LVM Based Install - cannot create volume group system

Hi all, I am relatively new to linux and I am hoping someone can help me out :slight_smile:

I have a 250GB HDD, with Win7 installed on a 40GB partition, the rest of the HDD is currently “unallocated” as I intend to install openSUSE here. My question is this: how can I install openSUSE 12.1 using the “Create LVM Based Proposal” option?

If I try to enable this option, the partition manager would only display the line “Create volume group system (0B) from” in red, with nothing else underneath. However, if I uncheck the LVM option, the installer will propose the usual set of partitions, with 2GB swap, 20GB for /, and the rest for home.

I am using the 32-bit Live CD KDE for openSUSE 12.1.

Thanks

I can only go by my experience.

I installed 11.4 with an encrypted LVM setup. I already had a 100M partition for “/boot”, a 20G partition for WinXP, a 1G NTFS logical partition for data sharing between Windows and linux, and a couple of linux partitions. It proposed a crazy setup.

I deleted everything except the 100M (for “/boot” the WinXP partition and the 1G data partition. Then I tried again. That time, it proposed to put the rest of the disk in the LVM. I went with that, and have been fine with it.

Later, I wanted to do the same on another computer, but I didn’t want to put all of the disk (except Windows) into the LVM. I already had a 100M partition for “/boot”. I deleted other linux partition, and created a 110G partition with type code 8e (I did that with “fdisk”). Then I tried to install. The installer would have nothing to do with it, and wanted something crazy.

I then booted the live KDE system from CD, got into Yast, and into the Yast partitioner. With that, I was able to setup my 110G partition as an encrypted LVM, and divide it into root, swap and /home logical volumes. That is to say, I created the logical volumes and gave them suitable names.

Now back to the install, I chose the “create partitions” option (if I recall), and then chose expert mode. I was able to tell it to install into the LVM as desired.

From my experience, the installer has only limited capability for setting up an LVM, but is pretty capable of using an LVM that already exists.

Note that you will probably need a separate “/boot” to install in an LVM, with “/boot” outside the LVM.

I hope that helps.

After a few days of experimenting, I have to agree with you. I could not get the installer to set up an LVM, but I was able to work around the issue by creating an extended partition manually, and then letting the installer propose an LVM set-up on top of it.

Thanks for sharing your insight.