Low resolution text console in opensuse 12.2

First off: I’ve seen another post with a similar problem, but the solution didn’t work for me.

When I set up opensuse 12.1, I automagically got a high res text console. I think it wasn’t the full resolution of my display (1600x900) but still pretty good.

Now I installed 12.2 in parallel and have got a very low res grub2 boot screen further cropped by a useless window that is unscrollable although displaying a scrollbar.
Boot messages of linux are also low res and nearly impossible to read (fast scrolling out of the screen and most are wrapped).

Now I booted into grub2, switched to the grub2 console and entered vbeinfo.
One of the higher res lines that did not immediately scroll out of the micro window was 1280x800x32.
So I changed in /etc/default/grub GRUB_GFXMODE from auto to 1280x800x32 and executed grub2-mkconfig

Same old micro grub window, same low res text console.

What else could I try? I want to be able to read my boot messages and have a decent text console to work with…

I found my old suse 12.1 kernel commandline included vga=0x317.
Adding this to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and executing grub2-mkconfig again didn’t change it: still low res

Btw. this is on a Lenovo T510i notebook with nvidia card NVS 3100M. I switched from the provided driver to nvidias binary driver 304.43 but still no change.

Did you try installing 12.2 by selecting Legacy Grub?

Searching around, I found this blog

GRUB 2, graphical boot tips to set the desired VGA console mode. - iNT(D)Blog

which suggests that the GFXPAYLOAD variable may come into play in /etc/default/grub. The /etc/grub.d/10_liunx script actually reads GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX, so maybe this will work

GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x800x32
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

So, try giving that a go…

Will try this payload thingy (need to see what the heck a gfxpayload is :slight_smile: ) before going back to V1

I don’t know what caused this, but I removed the vga= from the kernel command line to cleanup the failed test and now I have a 1280x800x32 grub menu and linux text console.

No fiddling with payload was necessary, so I leave it at that.

Still don’t understand the designer of the opensuse grub console:
It is not scrollable as far as i can tell, so why further crop it with a big frame?
And then the grey letters on the light green background is hardly readable.

So now I’ll dive into changing the background and size of the grub console.

Other than that I have no issues left regarding my 12.1 - 12.2 transition :slight_smile: