Maintaining X configuration impossible with 11.3!

With the new xorg.conf.d and the removal of sax2, there is now no way to maintain an X configuration between reboots, or establish a valid one in some cases.

For example:

1. The monitor must be ON when the machine boots, or X defaults to an unknown monitor at the wrong resolution.
  2. It is now impossible to configure a trackball or other non-standard input device, even IF known-good configurations are available from previous OpenSuSE versions.

Solutions that do not work:

a) Copying the old xorg.conf - breaks X configuration for 11.3.
b) Copying the Input Device section to a new xorg.conf - no effect.
c) Creating a conf file in xorg.conf.d - no effect.

In the absence of a tool like sax2, there is a desperate need for a HowTo that describes a known process to:

> Determine the proper identity [to the system] of an X device;
> Create a configuration file that will be recognized by the system FOR that device;
> Convert configuration sections from previous xorg.conf files to valid formats for xorg.conf.d.

Hi
I just ran nvidia-settings here to create mine… all works fine for
me.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34-12-default
up 7 days 1:00, 2 users, load average: 0.24, 0.13, 0.10
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 256.44

omnitec wrote:
> With the new xorg.conf.d and the removal of sax2, there is now no way to
> maintain an X configuration between reboots, or establish a valid one in
> some cases.

i may be wrong, but my personal opinion is that your observations are
correct and two things should be done:

1. you should place a feature request for some way to establish a
    known working setup (as was had with a xorg.conf) via software–that
    feature request should be placed with https://features.opensuse.org/
    (but search there to see if maybe it is already asked for…if so, you
    may just need to VOTE for the feature and add your specific comments,
    like the monitor off and trackball problems)

2. someone who knows how to solve those problems manually needs to
    write that how to you mentioned to get us all down the road while the
    new feature is being worked.

i don’t know how, and i don’t have the problem–since you have the
problem, maybe you could google these fora and see if anyone has
encountered and solved the problems you mention) and then write a
proposed how-to and submit it to
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/unreviewed-how-faq/

ok?

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

> Hi
> I just ran nvidia-settings here to create mine… all works fine for
> me.

Unfortunately, video is the least of the problem - the fact that 11.3 seems to abandon ALL static X configuration without replacing sax2 functionality is very disturbing.

The bigger problem is mapping mouse buttons & scroll pretty much impossible with 11.3.

Hello omnitec,

I remember reading in these forums, during the 11.3 pre-release cycle, about someone getting sax2 to run on 11.3. My advice, assuming that you really need the tool, download the source rpm(s) from 11.2 repo and see if they will build.

If this is something beyond your skills or interests, let me know, I’ll see if I can build it for you.

IMO, removing sax2 without replacing the functionality was just one of MANY boneheaded decisions made prior to the 11.3 release. In many ways … this is the worst /suse/i release ever, except 11.0|11.1 was soooo much worse … :slight_smile:

On 2010-08-10 17:58, DenverD wrote:
> omnitec wrote:
>> With the new xorg.conf.d and the removal of sax2, there is now no way to
>> maintain an X configuration between reboots, or establish a valid one in
>> some cases.

> 2. someone who knows how to solve those problems manually needs to
> write that how to you mentioned to get us all down the road while the
> new feature is being worked.

There is a command switch to xorg that makes it write the xorg.conf it uses after autodetection. And
yes, the file is used.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

Thanks for the offer, but IIRC sax2 did not provide the functionality to actually configure a trackball in 11.1 - I had to create a custom section in xorg.conf.

It it truly a shame that Novell has dropped the ball BIGTIME here, … I have tried Xorg -configure to create an xorg.conf file, but there is such little information contained therein that it is useless.

Made a little progress with xinput -list, which will actually display the actual model detected, but there does not seem to be any way to link the name to a driver:

7145.049] (II) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
7145.049] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
7145.049] (EE) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)

The other other problem is that the docs are not specific as to what rules would actually apply for 11.3.

Has anyone actually gotten a trackball to work properly with 11.3?

Unforunately, Xorg -configure does not include any information for input devices.

I too was disappointed to see sax2 dropped , but IMHO it was the openSUSE community and not Novell that dropped the ball.

Novell/SuSE-GmbH advised during openSUSE-11.2 developement days that they were not going to keep on maintaining sax2, as they did NOT have the resources to do so. During the very start of openSUSE-11.3 development, Novell/SuSE-GmbH advised they would not maintain sax2, and unless someone from the openSUSE community took over the maintainence, it would be dropped (as they Novell/SuSE-GmbH could NOT address/fix the many open ARs on sax2). Novell/SuSE-GmbH stated they would support anyone who took over the maintenance.

So volunteers were asked for from the community.

None came.

The openSUSE community was willing to complain, but no one with programming/graphic experience would contribute. Ergo - end of sax2.

Further to my post above, I do not think sax2 offers any magical solution. Before being discontinued, maintenance of it basically stopped because the resources were not there to maintain it.

Still, it is available in the build service, and my now having seen a number of the users complaining about its demise, I ask myself, have any of those complaining installed the version on the build service, to prove or disprove their views that sax2 would provide the help they think it would ? I don’t think it will work all that great (as I know sax2 in its last support incarnation had problems) but it IS available on the build service for 11.3.

For example:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/flacco/openSUSE_11.3/

Again, I do NOT think sax2 will help, but posts about it being dropped are starting to grate a bit on me, when I see no evidence of:
(1) anyone volunteer to maintain, and
(2) anyone trying the version that is packaged on a home directory on the build service.

On 2010-08-11 22:36, oldcpu wrote:

> --------------------
> Again, I do NOT think sax2 will help, but posts about it being dropped
> are starting to grate a bit on me, when I see no evidence of:
> (1) anyone volunteer to maintain, and

The people that can, and know enough, know that it is useless and/or daunting. >:-)

> (2) anyone trying the version that is packaged on a home directory on
> the build service.

The people that want it, do not know that it is there :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

sax2 is also available on the openSUSE-11.3 DVD. I see sax2-8.1-597.2-x86_64.rpm on my DVD

To install it from the command line:

zypper in sax2

I just checked the OSS and Non-OSS repository for 11.3 and it is not in the repositories of 11.3.

The DVD where you noted sax2, this was the 11.3 GM version and not the 11.2 DVD (nor the 11.3 early milestone version) you were looking at ? I think sax2 was dropped around 11.3 milestone4 or so.

I just checked the 32-bit DVD, and I do NOT see sax2 on it. In what directory on the 64-bit DVD did you see sax2 ?

I’m not sure how relevant this Ubuntu forum solution might be to your specific trackball problem in openSUSE 11.3 but it looks at least worth reading:

[SOLVED] Configuring trackball/mouse buttons - Ubuntu Forums]([SOLVED] Configuring trackball/mouse buttons)

Terry.

On 2010-08-12 08:06, oldcpu wrote:
>
> striven;2205177 Wrote:
>> sax2 is also available on the openSUSE-11.3 DVD. I see
>> sax2-8.1-597.2-x86_64.rpm on my DVD
> I just checked the 32-bit DVD, and I do NOT see sax2 on it. In what
> directory on the 64-bit DVD did you see sax2 ?

The toolbox for sax is somewhere, yes. Not the app itself, AFAIK.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.