LOST PASSWORD / RECOVERY / UNENCRYPTED DISK

I lost the password for my ASUS N75SF running leap 15.1 during moving (it was in a book that got lost with other valuables and is out of my memory). It appears all user data is accessible (disk not encrypted), the only difficulty I see at the moment is how to recover the TunderBird (“TB”) data.I do not want to touch the disk, so I have installed 15.1 at a new (bigger) hard-disk, and can access my data on the original disk via USB.

As a first step, I want to reinstall Thunderbird, including all data. My plan is as follows:

a) Install ThunderBird.

b) Copy all TB system data from ‘original’ system disk / partition (/usr/lib64/thunderbird) onto
the corresponding partition on the new disk.

c) Copy all TB system data from ‘original’ user disk / partition (/’name’/.thunderbird) onto
the corresponding partition on the new disk.

Does the above approach make sense? Comments are very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jan Christian

Hi Jan, I’ve done this many times. You don’t need to do your step b). You only need to copy $HOME/.thunerbird to keep all of the mails/configurations/e-mail addresses and etc.

I would change that “You don’t need to do your step b)” into: do not do step b.
That is system data, not user data. You would overwrite parts of the installed packet with, at the best, the same files, at the worst files from another version then the installed one.

BTW, you are apparently not interested in changing that password in one you know, but it is not clear to me which password you are talking about. When it is the user’s password, the it is of course easy for root to set that to something and the tell it to the user (but I wonder how a user can forget a password he needs at login).

When it is the root password, that can of course be set by booting from a rescue system (can e.g. be a install medium)

Hello and thanks for the feedback!

I did the exercise (without item ‘b’ as suggested), and I am surprised how
little time it took and how smooth it went.

RGDS,
Jan Christian

BTW if you want to change your password it’s really easy with a method that i use

1. Make a live usb of opensuse(or any other distro)

2. Boot from it

3. Open a file manager

4. Go to your harddisk(the one with the locked user)

5. Right click and open terminal here then run

sudo chroot .

(with the dot, for password try just hitting enter or try linux;))

1. run
passwd urusernamehere

(where urusernamehere put ur actuall username)