Lots of issues with openSUSE 12.1 on laptop

Hi,

I wanted to give the new oensuse a try on my laptop but I run into several issues and don’t seem to find a solution. The first thing is the Desktop Effects in Gnome via Compiz (installed compiz from DVD, then the latest via repo) but whenever I enable it in Gnome 3 it immediately makes Gnome crash (the black Ooops screen is shown). The first time I got this in Gnome it said that the Alternative Status Menu was the cause. Disabling this didn’t help. Then I removed it and tried again. Still crashes. I reinstalled opensuse without all the extra stuff, only what the installer proposed and tried again afterwards. Still crashes Gnome 3. The laptop has a dual Radeon HD5750 in crossfire and uses the radeon drivers that come with opensuse. They give me 3D acceleration so compiz should work fine.
OK, it’s only eye candy but I like it and without it I must say that Gnome looks a bit prehistoric.

I then switched to KDE4 from the login manager and that seems to work fine except when I enable the Desktop Effects in KDE (by using KWIN, not Compiz… like I used to do in opensuse 11.4) nothing crashes there but as soon as I enable an effect from the list, or several effects from the list and press Apply it throws out a message from the system tray that the desktop effects cannot be enabled, followed by a list of effects (of coarse, those I selected). So, result is no desktop effects in KDE either.

Well, that’s brings me back to the good old Windows 3.11.

So I thought it was all related to the radeon drivers not wokring like it should with the new KMS method they’re using. So I downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers from AMD and followed the exact installation procedure and extra tweaks that I need to perform to make those drivers work on my laptop (had to do this on opensuse 11.4 and it was the only way to get them to work correctly) but this time, whatever I try, they install correct but at the next reboot all I get when GDM or KDM loads is a black screen and the laptop hangs. Nothing works. Nomodeset as bootparameter solves a lot of displaycard issues but results in loosing all 3D capabilities and this is not the goal either.

Tried several catalyst versions, all the same problems. When I upgrade my opensuse 11.4 to 12.1 (with the Catalyst drivers already installed it loads the login manager just fine but when I launch Gnome it just shows me the wallpaper, nothing more. Uninstalling en reinstalling new drivers then results back in a black screen.

I must say that I had quite some issues to get opensuse 11.4 up and running with the Radon drivers and 3D support (both with desktop effects in KDE en Gnome 2) but that is due to the problematic drivers from AMD. But with a couple of small tweaks I was able to install them and use them. But even those tweaks do not work on opensuse 12.1.

Terrible to see that such a nice operating systems fails to work properly on a laptop that costs more than 3000€.

If someone has similar issues with ATI and Desktop effect and knows how to solve them, please let me know. Until then I continue to use opensuse 11.4 and Windows 7.

You posted this in a subforum for asking technical help with problems in the Install/boot/Login area of openSUSE.

I fail to see what exactly your technical question/problem is.

A story like this should go into General Chitchat subforum of the Community and Fun Forum IMHO.

Not being able to log in (black screen) after driver installation; not being able to install or configure ATI drivers; not being able to use compiz/kwin desktop effects; not being able to use gnome after an upgrade…

Does this look like a setup/install problem or not?

I was hoping to find someone with similar issues and possibly a solution, not to chitchat about how I like it not being able to use an OS like it is supposed to work.

That’s all. If I explain the issues in one line it won’t be clear. I described the issues and steps already taken before I got stuck. Tried everything reinstalled at least 6 times to find myself getting stuck at the same spot. So yes I have issues to resolve and not to chitchat. Sorry.

On 2011-12-15 23:26, LRE wrote:
> So yes I have issues to resolve and not to chitchat.

I’m sorry, but the problem description is not clear to me either. And I
read it twice.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

He is having video issues.

More definitive info may allow others to assist.

1. What model laptop model?
  2. Graphics chipset (post the entry pertaining to graphics card only)
 /sbin/lspci -nnk

I must say that I had quite some issues to get opensuse 11.4 up and running with the Radon drivers and 3D support (both with desktop effects in KDE en Gnome 2) but that is due to the problematic drivers from AMD. But with a couple of small tweaks I was able to install them and use them. But even those tweaks do not work on opensuse 12.1.

What tweaks were these? More detail please.

Was KMS disabled as part of your install of the proprietary graphic drivers?

1. The laptop is an Alienware M17x-R2 with Dual Radeon HD 5870 Crossfire videocards.

2. output from LSPCI concerning the videocards:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Broadway XT [Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series] [1002:68a0]
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:043a]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series] [1002:aa58]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Broadway XT [Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series] [1002:68a0]
Kernel driver in use: radeon

The tweaks I did to get the Radeon drivers from the AMD website working is the following :
After building and installing the fglrx ATI driver rpm package I performed the following actions (which made the whole 3D stuff and acceleration work just fine). Without those tweaks I always ran into black screens when the systems boots, I was not able to use the terminal consoles (CTRL-ALT-F2 to F6) because they turn out to be black screens, I could only log in to the KDE or Gnome desktop once. At each logout I get a black screen at the KDM login screen (even at the GDM if I switch).
So I did the following :

aticonfig --initial
aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE
ls -lh /etc/modprobe.d/50-fglrx.conf (to check if the file exists, if yes, next step, if no, create one to blacklist the suse provide driver from being used)
depmod -a
ldconfig
modprobe -v fglrx
Set NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=“yes” in /etc/sysconfig/kernel to disable the use of KMS (otherwise I keep getting these black screens)
mkinitrd

Reboot machine.
This way all works just fine and I can upgrade to each new radeon driver package from AMD when it comes out by just installing the RPM.

The problem now is that all the above is what I now tried to do on opensuse 12.1 but it just doesn’t work. I loose all 3D acceleration when installing the AMD native radeon drivers. Gnome starts up but just show the background image, nothing more. KDE starts but no 3D.

I hope that when I get these things solved out I’m able to use the machine as I did before and that other stuff is not failing to work correctly as well.
An operating system to me is something that should be installed, updated and provided with necessary hardware drivers and get to work, not to reinstall it more than 10 times, searching days for resolutions of what is supposed to be a simple thing to do.
Linux came from a long whay (I started to use opensuse when it still was suse 6.3). Since than a lot has been changed and improved but I can’t accept things like this to happen in the year 2011 with all the powerful hardware and knowledge which is now available.
Each version of opensuse I installed on all my pc’s was always with a lot of trial and error, research and reinstalling until I got it right. But this takes too much time and I don’t have all that time to do it.

I hope the information I provided now is enough to give you ad idea of what is going on on my laptop.

Thanks.

Mate . I gonna tell you , I just bought a Alienware 14 M2 and the OpenSuse 12.1 not even boots up !!! , it starts to boot and suddenly my display start to blink with randon lighs color and a bit noise starts to goes off . If a turn the light off , it look like a Rave party !!!
I have been using Suse for 10 years , I had worked on suse brasil and everything but I have to admite , I have enough !! I’m going to try another distro .
All the best !!

This is an old thread.

I see this is your first post.

You joined to just post that ? You do understand this is a support forum of unpaid openSUSE volunteer/enthusiasts, and we do not package the distribution, nor are we developers.

I suspect it is possible to get 12.1 to boot on your PC, with the appropriate boot code. I see no evidence that you attempted such.

Often the boot code ‘nomodeset’ is sufficient to allow one’s PC to boot, after which there may be possibilities to tune the graphics further.

If you start a new thread, and post with an appropriate title asking for help, I am confident a number of our volunteers will chime-in and try to help.

My apologize for my attitude , I was a bit angry about that . But problem like that make people give up opensuse and try another distros . anyway , your tip ( nomodeset ) works . good job . Thanks