Mark thread as solved

It will be a good idea if we could edit our topic subject like other forums and put solved in it. many people are lazy and probably won’t do it but there is a “SOLVED” tool in Thread tools in LQ [linuxquestions.org] forum which is very helpful. That way people trying to help out others can save time not going through every topic and finding out who needs help.
Just my 2cents.

Regards

Thanks for the suggestion. We have had many healthy debates about implementing this.

Suggestions were to allow original poster (user-a) to change to “SOLVED” or allowing moderators to change to “SOLVED”.

The problem was there were techincal problems (edit duration/NNTP impact). Plus we could NOT come up with a guideline that would work without upsetting users. If we could confine a thread to only one user’s problem, then it would be workable, but what happens very often is:

a. user-a who starts the thread, keeps asking question after question, often in an unrelated area such that even though the original question is solved, user-a is never happy with the answer and hence would get upset if a moderator were to type “SOLVED” in the thread. Thus many threads would never be closed, as the moderator’s would not want to close a thread where the original poster was still not happy to close it.

b. user-b jumps on to user-a’s thread and asks questions. But user-a’s problem is solved. However if we put “SOLVED” on user-a’s thread, then user-b gets upset because their problem is not solved. And user-b thinks they have almost the same problem, and refuse to start another thread.

c. user-c jumps on user-a’s SOLVED thread, and claim’s its not solved and clammers for the thread to be re-opened and marked “NOT-SOLVED” (or “SOLVED” removed). But user-a claims the problem IS solved and claim’s user-c is wrong, claim’s user-c has a different problem, and claims user-c is pushing FUD. So user-a and user-c are in disagreement and we have an unhappy user-c.

d. the moderator’s are too busy to police every thread to see if a satisfactory technical solution was reached. But its against forum policy for edits after 10 minutes (for a number of good reasons - one reason being user’s in an emotional state have been known to completely delete very useful how-to and other guides they have created, if they have such edit permissions) and hence we can not give user-a edit permissions for the Title.

e. when the thread is marked “SOLVED” it immedately breaks the thread for NNTP users, who are an important part of our community.

I think there are other reason’s as well, but that is some of the considerations we made, and why in the end we decided not to implement this excellent, but sadly not easily workable, solution.

Thankyou for your interest.

oldcpu

I appreciate you taking the time explaining me the reasons. Thanks, I understand.:slight_smile:

Well, it works fine in Ubuntu Forums; I haven’t seen any complaints there so far.

openSUSE’s Forums seem very similar to Ubuntu’s. While I understand your supposed reasons, it is highly encouraged in Ubuntu Forums to “Mark Thread As Solved”.

Perhaps they don’t use NNTP? Or if they do, they might have a different mindset.

Eh, it’s just an annoyance when you’re problem is solved and people keep giving you suggestions - EVEN WHEN YOU’VE SAID THAT YOU DON’T NEED ANY MORE HELP!
(Trust me, that’s happened to me before on other forums.)

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 04:26:01 +0000, SPARTAN-118 wrote:

> Well, it works fine in ‘Ubuntu Forums’ (http://ubuntuforums.org); I
> haven’t seen any complaints there so far.
>
> openSUSE’s Forums seem very similar to Ubuntu’s. While I understand your
> supposed reasons, it is highly -encouraged- in Ubuntu Forums to “Mark
> Thread As Solved”.
>
> Perhaps they don’t use NNTP? Or if they do, they might have a different
> mindset.

They probably don’t.

> Eh, it’s just an annoyance when you’re problem is solved and people
> keep giving you suggestions - EVEN WHEN YOU’VE SAID THAT YOU DON’T NEED
> ANY MORE HELP!

> (Trust me, that’s happened to me before on other forums.)

You can always unsub from the thread (if you’re subed to it, that is).

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Moderator

It is a good idea, but the reasons for not implementing it make more sense. Threads do seem to get derailed more often than not if they go on for long.

No… They really don’t. :wink:

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:16:01 +0000, harold01 wrote:

> Threads do seem to get derailed more often than not if they go on for
> long.

That isn’t necessarily a problem - some of the best troubleshooting I’ve
seen has come from tangential discussion - even to a problem that’s
already been solved. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson

I agree. I did not mean to imply that such was bad, but it does add to the argument against marking a thread [solved].

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 04:56:01 +0000, harold01 wrote:

> I agree. I did not mean to imply that such was bad,

Oh, no, I didn’t take it that way. :slight_smile:

Jim

Jim Henderson

Having used several distro forums this year, I’ll vote for

1. marking the threads solved somehow
  2. having a one or two click method to find unanswered posts
  3. having a one or two click method to finding one’s own posts

As for all the arguments (read this in the formal definition of logic and reasoning, not anger) against marking a thread solved, EXCEPT for the NNTP part: they are all subjective. I would say, judging from other distro forums, that a larger majority of users would be better served by initiating the 3 changes I listed. Some will be upset for one reason or another, but this is always true, regardless of technique, yes?

So, does this mean it is now my responsibility to investigate whether other forums use NNTP, with a method of marking threads solved? And reporting same back here? I’d have to find out what NNTP IS first! (Ignorant me.) I’m guessing it has to do with newsgroups. Or will someone out there already know this answer? (I hope! Time is short.)

Subjective? Of course. The other point of view is also subjective.

My experience with other forums, is not all forums agree on the “SOLVED” marking. I dispute the view that a larger majority would be better served

… In truth, I don’t think anyone knows what is “better served” , and all we have here are subjective views.

As for NNTP, you can read up on it here: Network News Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In essence it gives users who prefer to use news reader or email style programs, the opportunity to access and participate in the forum content via their preferred interface.

It also became very apparent in the first few months of this new merged forum of ours being created, as to how very and extremely disruptive it was when threads were renamed. Very disruptive. Adding “SOLVED” would bring back that disruption. While I am not a fan of NNTP I do recognize there are users, some of whom are major contributors to our forum, who use the NNTP interface exclusively, and they might not contribute if we drop that interface.

I don’t believe I’ve ever used NNTP… I’ve just recently used the RSS functions on the sites I go to, and until recently I never used a mail program (had to switch to GMail for that, Hotmail charges you… greedy-).

So, yeah, my vote is just supply an option in Thread Tools to “Mark Thread As Solved”, perhaps making it so that you have to go to your Control Panel in order to enable it. And what’s this about renaming threads? I don’t believe you can even do that in Ubuntu Forums… I can see how it would cause confusion (looking for a thread that you’ve posted in but you can’t find it 'cause it’s no longer called the same thing - as well as screwing up Subscriptions). However, even adding [SOLVED] in the title?

I suppose that if a user is done with a thread, they should just unsubscribe, and leave it open for other users if one has a similar problem but the solution is not the same.

Okay, I yield. It’s obvious that I’m outnumbered in opinion, so I’ll just leave it at “we’re not going to include this feature”. :slight_smile:

we have a very good search tool here which is able to find the word
“solved” in the either the thread title alone, or in message text and
title.

i doubt that any of the folks now trying to change our way to be like
some other fora actually USED the search function prior to beginning a
new, but very repetitive thread…

had they, they would have known that the idea to mark threads as
solved has been fully discussed (the term “beating a dead horse”
springs to mind) and SOLVED.

see: http://forums.opensuse.org/search.php?searchid=1429089

no further discussion is needed, what is needed is for all the greatly
welcomed and appreciated new folks to use the search function readily
linkable from any forum page, or bookmark it now:
http://forums.opensuse.org/search.php

palladium

Good answer, rationally argued.

Thanks for the link to NNTP wiki - which leads me to my reaction:
:open_mouth: omg!!! News readers! I shoulda guessed! I haven’t used a newsreader in YEARS!!! Remember Gravity? I used to love that program. It filtered, it navigated, it was fast, and it was just plain great, 'cause it just plain worked. I didn’t realize anybody was still doing usenet at all! <<all walled away in my little corner of limited reality, eh? lol!>> I quit paying any attention to groups I used to attend, due to increasing amounts of trash and a decreasing need for the functionality. Lately, as I’ve been on forums a lot this year, I could definitely see why someone might want to use a good newsreader. You could quickly filter down to posts you might want to read, instead of slogging about.
Happy holidays!

spokesinger wrote:
> You could quickly filter down to
> posts you might want to read, instead of slogging about.

yes, using TBird for email, mail lists, newsgroups and this
forum…consistent interface and fast to find/read/answer or trash/keep…

palladium

Hmm… just might end up using Thunderbird, as KMail doesn’t seem to be getting all my emails correctly. (Followed a guide on how to use GMail and KMail together.)