LVM checkbox during installation

Can someone give me some background about the LVM-based vs LVM based installation checkboxes that come up during installation? I looked up logical volume manager http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_Volume_Manager_(Linux) and at other places, but haven’t got an adequate explanation yet. Can I add lvm later, if I want to, or do I have to do it at installation?

Also Installation/11.1 DVD Install - openSUSE sshows a “new user” screen that asks for user full name and password, but I don’t remember getting this screen during any of my numerous aborted installations

See if you really need LVM or not. If you are not in need of that, go with a normal installation.
openSUSE installation will create at least one user login apart from the root login. You may create more user logins if more people want to use that machine without interfering with the work of others. For security reasons, it is better to login as a user rather than using root login. Root login should be used only for system administrative purposes.

I can attest to that…years ago I started with Mandrake 7.1. At that time I has an account which was all powerful. A few misplaced keystrokes later and i was starting from scratch! :slight_smile:

Regards,
Kimo9909

I am going to leave the LVM box unchecked. The reason I started re-thinking that choice was that I noticed that Fedora did an lvm-based installation by default. However I am still planning to leave the lvm box unchecked.

LVM allows you to combine several physical partitions into a logical partition. It could be used to make several disk into one larger “disk”. It is also useful if you expect that you might want to extend the amount of storage later by adding more disks without having to adjust directories or mount points. This would be useful for enterprise installs.

However it can also make your system more brittle because you need to know what to do if one element fails. Ideally each element should be RAID so that you can keep it going. If you are the usual home user who copies everything to a new computer every few years or so, LVM’s features might not compensate for the added complexity. Fedora uses LVM by default because that’s what its older sibiling, RHEL does, and also LVM was developed by RedHat and contributed to the Linux base.