Lost sound

I just did a “zypper up” and immediately afterwards I got this error when I tried to use mpg123. I thought pulse audio was the default sound module.

High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3
        version 1.23.8; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others
        free software (LGPL) without any warranty but with best wishes
[src/libout123/legacy_module.c:40] error: Unable to open requested module 'pulse'.
[src/libout123/legacy_module.c:42] error: The only available statically compiled module is 
'oss'.
[src/libout123/libout123.c:432] error: Found no driver out of [pulse] working with device <
default>.
main: [src/mpg123.c:333] error: out123 error 3: failure loading driver module

Any suggestions?

The actual command being executed is…

mpg123 -o pulse  --control --loop 10 http://eu7.fastcast4u.com:6154

Run it without “-o pulse”.

And maybe file a bug report at http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/ that the “pulse” output is missing (and also “alsa” btw, only “oss” is available).

Not so easy…
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3
version 1.23.8; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others
free software (LGPL) without any warranty but with best wishes
[src/libout123/modules/oss.c:174] error: Can’t open default sound device!
[src/libout123/libout123.c:432] error: Found no driver out of [oss] working with device <default>.
main: [src/mpg123.c:333] error: out123 error 3: failure loading driver module

It seems to me that something else has happened.
System Leap 42.2 uptodated. The mpg123 error has happened a few days ago after ususal packets’ update.

Works fine here.

But it may be that PulseAudio or some other application is blocking the sound card (oss doesn’t support sound playback by several programs at the same time).

Try to route the output to PulseAudio via “padsp mpg123 xxx.mp3”…

It seems to me that something else has happened.

The thing that happened is that mpg123 got added to the standard distribution, Packman’s package is now just a link to the one in TW.
And apparently the new package is only built with oss support.

As I said, somebody should write a bug report about this.

Btw, I just saw that somebody submitted a “fix” already:
https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/460504

So that should probably change soon.

Though it seems they want to wait for the legal team’s decision whether mpg123 is acceptable in the distribution before that change is done. So it may still take a while…

FYI, the mpg123 package on Packman has been reverted to the old state 2 hours ago.
So this should be available again later today (including alsa and pulse support).

But as it is a downgrade (version 1.22.4 instead of 1.23.8), you will have to install the older version manually.

PS: At least the Packman mirror I use (packman.inode.at) does have the old version again meanwhile.
So try to downgrade or re-install mpg123.

You may have to install mpg123-pulse or mpg123-all manually though to get pulse support.
The standard package only supports oss and alsa (but the latter should work with PulseAudio too).

I installed version 1.22.4 and mpg123 works again. Thank you very much for the advice.