Lost Plymouth bootsplash animation on system startup

Several days ago, I attempted to make a change to the kernel boot options via the Yast Bootloader module but encountered a system freeze (related to an bug/issue that I have detailed in another thread here) requiring a hard reset. I do not know if it was that very incident, but (if not, I noticed very) shortly afterwards, and ever since, I have lost the Plymouth bootsplash animation (the theme is called “openSUSE”, though I actually think that someone else better described it as “fireflies” :stuck_out_tongue: ) whenever the system starts up (cold/hard or warm/soft boots). The monitors display the BIOS POST messages and the benign cosmetic GRUB2 error (discussed here) and then go blank until the KDM screen comes up.

On logout/shutdown, the Plymouth openSUSE/“firefiles” splash is shown as expected.

I have tried

sudo /usr/sbin/plymouthd; plymouth --show-splash

plymouth-set-default-theme --rebuild-initrd openSUSE

and even trying just mkinitrd alone.

But nothing good comes from any of that.

No mention on bugzilla of any similar problem.

Then I looked through the system log files. By searching for KMS (suspecting there might be an error there) I discovered the absence of a very different kms! Specifically, and presumably up to the point before where the bootsplash stopped working, the system log reveals that the very first entries for each boot are

imklog 5.8.11, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.8.11" x-pid="580" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start

Then later in the day and ever since, I see only the likes of

rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="5.10.0" x-pid="630" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start

at the commencement of a new boot.

First off, imklog is the Kernel Log Input Module.

Second, checking Yast SM > Extras > Show History > indicates that I did update rsylog to a new version that day that the bootsplash stopped working, but there is nothing in the install history corresponding to imklog. Delving deeper, I see that imklog is actually included in the rsyslog package.

Third, I enabled plymouth debug option (by adding the plymouth:debug kernel boot option), and while I’m no expert here, it appears from the plymouth log file (by default its written to /var/log/plymouth-debug.log, though you can alter that if you wish) that things are, from Plymouth’s perspective, working as they are supposed to.

But very obviously from visual inspection of the startup process, things aren’t behaving as expected. And that’s as far as I’ve gotten so far with this. It would appear that imklog is not being initialized. Is this the root of the problem preventing the bootsplash animation from being displayed during system startup? I don’t know, but next up (when I get a chance) will be an examination of any rsyslog documentation to see what I can glean from that. Hopefully this is not a red herring.

Would appreciate any other suggestions/ideas/knowledge.

TIA

That’s a lot of changes made that could influence the boot process. I’d say you’d best check the video mode in Yast - System - Bootloader and set it to 1024x768. The bootloader code gets rewriten, and should thus bring back the splash screen.

The changes were done on a one to one basis to reboots.

I’d say you’d best check the video mode in Yast - System - Bootloader
which reminds me, has anyone else noticed that the Yast bootloader module introduces a needless whitespace to the start of the default kernel boot options line ? My first option listed happens to be framebuffer video option, and without fail, making changes via the module places a space before the video= even after I remvoe it. Seems to be a harmless bug/error (noticed that it has been present all along).

and set it to 1024x768. The bootloader code gets rewriten, and should thus bring back the splash screen.
yes, I forgot to mention that I have tried altering the video modes too, unsuccessfully.

Been meaning to update:

I’m pretty sure this is a case of this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plymouth/+bug/540801

Every once in a while I catch a glimpse of plymouth … the faster monitors, in particular, will show a little bit more of it.

What is the value of GRUB_TERMINAL in /etc/default/grub and do you have any command(s) “terminal_output …” in grub.cfg, like

terminal_output gfxterm

?

GRUB_TERMINAL=gfxterm

and do you have any command(s) “terminal_output …” in grub.cfg, like

terminal_output gfxterm

?

yes

OK, but as far as I understand you do not even see grub2 menu, am I correct? So it sounds like grub2 puts your graphic in some strange mode. Try to change GRUB_TERMINAL to “console” and recreate config (update-bootloader --refresh). Do you see text-mode grub2 menu in this case?

No, sorry, my apologies: upon review, I see that I messed up the original description, such that (by way of omission of a large piece of info) I only made it seem as you have described. I do indeed see the grub2 menu. My original description should have read as follows (omitted detail denoted):

“The monitors display the BIOS POST messages and the benign cosmetic GRUB2 error (discussed here) and then go blank for about 2 seconds until the GRUB2 menu appears and then after boot selection (either manual or via timeout) the monitors go to a blank screen, I catch a glimpse of the two lines “fast boot” (described here: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/479131-how-hide-boot-message-doing-fast-boot.html) and then the monitors go blank yet again until the DM screen comes up”.

Only now, as I mentioned last night, I would be further changing that description to this (insertion denoted)

“The monitors display the BIOS POST messages and the benign cosmetic GRUB2 error (discussed here) and then go blank for about 2 seconds until the GRUB2 menu appears and then after boot selection (either manual or via timeout) the monitors go to a blank screen, I catch a glimpse of the two lines “fast boot” (described here: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/479131-how-hide-boot-message-doing-fast-boot.html) and then the monitors go blank yet again until* the DM screen comes up … * though every once in a while on a boot, I do catch a momentary glimpse of the end of the plymouth splash just prior to the DM screen coming up – the faster monitors, in particular, will show a little bit more of it (the end of the Plymouth splash) prior to the DM screen then the slower monitors.”

And when I say momentary glimpse, I’m talking on the order of a tenth of a second or so. A few people describe similar like behaviour in that Launchpad link I provided