Mass Effect 2 README File Included in Downloaded DVD Image?

I’m an 11.4 x64 user. I have dual boot setup with Windows 7. I downloaded the ISO DVD image directly from the website this morning, burned the DVD and proceeded to upgrade. I ran into all kinds of issues with the process stalling/hanging. Thinking that maybe something was wrong with DVD, I booted to Windows. When I examined the DVD contents in Windows a saw a file named README, with an unspecified file type. When I opened it, it turned out to be a start page for Mass Effect 2. Can anyone give me some insight as to what is going on here?

Check the check sums first on the download (instructions on the download page) and second on the DVD there is an option to check the media.

I assume you are upgrading to 12.1 but you did not say.

Also may help if you mention the hardware you have.

Yeah, I’m trying to upgrade to 12.1. Judging from the file icons, there are 3 Mass Effect 2 files on the DVD.

I see the checksums and downloaded one of the asc files. Now what?

I see no such file in my 12.1 .iso’s

I wonder what happened? Looking at the icons, there are 3 Mass Effect 2 files on the DVD.

Could the file server have been hacked and a counterfeit ISO file been uploaded?

Is this the file you are downloading
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/12.1/iso/openSUSE-12.1-DVD-x86_64.iso

Yes. I am currently downloading a fresh copy.

I usually use torrents or firefox addon down them all
Then just right click the downloaded .iso > open with k3b
k3b will load it and check the md5sum, if it’d correct you can then burn it with k3b

The top dir for the iso is here Index of /distribution/12.1/iso
the md5 is

4cfe8229111ef723ae7aa541fd2c87b7 openSUSE-12.1-DVD-x86_64.iso

The advantage of torrents, is if the md5 doesn’t check good, you just get the torrent client to re-check the pieces

Well, right now my Linux distro won’t boot due to the botched upgrade/install. So I’m downloading and burning the DVD with Windows 7.

Check the info on this page
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/new-user-how-faq-read-only/424611-new-users-opensuse-pre-install-general-please-read.html#post2058885

how do i use the md5deep utility? do i just execute the 64 bit version and then type md5deep path\filename and hit enter, or what?

OK. Couldn’t figure out md5deep. However, I did a search and found a very nice, easy to use utility called WinMD5Free. Used it to check the iso I just downloaded and it matches the checksum value you posted. However, the file I downloaded this morning, which includes the README file that is actually some kind of Mass Effect 2 start page, checks out with the exact same checksum!

What about the new iso, does it have the spurious file
Take a screen of it in the file manager and of the open file
paste it here SUSE Paste

Same thing. Apparently someone included Windows program files in the ISO. In Windows 7, if i insert the burned DVD into the drive I get this popup SUSE Paste. I was not aware that there was an openSUSE 12.2 Windows installer.

When I browse the disk contents in Windows 7 this is what I see: SUSE Paste
Note the read arrows pointing to the Mass Effect 2 files.

If I open the README file, this is what I get complete with dramatic music: SUSE Paste

Well, it looks like something is going on with my system. I just burned a DVD in Windows from an old iso I had for 11.4 and the same Mass Effect 2 files are on the disk! What is really strange is that the first DVD I burned for 12.1 that I burned in Linux had these same files. At this point, I’m not sure what to think. Anyone?

Am 01.04.2012 18:16, schrieb dontosaw:
>
> Well, it looks like something is going on with my system. I just burned
> a DVD in Windows from an old iso I had for 11.4 and the same Mass Effect
> 2 files are on the disk! What is really strange is that the first DVD I
> burned for 12.1 that I burned in Linux had these same files. At this
> point, I’m not sure what to think. Anyone?
>
>
Your Windows is badly configured, you obviously assigned certain file
types to be treated as what you call “Mass effect” files. That has
nothing to do with what the files actually are.
Right click on one of the “Mass Effect” files and select “Open with” and
choose the editor (notepad) to see whats inside, I bet these are just
simple text files (since you mentioned README in one of your earlier
posts) which you assigned wrongly in your system settings to an
arbitrary program.

PC: oS 11.4 x86_64 | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.6.0 |
GeForce GT 420
Eee PC 1201n: oS 12.1 x86_64 | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | 3GB | KDE 4.8.1
| nVidia ION
eCAFE 800: oS 12.1 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10 |
xf86-video-geode

I agree with Martin
Just a matter of understanding

Yes, you are correct. I was just going to post what I had learned. The README file is a text file with information about GPL, README beta, development, sources, production etc. I uninstalled Mass Effect 2, which I didn’t even remember I had, and rebooted and the Mass Effect 2 icons are gone from the files on the DVD. Also, attempting to open the README file brings up the dialog to choose a program instead of opening it with Mass Effect 2. All this stems from the fact that Linux does not always use the file extensions Windows needs to properly assign programs to files and the files in question have no extensions. I always include the .txt extension when I create a text file in Linux to avoid this issue.

Thanks for the help and insight guys!