Low power hardware and linux

when you install SUSE 11 in the installer there is a seting after software where it will tell you the run level it runes at by default
set it to init 3 thuse when you use it as a server it wont be using the desktop

however all the config tools are on the desktop
so how do you get there eh ?
type init 5 after logging on as root
use yast to configure all your stuff
then reboot
you will start at run level init 3 bingo no desktop and no overhead

ps suse needs just about 5 gigs to install so …
40 gb is a linux paradise and adding a new harddisk later will mean loads of space for your server

ps i run SUSE 11 on a durron 1ghz ( thats a cheaper amd from the past ) and it works fine with a good graphics card download the drivers for it and install them at init 3
init 5 will prevent the nvidia drivers from installing

Not so; there are command line tools for pretty much everything; for example, zypper will do the software downloads; SaX2 is CLI driven.

Nearly all the GUI config tools are shells which simply call the relevant CLI tool.

so that it wont use the desktop
and yes cli but why when desktop is so good for it ?

Do I understand correctly that your goal is to have a machine running as a server with minimal power consumption? If so, then there’s a lot more you can do to get power use down. Check out the PowerTop program at LessWatts.org - Saving Power on Intel systems with Linux.

Some suggestions from my personal experimenting. (Not carved in stone - I’m always open to suggestions for improvement.)

Instead of command line, use a lightweight window manager like FVWM. You get most of the function of e.g. gnome without much overhead. Use the X timeout mechanism to put the display in power saving mode, then turn the display off if you aren’t going be using the machine.

NVidia cards can be real power hogs. If your machine has an graphics chip on the motherboard (like the Intel GMA), and you don’t need the high-powered graphics, pull the NVidia card out.

Recompile the kernel with powersaving options, tickless idle, minimal drivers, etc.

Use a laptop machine instead: I have my T61 Thinkpad using under 15 watts when it’s idle.

James, how did you measure that 15w? Which software are you using?
Thanks

Heh heh, you need hardware for this kind of thing. Something like this:

CHOICE - Review: Multifunction power meter

I recommend something like this for people who really want to know what is drawing power in your home. You’ll be shocked by some of the results you get. For example the power supplies of some desktops consume as much as 20W in standby. TVs and other entertainment equipment are also power leeches.

In case you think 20W is nothing, if you crunch the figures, it’s about 30AUD per year of electricity if left on all the time. You might want to turn it off at the power point if you only use that desktop rarely.

If you don’t need that quad core speed daemon CPU, you might want to think thrice about substituting it with a more power economical CPU. Over a few years the power savings come up to quite a bit.

And don’t think that old hardware is necessary cheaper to run. You will find that old systems can draw almost as much power and are slower to use. But don’t go tell your partner that this is an excuse to go upgrade. Building a new system also costs energy in manufacturing the hardware.

Ah, the complications of trying to be green. Much easier to just make the screen green, use SUSE. :slight_smile:

Actually I think the OP meant older/slower computers when he wrote low-powered, but as long as we are discussing low power-consumption and slower computers…