supposed to know what level you are at. By the content of this thread (without prejudice), I would say beginner.

I tried the failsafe parameters as suggested…still no joy.

Did you try running sudo update-grub in crunchbang?

Another rabbit trail.
The problem may be the HAL daemon. a cursory search yeilded many issues with the HAL daemon and SUSE. will explore this further.

So you are actually getting a boot startup it then just dies?

Did you try to boot to command line?