lvm encrypted installation never succeeds

I’ve tried several times both with recommended setups and manual lvm setups on new opensuse TW installation, but they all fail with the boot error after “successful installation”: systemd.cryptsetup.service not found (not sure it’s the exact message) before letting me to give password.

With both of my lvm encrypted system broken down recently, I suspect that there are some serious bugs with lvm encryption in openSUSE TW atm.

“Fail” implies you cannot boot, but then you say “give password” so I take it you **can **boot?

I just did quick test install using current TW in legacy BIOS mode based on default suggestion (except separate home and snapshots), using text mode server to speed things up. I do not observe any error message during boot, I’m requested passphrase as I expect. So it appears to work at least under some conditions. Also TW does undergoes automated boot tests, and I think they include installation on encrypted container. So you really need to gather and provide more details so someone can reproduce your issue.

It can finish installation fine. It just can’t boot. But I am only using EFI version.

The suggested lvm luks partitioning is like this:
sda:
sda1: 400MB type: FAT mount at /boot/efi
sda2: 400MB type: ext4 mount at /boot
sda3: 100GB type:linux lvm encrypted (not mounted)

pv uses sda3 vg:system
logical volume: dev/system/root ext4 mount at /
logical volume: dev/system/home ext4 mount at /home

I also manually copied this and tried myself (to also learn how lvm works)

So far I’ve tried a few times each both on virutalbox, and an external hard drive.
On virtualbox when it reboots after installation it goes to a black screen.
On the hard drive it boots to the error I posted above. No chance to input the encryption password.

I tried normal partitioning without lvm then it boots fine. Don’t know what I did wrong or lvm is broken atm.

Well, I tested EFI install and it can boot. So it is not universally broken as I already said.

It has been mostly working okay for me.

For a while, plymouth was not properly prompting for encryption key. I had to change “splash=silent” to “nosplash” on the grub boot command line to work around that. But it seems to be working again now.

Yes, I have yet to learn from your other post and fixed the plymouth problem but somehow boot still fails afterwards with lvm pvscan error with one system. The other system just hangs after inputting encryption password.