I had not used MediaTomb on Suse 11.3 in a while and today when I went to fire it up I found that an upgrade of libavformat.so.52 (packman) at some point seems to have broken it.
Here is what I experienced and how I resolved it. Perhaps it may help others:
me@mine:~> mediatomb &  18901 me@mine:~> mediatomb: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libavformat.so.52: undefined symbol: ff_log_missing_feature
Well that sucks. So what is this anyway . . .
me@mine:~> ls -ld /usr/lib/libavformat.so.52 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2009-09-11 18:23 /usr/lib/libavformat.so.52 -> libavformat.so.52.31.
I decided to try a newer build - only one I could find was a Fedora one - let’s see if it works . . .
wget ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/atrpms.net/f13-i386/atrpms/stable/libavformat52-0.6-35.fc13.i686.rpm rpm -Uvh /home/paracelsus/libavformat52-0.6-35.fc13.i686.rpm
After this MediaTomb does not complain about the missing symbol in libavformat and start up fine. A bit lazy perhaps, but it got the job done.