I installed 11.0 recently as a clean install, and tried to use it to listen to an online program while I did some other work on the computer last night. I had firefox 3 up as the browser, and had previously used the one click restricted format installer from the opensuse-community.
When I clicked on the icon on the webpage, a player won’t start to play the windows media player selection. I looked back at the one click install and wasn’t sure if it actually linked anything to a particular player like in 10.3. I then set a preference for mms protocol in firefox as follows:
- Go to about:config
- Right click and select New>Boolean
- Enter “network.protocol-handler.external.mms” without quotes, and clicked ok.
4.I selected true for the value, and clicked ok.
- I right clicked again, and selected New>string
- I entered “network.protocol-handler.app.mms” and clicked ok
- I found “network.protocol-handler.app.mms” in the list and right clicked on it.
- I selected New>String
- In the box I typed /opt/kde3/bin/kaffeine and clicked ok
When I click on the icon on the web page to start the media player for windows player, nothing happens. If I click on the icon to start the same media with real player, nothing happens. I tried it on another website, and had the same result.
I opened konqueror to /opt/kde3/bin/ and clicked on the kaffeine gear, and the program opens. I can open kaffeine from the application menu as well. Once kaffeine is open, I can copy and paste the url from the website media that I want to hear to kaffeine, and it will play the media.
Seems like a problem with something in firefox, anybody have any ideas how to get this working normally?