Massive delete

Hello,

is there any risk in deleting 20 000 files in one go? 100 MB (firefox cache entries)
Suse 42.3, ext2.

Thanks for a comment,
Ake

No, there shouldn’t be.

Aside from that: Why ext2?
And: Are you aware that 42.3 is way past its EOL ?

That is when you realy remove those files. Not, as many desktop file managers do, by transferring them to a Dustbin. First because you then may have a performace penalty by the transfer and second because they still wil be there (until you emtpy the dustbin).

And yes,
When you mean openSUSE 42.3 with “Suse 42.3”, it is old, but it will do such basic removals the same way as Unix/Linux does already for >40 years.
Aand are you sure the file system is ext2? In the ext series , ext4 is already there for many, many years. Not that it matters, on every Linux file system your action will do the same.

As mentioned,
Can depend on how you delete.

Myself, I would highly recommend bypassing the Desktop trash bin to minimize complexity.
Deleting from the command line is immediate and without recourse (unless you want to try to use forensics tools).
As long as you don’t delete anything essential, there should not be any meaningful risk.

That said,
as also mentioned, continuing to use a version past EOL like 42.3 is not only risky (no supported way to easily recover if <anything>, <ever> goes wrogn), it’s lacking all the security and other updates which hwave been released for at least the last year and a half or so… You will be subject to possible compromises of all sorts… drive-bys if you’re exposed to the Internet, applications, all the recent side-loading attacks, more.

An upgrade to 15.1 is still possible with minimal risk and relatively easy… which won’t always be the case moving forward.
This is something you really want to do sooner than later (upgrade to a supported version).

TSU

@akeblomberg:

They’re cache files – so long as the “owner” of the cache – in this case Firefox – ain’t running, there won’t be any side effects if you remove the cache files.

• But, for the case of Firefox, I would advise that, you first use the Firefox “Preferences” to empty Firefox’s cache.
  1. Click the menu button and select Preferences.
  2. Select the Privacy & Security panel.
  3. In the Cookies and Site Data section, click Clear Data…

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache&gt;
[HR][/HR]BTW, I suggest that, you use the CLI command “rm” to remove large numbers of files – GUI File Managers sometimes fail to behave as expected when doing things with large numbers of files …