LXDE opinions

Hello folks!!

I’m interested in your opinion on LXDE distro.
Please tell me your experiences, impressions and advices on it!

Thanks

For me,it is like Gnome, I have not experience on it because I work with KDE, When I will try with it, I I’ll give you my impressions.

I have the openSUSE-11.3 LXDE running on a 32-bit AMD Athlon-1100 w/1GB (MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard) w/AGP nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics [age ~10 years]. I also have openSUSE-11.4 M5 LXDE running on same PC.

Performance, compared to what I obtained with Gnome and KDE on same PC is better (more responsive) on an older PC with less RAM. Desktop starts faster. Applications start faster. I also note openSUSE-11.4 M5 LXDE is faster than openSUSE-11.3 LXDE on same PC.

I like the simplicity of the desktop. Possibly the only feature I am missing is the capability to drag icons on to the desktop, and I am told that is coming in a future LXDE release with updates to PCManFM.

Because of the availability of the large openSUSE distribution repositories, one can pretty much do the same in applications with LXDE on openSUSE as one can do with Xfce, Gnome, and KDE.

I recommend it as a distro for users with older PCs with no hesitation (other than perhaps a warning that they can not drag icons to the desktop).

Hi all.

Me got a problem… how to project the screen to LCD Projector on LXDE… coz in KDE or GNOME got no problem at all…

Thanks mate.

Did you try running: xrandr ?

Did you try running: lxrandr ?

Web site for lxrandr: LXRandR - LXDE.org

Pardon me if this out of the topic.
I just want to say that the xfce 4.8 now supports dragging icons to the desktop.

Thats great to read.

A really neat thing about the LXDE and Xfce communities, is the developers are helping each other out. So we don’t see between LXDE and Xfce the animosity that often exists between Gnome and KDE users. Its possible (for all I know - which I don’t) that both Xfce and LXDE developer communities worked together on this “drag icons to the desktop” issue.

I note the LXDE liveCD’s can be found here:
Index of /repositories/X11:/lxde/images/iso

and the Xfce liveCDs can be found here:
Index of /repositories/X11:/xfce/images/iso

I find the look/feel of LXDE vs XFce significantly different. Xfce is a significant departure (IMHO) from the more traditional look/feel present in Gnome, KDE and LXDE. Thats neither good nor bad, … its just different.

I’m a KDE user who actually prefers the more ‘simplistic’ look of Gnome (albeit that is a woefully inadequate description) and hence I liked the basic setup of LXDE when it is first installed. These sort of statements (such as mine) are massively subjective where everyone hopefully has their own different viewpoint.

thanks for your answers!!

I think I’ll try both lxde and xfce as soon as possible.

To add to my previous post
xfwm4 the window manager of the soon to be released xfce 4.8 has a better compositing than xfce 4.6. Xfce 4.8 pre3 release is now out and probably the final version will be out before the end of January. If you like a fast simple and a bit fancy one, maybe you can try xfce and for a fast, neat and simple lxde. Try both and see.

Another neat liveCD being just started, with an interface very diffierent from Gnome, KDE and LXDE is Enlightenment. There is a thread here about it: Enlightenment Desktop Discussion At this stage, I do not know what the long term committment is of the user who has created that liveCD with Enlightement.

Having typed the above, back to the thread subject, I am still quite enthused about using LXDE for older PCs. Its an interface while very simple, also has a ‘famliliar feel’ to it, and subjectively it makes the first few minutes of use a bit less intimidating. I created in a couple of intro video for an openSUSE-11.3 milestone release, introducing LXDE. One with music in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQtkX1kq7b0) and one without music in the background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrpYWKa2dKc) …

After about something like 5000 hits on the video with the background music, I received an email (or youtube PM) from youtube asking if I wanted to make money off the video by allowing them to put advertisements on the page. I declined, as to me that was not what my video was ‘about’ and I did not want to go down that commercial path. The money would have been pennies and my involvement in Linux is not a monetary one.

I have LXDE on a 10 years old laptop installed together with openSuse 11.3. It’s ok. The main reason to change from XFCE was the possibility of PCManFM to connect to network shares. XFCE didn’t it.

But I’m confused, that I’m not able to change anything (background picture, personalised menu etc.) - it’s just the standard installation.

Back ground pictures can be changed. Thats one of the 1st things I did. There is a bug there that requries an update. See post#3 with the solution I applied: Opensuse 11.3 LXDE Keeps Changing My Wallpaper Back To Default

Yesterday I installed LXDE in my old laptop! It is like kde for me!!!

I tried LXDE and it is so fast on my old desktop (512MB RAM, Pentium 4 2.00GHz, openSUSE 11.3)

Hi all…

Got a problem with internal speaker and Headphone Jack… Usually when we plug our earphone the speaker automatically OFF… but this thing didn’t happen in LXDE mode… what should I do…

One more thing, how to project my screen via LCD Projector using LXDE …:wink:

Thanks, it’s running now.

What do you mean by " this thing didn’t happen in LXDE mode" ??? I’ve never heard of LXDE mode. What is that ? Also, what mode does it happen in ?

Run the program ‘lxrandr’.

Sorry oldcpu, typo error… should be KDE or GNOME… sorry again…

Ok I’ll try it… thanks mate.

It is very strange that you would encounter such behaviour unique to LXDE. LXDE should be very similar to Gnome in terms of audio behaviour.

I recommend if you have a Gnome and an LXDE dual boot (or a Gnome liveCD) that you run the following diagnostic script (with your PC connected to the internet):

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh  

and post here the output URL/website address of the scripts output provided in both cases (ie from Gnome, and also from LXDE) so we can understand why they give different behaviour.

Also, provide the output (for each case … ie Gnome and again for LXDE ) of:

rpm -qa '*alsa*'
rpm -q libasound2
rpm -qa '*pulse*'

My guess is you installed something different on your Gnome/KDE than what you installed on your LXDE and that different install is the reason for such behaviour. But I would need to see the output of the above to know for certain.

I’ve had consistently better luck establishing wireless connectivity on it than with any other desktop I’ve tried (Gnome, KDE, XFCE). And on a 5-7 year old workstation with 2.8 CPU, 2 GB RAM it flies. Using primarily for music apps; including Audacity, Aqualung, Banshee and so on. On a 10 year Sony VAIO with 512 MB it is also still usable (wireless on this one was a real problem until LXDE). For my wired workstation I still prefer KDE.